PDA

View Full Version : Petal Wilder or Petal Psion:

killem2
2012-11-08, 12:02 PM
I'm a DM myself. My friend who has also been a DM, will be running his own sessions soon so I can take a break. Anyone can be anything they want as long as your total ECL is 2 or less. Well, in my session a good friend of ours, lets call her Josie, wants to play a psionic class. Well, it was a toss up between the Psion and Wilder.

Looking at the Petal it is actually a great race for either.

This dm, is a stickler about words. I had to fight tooth and nail and personally get sources from 'ol curmegeddon for books to allow my catfolk fighter (before I changed to golaith cleric) to use a fighter variant from the drow of the underdark book. He said since it appeared in that book he wasn't sure it was allowed for other races except drow.

Well, I'm sure he's going to question the Cohort thing.

What are some convincing arguments to allow the Petal to be a playable class? Overall the entire group is fairly stacked with good classes. Ghost Elf wizard, Strongheart halfling warlock, orc or possibly half-orge barbarian, goliath cleric, Thri-kreen soon to be dungeon crasher fighter, (leveling via hd progression to start at level 1 with us), and this psion or wilder.

I don't think he'll deny it out of any power reason, just that it says cohort on the page entry.

She's going to start off as just the petal then become ecl 3 when she can take her first class level.

Now that I have been given the go ahead for a Petal, which would be a better path? Psion or Wilder? This is a straight to 20 class.

Darius Kane
2012-11-08, 12:33 PM
When a creature has just one RHD, you can replace it with a class level.

VGLordR2
2012-11-08, 12:40 PM
If you look at the Glossary entry for Level Adjustment (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_leveladjustment&alpha=L), there isn't really anything prohibiting anyone from playing a (cohort) race. All it says is that they "may be problematic as PCs", and that they are recommended for use as cohorts. By RAW, such creatures are perfectly legal to play, but the DM is advised to be wary of allowing these races to be playable.

killem2
2012-11-08, 01:17 PM
When a creature has just one RHD, you can replace it with a class level.

While true, that would put her at ECL 3 :(

Darius Kane
2012-11-08, 01:37 PM
While true, that would put her at ECL 3 :(
She'll still be ECL 3 even with 1 RHD. :smallconfused:

killem2
2012-11-08, 01:50 PM
She'll still be ECL 3 even with 1 RHD. :smallconfused:

DOH!

I see what you mean. SO she could be a level 1 psion/wilder, but she would be ecl three, instead of just a monster.

Can't believe a missed that.

Alright, well, that might ruin the entire thing. :(

killem2
2012-11-08, 03:14 PM
UPDATE: Woot, he approved it as is, she'll just arrive slightly later in the story on that same day.

So, lets change the subject,

Wilder or Psion?

:D

Arcanist
2012-11-08, 03:16 PM
UPDATE: Woot, he approved it as is, she'll just arrive slightly later in the story on that same day.

Wilder or Psion?

Neither. Go with Erudite. If you can get StP Erudite, go with that instead.

EDIT: Or just go with Psion for Intelligence being so dang useful :smallbiggrin:

killem2
2012-11-08, 04:23 PM
Neither. Go with Erudite. If you can get StP Erudite, go with that instead.

EDIT: Or just go with Psion for Intelligence being so dang useful :smallbiggrin:

She really wants Petal :P rp reasons, it just happens to be super uber for either class lol.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-08, 04:24 PM
She really wants Petal :P rp reasons, it just happens to be super uber for either class lol.

Erudite is a class.

killem2
2012-11-08, 04:42 PM
Erudite is a class.

Oh my bad! :smallredface::smallredface::smallredface:

Fable Wright
2012-11-08, 06:18 PM

Wilder or Psion?

Psion, definitely. Wilder's main strength is that they can gish with their 3/4 BAB, and can occasionally eke out a couple of extra points of damage with their Wild Surge. Psion has much more versatility, and doesn't rely on blasting (which the ECL penalizes a lot) as much as the Wilder.

Draz74
2012-11-08, 06:32 PM
Erudite is a class.

Well, technically, it's a Class Variant. Not a Class, strictly speaking. (A multiclass Psion/Erudite isn't allowed.)

[/nitpick]

Rubik
2012-11-08, 07:09 PM
Psion is ALWAYS my choice between psion and wilder. And for a race with LA, consider the shaper psion. Its powers are amazing for conserving power points and for low-ML manifestations. 1 pp for 1 cubic foot of vegetable-based poison for 1 hour can be useful even in high levels.

killem2
2012-11-08, 08:16 PM
Just a slight side question, if she as a Petal, uses Expanded Knowledge to snag Compression, she could be come Diminutive right? :smallconfused::smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2012-11-08, 11:20 PM
Yes. Or Fine, with the augment.

Rejakor
2012-11-08, 11:27 PM
There is a weird RAW loophole with wilder where it states you automatically count any Wild Surged power as fully augmented - regardless of if you spent the pp to augment it or not.

That actually makes the Wilder a good alternative to Psion.

However people crap bricks at the idea of playing that and argue the RAW until the cows come home so unless your group is cool with it, just play Psion as there is no difference except that wilder doesn't have the pp or the powers known to be anywhere near as useful or fun to play as the psion.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-11-08, 11:42 PM
The real problem with wilder is how damn few powers you actually know.

killem2
2012-11-09, 12:04 AM
After talking it over with her, she's going Psion. Thanks everyone!