PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally skipping a turn

Garan
2012-11-08, 11:14 PM
I know this shouldn't be a common occurrence, and it isn't. But sometimes I have one of my players DM a session. We also have a Google Doc set up so we can play by post and don't have to actually meet (we live rather far away from each other).
This player is DMing, when one of the players noticed that his turn had been skipped the previous round. What should happen?

nedz
2012-11-08, 11:33 PM
I've had this happen a few times. We use initiative cards and we also have one player who will interrupt the DM immediately after his go. If your initiative follows this guy then the DM may have turned the card and you miss your go.
I've always managed to catch this, but I've seen another DM get caught out a few times.
Basically all you can do is give them their turn now, as if they had delayed.

Diarmuid
2012-11-09, 08:41 AM
I dont think this is something that can really be handled globally by a single rule. This is very session/round specific and should be handled in the way that best accomodates as many people playing (DM included) with the least amount of retroactive changes required.

If the entire round has gone by, and the player's initiative would have been early in the round it probably makes sense to just shrug it off and try harder to let it not happen again.

If the player's turn was only a couple initiative numbers passed, then it's probably easy to just have them take their turn.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-09, 04:16 PM
If the character hasn't acted, the player has been using Delay - even if that's for more than one round. They act right now (i.e., as soon as they speak up), and that sets their new initiative.

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-09, 05:18 PM
We have a prettly large group of players so this happens to us pretty often actually. Or else somebody is away from the table when their turn comes up and we decide to skip them until they come back.

If we catch it fast enough, we just treat it like the character delayed. Other times, we just let the person take two turns to make up for the lapse.