PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Rat-Catcher

White_Drake
2012-11-08, 07:59 PM
After nearly being killed by several swarms of rats in an old sewer, I came up with the idea of a grizzled old rat-catcher who had the irritating habit of comparing everything to some (most likely fictional) tale about his experiences as a rat-catcher, e.g. if you were fighting mummies he would talk about the "great sand rat swarms of '92" and how they lost a lot of good men that year "have you ever seen a sand rat swarm, boy? A hideous ravening mass that'll tear you to shreds soon as look at you!". At any rate, he'd be middle aged, and a high level adventurer, but nobody would know it because all of his abilities pertain to the killing of rats. My question is about finding crunch to support the fluff; can anybody think of thematically appropriate options?

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-08, 08:02 PM
Warblade or Bard with perform oratory (go for the grizzled sergeant)...

Seharvepernfan
2012-11-08, 08:07 PM
He wouldn't need to be high level. I think a stereotypical rat catcher would be a rogue or ranger - the skills needed are similar to those classes. Rangers have favored enemy (animal), as well as plenty of animal related abilities and spells.

If he's old and grizzled, with a lot of experience, he should probablly just be 5th level or so. I'd pick a riding dog as the animal companion, or else a weasel.

nedz
2012-11-08, 08:11 PM
There was a rat catcher class in WHFRP :smallsmile:

Ranger Favoured Enemy (Vermin) sounds about right.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-08, 08:13 PM

You mean favored enemy animal and favored enemy magical beast, yes?

GreenSerpent
2012-11-08, 08:19 PM

Rats have the creature type Vermin.

White_Drake
2012-11-08, 08:25 PM
Hmmm... Maybe a ranger with a houseruled favored enemy (rats)? I like the idea of a weasel, terrier, or cat for an animal companion too.

Archmage1
2012-11-08, 08:49 PM
Does he catch them, or does he kill them,
If he catches them... probably want some way to make nets and cages.
If he kills them, probably wants some sort of AOE damage(I am thinking dealing with swarm subtype)

Telonius
2012-11-08, 08:49 PM
Would Pipes of the Sewers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pipesoftheSewers) be too obvious?

Darrin
2012-11-08, 08:58 PM

You beat me to it. I was going to say, he has to have a Small But Vicious Dog. Otherwise, it's not a rat-catcher.

Zahhak
2012-11-08, 09:46 PM
If he catches them... probably want some way to make nets and cages.

With this mentality, he's probably a Ranger (for stated reasons), possibly crossed with Rogue (would probably have better abilities in the sewers and more craft ranks). I'm thinking there's some improved favored enemy feat somewhere, that plus a Skill Focus (Craft Trap) would be a very good start. Maybe include a Skill Focus (Survival) which seems like it would be pretty useful for tracking. Maybe ranks in Knowledge (Local) with another Skill Focus depending on number of feats.

If he kills them, probably wants some sort of AOE damage(I am thinking dealing with swarm subtype)

And with this, Ranger, possibly crossed with sorcerer speced out as a nuker. In this case I'd probably swap out Skill Focus (Local) for a metamagic feat, but keep the skill array.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-08, 10:06 PM
Rats have the creature type Vermin.

No they don't.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#verminType

"Vermin Type

This type includes insects, arachnids, other arthropods, worms, and similar invertebrates. "

nedz
2012-11-08, 10:10 PM

It seems you are right, unless they were Zombie Rats of course.

This almost belongs in the dysfunctional rules thread: Rats are not vermin !