PDA

View Full Version : What if Druid Casting Was charisma based?

silverwolfer
2012-11-08, 09:51 PM
Am just throwing this up, what if druid casting was charisma based instead, what would you do with it?

Venusaur
2012-11-08, 09:54 PM
A druid would have lower will saves and higher social skill checks. Not much of a change, really.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-08, 09:54 PM
Am just throwing this up, what if druid casting was charisma based instead, what would you do with it?

Arcane Hierophant would become slightly more attractive, and the various Charisma to Y abilities would be nice, but not necessarily worth a dip. Fey Druids would probably become more powerful as well.

nedz
2012-11-08, 09:59 PM
Druids would get all the girls, and wouldn't need to bother with the animals quite so much.:smallbiggrin:

Cranthis
2012-11-08, 10:00 PM
Arcane Hierophant would become slightly more attractive, and the various Charisma to Y abilities would be nice, but not necessarily worth a dip. Fey Druids would probably become more powerful as well.

As far as I can tell, Arcane Hierophant has nothing charisma based, so that part made no sense.

Venusaur
2012-11-08, 10:03 PM
As far as I can tell, Arcane Hierophant has nothing charisma based, so that part made no sense.

You can Theurge with sorcerer and be Charisma SAD.

Cranthis
2012-11-08, 10:06 PM
You can Theurge with sorcerer and be Charisma SAD.

True. But you can do that with a feat and take wizard casting instead, which is much better.

ravagerofworlds
2012-11-08, 10:23 PM
Druid communes would be far more popular, and might even give competition to organized religion. Sure there are hippies, but there are hot hippies, and a "natural law" sort of vibe of procreation and herbal vision quests.

I see a holy war between organized religion and the druid communes.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-08, 10:32 PM
True. But you can do that with a feat and take wizard casting instead, which is much better.

You're talking about Academic Priest, right? It a) is 3rd party and so might not be allowed and b) only affects bonus spells, not minimum score or DC, and since AH builds are usually primarily Druid-based, those two hurt. Reducing MAD is attractive.

Cranthis
2012-11-08, 10:35 PM
You're talking about Academic Priest, right? It a) is 3rd party and so might not be allowed and b) only affects bonus spells, not minimum score or DC, and since AH builds are usually primarily Druid-based, those two hurt. Reducing MAD is attractive.

I am talking about Lost Tradition. It's 3rd edition, but so far, it seems most dms allow it.

Mithril Leaf
2012-11-08, 10:56 PM
The Giant put up a feat that let you do this, which was released under OGC, but the page has been removed. I'll post it here for posterity.

Fey Blood (General)
You have one or more fey as ancestors, and as a result your druid powers come naturally to you rather than from any great insight into the nature of the world.
Prerequisites: Cha 11+, ability to speak the Sylvan language, humanoid or giant type.
Benefit: Your druid spellcasting powers are based on Charisma rather than Wisdom. To prepare or cast a druid spell, you must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, and you gain bonus spells based on your Charisma score. The DC for saving throws against your druid spells is 10 + the spell's level + your Charisma modifier. This feat does not alter the means by which you prepare or cast druid spells; you must still prepare spells in advance, as normal. Because you are using your natural fey connection to nature as the conduit for your magical powers rather than any great insight, your spells are considered to be partially fey magic. Any druid of 4th level or higher with the Resist Nature's Lure class ability gains a +2 bonus to saving throws against your druid spells.
Special: You may only select this feat at 1st level, though you need not possess the druid class at that time. Your DM may limit this feat to certain appropriate races that would be likely to have crossbred with fey over the history of the campaign world.

It can be found on the wayback machine (http://web.archive.org/web/20090321185259/http://www.giantitp.com/articles/3CsX278ZDGQQ62al3RP.html).

I'd like to mix Fey Blood with Unseelie Fey with Sidhe Scholar and Planar Shepherd (of the faerie courts) for all the faerie flavor ever.

silverwolfer
2012-11-09, 12:43 AM
make a fun hearthwarder

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-09, 01:28 AM
They would be weaker at the end of the day due to the loss of a Monk's Belt AC bonus.

Wonton
2012-11-09, 01:35 AM
I think Charisma is almost always reserved for spontaneous casters. Having a prepared caster use Charisma would be weird.

Arcanist
2012-11-09, 01:35 AM
I am talking about Lost Tradition. It's 3rd edition, but so far, it seems most dms allow it.

If you have a DM that allows it, please introduce me to him. I have a bridge to sell him. :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2012-11-09, 01:41 AM

It's also 3rd party, and I've never heard of a DM allowing it other than yours. And, for what it's worth, I'd never allow it for a Druid or Wizard. Paladin or Ranger, maybe, but not a full caster.

silverwolfer
2012-11-09, 01:50 AM
They would be weaker at the end of the day due to the loss of a Monk's Belt AC bonus.

You sure, because now you are suddenly bluffing folks instead of dodging attacks.

The best form of defense is never needing to attack.

ericgrau
2012-11-09, 02:55 AM
First you'd want to get bluff as a class skill somehow. Wild empathy and handle animal checks OTOH will be amazing. The woodland love takes off. And the DM doesn't even need to be loose with the skill rulings. I mean a druid makes a DC 30 check to get another bear to follow him around, sure, why not?

Draz74
2012-11-09, 03:13 AM
The Giant put up a feat that let you do this, which was released under OGC, but the page has been removed. I'll post it here for posterity.

No need for the Wayback Machine; it's still available on a sticky thread of the Homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10546562&postcount=11).

Mystral
2012-11-09, 07:15 AM
I don't really like that feat (Although the fluff is awesome). It doesn't give you anything. In contrast, your magic gets a drawback. If that were an alternate class feature, and gave a small boon in exchange for the weakness against druids, it would be okay.

Talya
2012-11-09, 08:28 AM
I am playing a Fey Druid in a campaign right now (based in the Giant's homebrew, but the DM gave me the "feat" for free, as it confers no bonuses, just a stat swap and a penalty.)

Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar Fey Druid of Lurue with Vow of Poverty and a Unicorn exalted companion.

nedz
2012-11-09, 08:29 AM
I think Charisma is almost always reserved for spontaneous casters. Having a prepared caster use Charisma would be weird.
Then use the Spontaneous Druid variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm).

If you have a DM that allows it, please introduce me to him. I have a bridge to sell him. :smalltongue:
I think that they have an underground canal these days.

The best form of defense is never needing to attack.

The best form of defence is to have someone else die for you.
Hence: Summon Natures Ally

Talya
2012-11-09, 08:31 AM
I am playing a Fey Druid in a campaign right now (based in the Giant's homebrew, but the DM gave me the "feat" for free, as it confers no bonuses, just a stat swap and a penalty.)

Magic-Blooded Lesser Aasimar Fey Druid of Lurue with Vow of Poverty and a Unicorn exalted companion.

Here she is:
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=47777

(Before you ask, yes, Natural Spell is banned.)

Mishkov
2012-11-09, 09:24 AM
Here she is:
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=47777

(Before you ask, yes, Natural Spell is banned.)

OH GOD WHAT IS THAT TREE DOING TO THAT POOR WOMAN??

Gnaeus
2012-11-09, 10:48 AM
OH GOD WHAT IS THAT TREE DOING TO THAT POOR WOMAN??

Something likely to result in a Verdant Bloodline Sorcerer.