PDA

View Full Version : Mind Control without going too far

Milo v3
2012-11-09, 06:25 AM
In a PTA game, the DM is allowing me to play a Influencial, which for those who don't play PTA means I can do mind control.

But he said "I'm not allowed to go too far".

Other than using it on every NPC, what would you class as going too far and what would be fair game?

Andreaz
2012-11-09, 06:28 AM
Ask him what "too far" means. Our replies are meaningless, since they aren't his.

Milo v3
2012-11-09, 06:38 AM
Ask him what "too far" means. Our replies are meaningless, since they aren't his.

When I asked this was the following discussion (summarized):

Me: And what would be too far?
DM: I'm not sure as I've never had to deal with the issue before. Just don't abuse it.
Me: Okay...

So really what I'm asking is for a general RPG, what would be considered abusing Mind Control?

Andreaz
2012-11-09, 06:52 AM
Well, then there's nothing to be done. Just keep doing it and when he does the "dude, what the @#(*@(*#" face you shift.

AKA_Bait
2012-11-09, 07:25 AM
Also, I'd consider not using it on every NPC, only when it potentially matters. If your DM has never had a player with your power set before, he may not really know what you can do, so try to feel him/her out about your attempts to influence his NPCs and mess with his/her plans.

Totally Guy
2012-11-09, 08:48 AM
What does the game say about mind control?

Dragonmuncher
2012-11-09, 09:56 AM
What's PTA?

Maybe give yourself a restriction? Like, you'll only use it in a matter of life or death, or, you only use it to prevent violence (For example, you'd have no problem mind controlling a bar about to erupt into a brawl to make everyone take a moment and breathe).

awa
2012-11-09, 10:07 AM
im not familiar with this system but good rules of thumb for mind control.
1) don't mind control the boss
2) don't run around with armies of mind controlled thralls
3) don't use it to acquire inappropriate gear. exactly what this means is very setting dependent
4) don't mind control pcs

Totally Guy
2012-11-09, 10:15 AM
I expect it's Primetime Adventures. I've heard good things about it.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-09, 12:11 PM
Here are some good rules of thumb. I think you should treat it like killing.

0. Ask your DM to clarify what he means.

1. Don't use it on PCs.

2. Try not to use it on Mary Sue plot-critical NPCs.

3. Unnamed mooks are fair game for whatever hilarious/disturbing/game-shattering mind-control shenanigans you can think of.

4. Do not use it on rooms full of attractive women to become your sex slaves. Especially underage women. The DM will despise your character and arrange his swift, untimely end. Pretend your character has morals if necessary.

5. Using mind-controlled innocents to check for traps is frowned upon. Former enemies, on the other hand, are acceptable casualties to schadenfreude.

6. Do not use it on shopkeeps. It will work exactly once, and will earn you the DM's entire supply of RAGE :smallfurious:.

nedz
2012-11-09, 02:56 PM
Here are some good rules of thumb. I think you should treat it like killing.

0. Ask your DM to clarify what he means.

1. Don't use it on PCs.

2. Try not to use it on Mary Sue plot-critical NPCs.

3. Unnamed mooks are fair game for whatever hilarious/disturbing/game-shattering mind-control shenanigans you can think of.

4. Do not use it on rooms full of attractive women to become your sex slaves. Especially underage women. The DM will despise your character and arrange his swift, untimely end. Pretend your character has morals if necessary.

5. Using mind-controlled innocents to check for traps is frowned upon. Former enemies, on the other hand, are acceptable casualties to schadenfreude.

6. Do not use it on shopkeeps. It will work exactly once, and will earn you the DM's entire supply of RAGE :smallfurious:.

this,
though 1 should be

1. Don't use it on PCs, unless you have to
(Eg they have been mind controlled by someone else)

and I'd add

7. Don't use it in the bar.

Milo v3
2012-11-09, 06:37 PM
What does the game say about mind control?
Basically once per day I can spend one turn to plant a suggestion into a characters mind, and once per day I can spend another turn to make them act on the suggestion.
Though I need to make an Intelligence check to make sure it works.

What's PTA?
Pokemon Tabletop Adventures.

Maybe give yourself a restriction? Like, you'll only use it in a matter of life or death, or, you only use it to prevent violence (For example, you'd have no problem mind controlling a bar about to erupt into a brawl to make everyone take a moment and breathe).
Perhaps, as I can only target one person a day with this it would make sense to reserve it.

im not familiar with this system but good rules of thumb for mind control.
1) don't mind control the boss
2) don't run around with armies of mind controlled thralls
3) don't use it to acquire inappropriate gear. exactly what this means is very setting dependent
4) don't mind control pcs
Soiunds good.

Acanous
2012-11-09, 06:45 PM
Personally I'd treat it as "Avoid hard mind control" IE, you can plant your suggestions about people being friendly, predisposed to offering you otherwise sensitive information, or doing something to sabotage an ally in a way that can't be traced back to them, but they won't do anything suicidal, blatantly out of their character, etc.

So you could suggest to a shopkeeper that he likes you and should offer you a discount, because he remembers the good old days and longs for adventure outside of his mundane grind- but you can't force him to give you whatever you can carry for free.

of course, the more RP and motivation you can attatch to your suggestions, the better the results should be with your DM.