PDA

View Full Version : Wreck it Ralph: Im gonna wreck it!

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-09, 02:37 PM
It was..... Surprisingly great.

It was fun. The videogame jokes worked, there where references for me only, but it was still accessible to everybody else.

I wouldn't put it on par on something like Wall-E, but it wasn't trying to be Wall-E.

It had good characters, a fun plot, and even more surprisingly: Good 3D.

I know! I was shocked! It was because there where lots of panning shots in the movie, where the camera does not cut. As a result, the parts with rapid movement (But not shaky movement) popped up even more.

So yeah. Id give it an 8or9/ 10.

So yeah. Proof that Disney does not need Pixar to survive.

Also surprisingly brutal death for the bad guy. Nothing gory, but absolutely horrifying if you think about it. A contender to the throne of Brutal disney deaths.

Since Disney can't just shoot the bad guy, they instead kill them in highly creative ways. This was one of them. I still think Dr, Facillers scene where he is dragged off to hell is worse, but this is a runner up.

Starbuck_II
2012-11-09, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I saw it Wednesday, was beautiful.

Q-bert was great character. I loved all the "bad guys" were there at the meetings. The main bad guy from that Ghouls and Ghost Knight game where if you got hit you lose your armor and were in underwear was there (that was a hard game btw).

I love Ralph's backstory for the game.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-09, 05:14 PM
I love the backstory of the commander woman.

"Shes programmed witha tragic past" :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2012-11-09, 05:29 PM
Scowling dragon, can you maybe Spoiler that part, or put "Spoilers" in the thread title?

Jayngfet
2012-11-09, 05:56 PM

Honestly all of her bits were kinda flat. I mean like, think of it this way: Her backstory is artificial and she has about a weak of actual experience. These are facts, but they don't factor into how she behaves at all. She strikes me as being just a straight example of the kind of character she's meant to poke fun at.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-09, 06:01 PM
Eh. I guess. I just enjoyed her at face value anyway.

Destro_Yersul
2012-11-09, 06:02 PM
Honestly all of her bits were kinda flat. I mean like, think of it this way: Her backstory is artificial and she has about a weak of actual experience. These are facts, but they don't factor into how she behaves at all. She strikes me as being just a straight example of the kind of character she's meant to poke fun at.

That's sort of the entire point of her character.

Zelkon
2012-11-09, 06:05 PM
Part of the soundtrack is by Skrillex. Therefore, I wish to see.

t209
2012-11-09, 06:09 PM
I wonder Ralph
will have his own franchise, like Donkey Kong.

Jayngfet
2012-11-09, 06:10 PM
That's sort of the entire point of her character.

It's not a well made point though. I mean her programmed backstory is treated as actual events, and her behavior isn't really questioned or assessed. Her being this tough action girl is something taken at face value and she kind of gets shoved into the background compared to every other main character. She isn't all that deep or funny, she just ...is.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-09, 06:11 PM
She isn't all that deep or funny, she just ...is.

Funny is subjective. I found her entertaining.

Winter_Wolf
2012-11-09, 06:18 PM
There's no such thing as good 3D if you already wear glasses. No, not even then.

But I wanna watch this movie if I can find it in 2D. Looks fun. "Worst" case scenario, we miss it in theaters and have to watch it pay per view at home.

t209
2012-11-09, 06:19 PM
My Comment for Wreck it Ralph:
That's the more accurate portrayals of Videogames when compared to other media like Level Up! and CSI:Miami.

Destro_Yersul
2012-11-09, 06:31 PM
It's not a well made point though. I mean her programmed backstory is treated as actual events, and her behavior isn't really questioned or assessed. Her being this tough action girl is something taken at face value and she kind of gets shoved into the background compared to every other main character. She isn't all that deep or funny, she just ...is.

Did you notice how all the other characters follow their programming, to a fault, and not doing so is seen as a dangerous thing? That's one of the rules of the universe. She gets shoved into the background because it's not her movie; she's supporting cast. Felix gets shoved into the background a bit too. She's a send-up of tough female action girls, and she plays it straight because if she didn't it wouldn't work nearly as well as it does.

The real tragedy of her character is that she's done better than actual female video-game characters.

Nomrom
2012-11-09, 06:39 PM
I thought it was fantastic. Probably my favorite animated movie in years. The jokes were funny, the story was well done, and it was overall a very enjoyable watching experience.

