PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help making a mounted character.

Thurmin
2012-11-08, 10:52 PM
I'll be starting a new campaign. Beginning 1st level and progressing onwards. The module we're using is suppose to carry us to somewhere around 15th level.

We will be using Pathfinder system. I am limited to only the Pathfinder books. I haven't been informed what starting stats will be, whether they are point buy, rolled or pre-generated.

I don't know what the others are planning to play, but I am feeling the need to play a small race with a mount. For S&Gs, as well as the groans from my fellow players and DM.

That being said, I was initially set on a Goblin Worg or Wolf rider, but looking through the books I thought that a Boar Shaman Druid might work better. So my build/progression would be Dragoon Fighter 1/Boar Shaman Druid 2/Beast Rider Gendarme Cavalier 1/Boar Shaman Druid 3+

My feat progression would be:
1 - Mounted Combat (Dragoon bonus feat), Skill Focus-Ride (Dragoon Bonus), Power Attack (1st Level), Improved Bull Rush (Fighter Bonus)
2 - Druid Abilities
3 - Totem Transformation (Boar Shaman ability), Trample feat
4 - Exotic Mount (Beast Rider Cavalier), Ride-By Attack (Gendarme Bonus)
5 - Spirited Charge feat
6 - Druid Abilities
7 - Unseat feat
8+ Undecided...

This would allow me the fun of my melee attacks while keeping my spellcasting goodness.

Am I being overly silly about this build? Is it effective or am I hamstringing myself?

doko239
2012-11-08, 11:33 PM
I'll be starting a new campaign. Beginning 1st level and progressing onwards. The module we're using is suppose to carry us to somewhere around 15th level.

We will be using Pathfinder system. I am limited to only the Pathfinder books. I haven't been informed what starting stats will be, whether they are point buy, rolled or pre-generated.

I don't know what the others are planning to play, but I am feeling the need to play a small race with a mount. For S&Gs, as well as the groans from my fellow players and DM.

That being said, I was initially set on a Goblin Worg or Wolf rider, but looking through the books I thought that a Boar Shaman Druid might work better. So my build/progression would be Dragoon Fighter 1/Boar Shaman Druid 2/Beast Rider Gendarme Cavalier 1/Boar Shaman Druid 3+

My feat progression would be:
1 - Mounted Combat (Dragoon bonus feat), Skill Focus-Ride (Dragoon Bonus), Power Attack (1st Level), Improved Bull Rush (Fighter Bonus)
2 - Druid Abilities
3 - Totem Transformation (Boar Shaman ability), Trample feat
4 - Exotic Mount (Beast Rider Cavalier), Ride-By Attack (Gendarme Bonus)
5 - Spirited Charge feat
6 - Druid Abilities
7 - Unseat feat
8+ Undecided...

This would allow me the fun of my melee attacks while keeping my spellcasting goodness.

Am I being overly silly about this build? Is it effective or am I hamstringing myself?

Couple of options:

1: Sylvan bloodline Sorcerer gets an animal companion at 1st level at an effective Druid level of Sorc-3. Combine that with Boon Companion and a Robe of Arcane Heritage and you wind up with an animal companion at your level+4. If you don't want to be a Sorcerer, just take Eldritch Heritage: Sylvan at 3rd level and boom - instant animal companion, just add awesome.

2: Summoner can give its Eidolon the Mount evolution, in which case you can just build a beast and ride around on it.

3: Mammoth Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/mammoth-rider) PRC is probably where you ultimately want to go. Can you say Huge Tyrannosaur? :smallbiggrin:

Blyte
2012-11-09, 10:56 PM
sylvan bloodline + boon companion + robes of eldritch heritage = awesome combo. but it's better used as a substitute eidolon to hide behind and cast, in my opinion.

the other option you gave with eldritch heritage (sylvan) + boon companion, sounds like an awesome combo for a sohei to take.

your first few sohei levels would be atop a store bought riding dog, but at 3rd you would get your own animal companion class feature.

go halfling for future access to risky striker or goblin if you like saddle shrieker

1 mounted combat
1 ride by attack
2 spirited charge
2 evasion
3 eldritch heritage(sylvan)
4 ki pool goodness
5 boon companion
6 mounted skirmisher
6 weapon training + flurry of blows with your chosen weapon
from here let's switch to fighter (altho cav is a nice choice as well)
7 wheeling charge
7 risky striker
8 power attack
9 weapon focus
10 weapon specialization
11 trick riding
12 improved critical
13 indomitable mount

note: you only get spirited charge weapon multiplier on the first attack of your charge, but it will still be nice getting 2+ more attacks on them at the end of your charge.

so at 6th level you will get lance x 3, lance, lance, and lance again (if you use a ki-point).

I recommend using a small cat or bear animal companion as your mount when you hit 5 and they grow to medium. But that's just a matter of taste. I wouldn't suggest going with any large mounts, because they will prevent a charge in a lot of situations.

edit: forget fighter and go with Cav 7+ order of the sword/gendarme

cavalier's charge is too sweet to pass up on for this build, and since you are going to level 15, you will have the 8th level order of the sword class feature which gives mount str bonus on charges, right on time for taking down Orcus =P

I'd recommend re-skinning the sohei into an outrider style class, and calling his ki pool, "saddle grit".. just for flavor purposes.

gr8artist
2012-11-10, 07:43 AM
I recently rolled up a Barbarian/Cavalier. He and the mount would rage, he added mount's strength on his damage rolls, then tripled all of it because he was using a lance to charge with. Oh yeah, and he was riding a rhinoceros.
Sadly, there's no casting, and not a lot of flavor there.
Also, consider dual-wielding. You can use a lance one-handed in a charge.

Thurmin
2012-11-13, 07:22 PM
Thank you doko239, Blythe and gr8artist.

I'm not keen on playing an arcane caster at this time. I do love the Eldritch Heritage-Sylvan option however. What I cannot find in the books is Boon Companion. Which book is it in?

Blyte
2012-11-13, 10:18 PM
Blyte!

Section 15: Copyright Notice - Pathfinder Chronicles: Seekers of Secrets
Pathfinder Chronicles: Seekers of Secrets. Copyright 2009, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Tim Hitchcock, Erik Mona, Sean K Reynolds, James L. Sutter, and Russ Taylor.

and here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion) in the SRD

Thurmin
2012-11-14, 02:29 AM
My bad Blyte. Thank you for that link!