PDA

View Full Version : Help me Playground, you're my only hope! (PF core race rebalancing)

Kasbark
2012-11-09, 11:15 AM
Hello playgrounders!

Warning, Wall of Text incomming.

I'm working on homebrew version of pathfinder for my RPG group, and the time has come to look over the races. Hopefully my fellow playgrounders can help me with some inspiration.

The philosophy behind the changes i'm making to races is that i don't want any race to be substantially better at one class than the other races. In normal pathfinder Dwarfs make the best Druids because of their racial bonuses which is something i want to avoid.
I like the idea of alternate racial features, but i want to simplify them a bit.

Here is how i made the Dwarf race in my system (the numbers are subject to tweaking, but you get the idea):

Dwarf:
+2 to any one ability score
+1 to any other ability score
Speed: 20 ft
Slow and Steady: Dwarfs are never slowed down by wearing heavy or medium armor
Darkvision: 60 ft

Pick one:
Defensive Training: Dwarves gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant subtype.
or
Deep Warrior: Dwarves with this racial trait grew up facing the abominations that live deep beneath the surface. They receive a +2 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the aberration type and a +2 racial bonus on saves against combat maneuvers made by such creatures.
Or
Wyrmscourged: Dwarves with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +2 dodge bonus to AC against of dragons.

And pick one:
Hatred: Dwarves gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes because of their special training against these hated foes.
Or
Ancient Enmity: Dwarves have long been in conflict with elves, especially the hated drow. Dwarves with this racial trait receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the elf subtype.
Or
Giant Hunter: Dwarves with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoids with the giant subtype. Furthermore, they gain a +2 bonus on Survival checks to find and follow tracks made by humanoids with the giant subtype.

And pick one:
Hardy: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
Or
Magic Resistant: Some of the older dwarven clans are particularly resistant to magic. Dwarves with this racial trait gain spell resistance equal to 4 + their character level
Or
Stubborn: Dwarves are renowned for their stubbornness. Dwarves with this racial trait receive a +2 racial bonus on Will saves to resist Enchantment spells and spell-like abilities. In addition, if they fail such a save, they receive another save at the end of his next turn to prematurely end the effect.

Now, the ting is, i need ideas and inspiration for the remaining races i'm including in my homebrew - there aren't enough alternate racial traits in the books i have available to simply use those.
The races I'm looking to get suggestions for are:

Elf
Orcblooded (renaimed half-orc)
Tiefling
Aasimar

Thanks alot for any input and suggestions!

Kane0
2012-11-10, 02:22 AM
The way I redid races was like so. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RvcSmnGpcz-jnvpsnOmba1XKvrIpVlYO8heiStzq9iI/edit)

Turns out apart from picking a few brokenish traits it's pretty balanced. Just keep in mind that this does not take into account favored classes.
Add racial abilities as required, and I hope this helps :smallsmile:

Kasbark
2012-11-10, 05:32 AM
Thants an interresting take on it. Consider some of the traits stolen :)