PDA

View Full Version : Medium Creature - Huge Weapon

Dr.Epic
2012-11-09, 03:12 AM
I was wondering if there was a feasible and practical way for a creature of Medium size to be able to wield a Huge or larger weapon. Although it doesn't have to be Medium and Huge. Really, what I'm asking is how can I make it so a character can wield a weapon two or more size category larger than what they should be able to? I already know about Monkey Grip, but is there anything else that can stack onto this?

Thanks.

Keld Denar
2012-11-09, 03:31 AM
You can get "effectively" huge with any combination of Monkey Grip, Powerful Build, or Strongarm Bracers (none of which stack with each other) combined with the Heavy weapon property from Magic of Faerun. The weapon is merely large, but deals damage as if it were huge.

The only other thing I can think of is the slightly abusive Titan Bloodline, which allows the person to wield a gargantuan warhammer, irregardless of their initial size, be they small, medium, large, or fine/diminutive. Makes absolutely no sense, but then again...

Deophaun
2012-11-09, 03:42 AM
I know there's a low-sih level wizard/sorcerer spell that does allow you to wield a weapon regardless of its size without penalty (due to poor wording). Can't for the life of me remember it.

Keld Denar
2012-11-09, 03:55 AM
Master's Touch? (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010216a)

tyckspoon
2012-11-09, 04:00 AM
I know there's a low-sih level wizard/sorcerer spell that does allow you to wield a weapon regardless of its size without penalty (due to poor wording). Can't for the life of me remember it.

Enlarge Weapon, Complete Scoundrel. Increases your weapon by one size and specifies you take no penalties for an inappropriately-sized weapon. Technically it's a touch spell, but it's written in a way that it only applies to the weapon the caster is holding at the time of casting, and you can't hand it off after casting it. Still, if you wanted to abuse it, you could make an argument that this spell allows you use any arbitrarily-sized weapon for the duration of the spell.

If you want to use it just for what it's actually intended for, it will get you to 2 real size increases above your own size- wield a +1 size weapon via Powerful Build/Strongarm Bracers/etc, and then Enlarge it for +2.

Deophaun
2012-11-09, 04:02 AM
Master's Touch? (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010216a)
No, that grants proficiency.

The intent of the spell was to increase a weapon's size by one category, and then let you wield it without the normal -4 penalty. However, it said something very close to "you do not take any penalties for wielding an oversized weapon." So, you could cast it on your sword, use the sizing weapon enhancement to bring it up to colossal, and go to town.

Edit And swordsaged! That's the one!

Edit 2: And I had it backwards. You acquire a +1 colossal weapon with the sizing enhancement to turn it into a medium weapon for general-use purposes. When you wanted to use enlarge weapon, which does not work with other magical sizing effects, you return the weapon to its original (colossal) size, then cast the spell.

Gwendol
2012-11-09, 10:51 AM
Powerful build + shillelagh makes for a really massive club or quarterstaff.

JBento
2012-11-09, 11:31 AM
Depending on what weapon and on how long you're willing to wait, take the Titan major bloodline.

At level 12, you get, and I quote:

Use Oversized Weapon (as the Titan's special ability).

Let's read that one, shall we?

Oversized Weapon (Ex)
A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty.

So now you get to wield a Gargantuan weapon without penalty. Technically, it has to be a "great, two-handed warhammer." The only two-handed warhammer is the one in the titan description, so, technically, you have to wield one of those (4d6/x3).

It's not beyond the realm of imagination for you to be able to wield a different weapon, in the same way that it isn't beyond the realm of imagination that your DM will rule that you only get to wield a weapon one size above your normal one.

Aliek
2012-11-09, 05:23 PM
There is the (Greater) Mighty Wallop spells from races of the dragon, which makes a blunt weapon deal damage as if it was larger. Now, a club with shillellagh, enlarge weapon, greater mighty wallop and strongarm bracers should prove very interesting...

Gwendol
2012-11-09, 06:07 PM
Shillelagh makes your club or q-staff two sizes bigger. A goliath or half-giant are medium wielding large weapons with no penalty. At level two you can get to wield a gargantuan weapon at no penalty.

tyckspoon
2012-11-09, 06:16 PM
Shillelagh makes your club or q-staff two sizes bigger.

Shillelagh is a virtual size increase- it makes your weapon deal damage as if it was larger without actually increasing size. Those are pretty easy to come by, especially for bludgeoning weapons. (Heavy weapon, Greater Mighty Wallop, etc.)

herrhauptmann
2012-11-09, 06:39 PM
Shillelagh is a virtual size increase- it makes your weapon deal damage as if it was larger without actually increasing size. Those are pretty easy to come by, especially for bludgeoning weapons. (Heavy weapon, Greater Mighty Wallop, etc.)

Heavy weapon (gold/plat) is for any weapon, not just bludgeoning. Slashing/piercing work as well.

To Keld,
I just wanna nitpick (I know you know, but others might not). Heavy weapons just say 'one size larger,' not 'as if huge.'
Also, they were written in 3.0 (magic of faerun) which used different terms for weapon size. So they need a slightly knowledgeable person reading the entry to understand how to convert it.