TheEmerged
2012-11-09, 06:40 PM
I have to agree - they aimed for 6-7 of 10 and hit 8 of 10. Surprisingly entertaining - not grand or epic like, saying, John Carter or Avengers but worth the money I paid to see it in the theater. I don't think I'll buy the DVD.

As to 3D, I wear glasses and it works fine for me, in fact the modern one is the first 3D that's ever worked for me (I'm mildly crosseyed).

BiblioRook
2012-11-09, 06:44 PM
While I did enjoy the movie, one criticism I would have to voice would be the romantic sub-plot with Commander Calhoun and Felix.
It seemed awkward and forced and nothing probably would have changed if it were just simply removed altogether.

Mando Knight
2012-11-09, 06:56 PM
So yeah. Proof that Disney does not need Pixar to survive.
They assimilated them anyway, and haven't really been in financial trouble for a while, considering that they bought Pixar and Marvel and are in the process of doing the same with Lucasfilm.

Mewtarthio
2012-11-09, 07:42 PM
They assimilated them anyway.

That makes it sound like Disney swallowed Pixar. It's more like the food-borne parasite of Pixar has navigated to Disney's brain and given it an acute, life-threatening case of AWESOME.

By which I mean the co-founder of Pixar has become the president of Disney Animation.

Jayngfet
2012-11-10, 01:37 AM
Did you notice how all the other characters follow their programming, to a fault, and not doing so is seen as a dangerous thing? That's one of the rules of the universe. She gets shoved into the background because it's not her movie; she's supporting cast. Felix gets shoved into the background a bit too. She's a send-up of tough female action girls, and she plays it straight because if she didn't it wouldn't work nearly as well as it does.

The real tragedy of her character is that she's done better than actual female video-game characters.

Following your programming in game, yeah. But the thing is there's no real way to justify it when she isn't "on the job" being played the way it is. I mean the whole culture of following programs seems to be based around Turbo, which she didn't know about.

Likewise, if it's a thing you start with and develop through a bit then why is nobody commenting as such. I mean most of the Street Fighters seem to be on mostly good terms even right after punching each other, and it's not like Felix and Ralph straight up hated each other so much as didn't actually know each other.

Likewise, saying she's a supporting character is weak. She's given top billing in the trailers and ads, and that's just not a markeitng ploy since she's treated like everyone else in the credit's animation instead of brushed off with Turbo and the other non-main's. She didn't have as much time as the other three, but most of what she did have wasn't exactly used to develop her personality.

SiuiS
2012-11-10, 02:17 AM
There's no such thing as good 3D if you already wear glasses. No, not even then.

But I wanna watch this movie if I can find it in 2D. Looks fun. "Worst" case scenario, we miss it in theaters and have to watch it pay per view at home.

Actually, it wasn't so bad. I've always preferred understated frames though, so.

While I did enjoy the movie, one criticism I would have to voice would be the romantic sub-plot with Commander Calhoun and Felix.
It seemed awkward and forced and nothing probably would have changed if it were just simply removed altogether.

It was sort of awkward. I think the entire justification comes at the end in the epilogue.

Following your programming in game, yeah. But the thing is there's no real way to justify it when she isn't "on the job" being played the way it is. I mean the whole culture of following programs seems to be based around Turbo, which she didn't know about.

Likewise, if it's a thing you start with and develop through a bit then why is nobody commenting as such. I mean most of the Street Fighters seem to be on mostly good terms even right after punching each other, and it's not like Felix and Ralph straight up hated each other so much as didn't actually know each other.

Likewise, saying she's a supporting character is weak. She's given top billing in the trailers and ads, and that's just not a markeitng ploy since she's treated like everyone else in the credit's animation instead of brushed off with Turbo and the other non-main's. She didn't have as much time as the other three, but most of what she did have wasn't exactly used to develop her personality.

I think you've got it bakwards. She has every reason to be played straight. Either A, she hasn't been plugged in long enough to really have a personality emerge, especially not since all of her stimuli comes from
Her game, or more likely B, she's a hard ass because unlike everyone else, her Gillian can and will end all life with only minor effort. Her ralph won't complain politely. Her Ralph will destroy your universe.

Kinda puts a negative spin on your world view.

Lord Seth
2012-11-10, 02:41 AM
So the film is actually worth seeing in 3D? Huh, I was planning 2D, but maybe if the 3D is actually good I might see it in that way...

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-10, 02:56 AM
Yes. Its nothing SPECTACULAR, but it made the experience more exiting for me.

Lord Seth
2012-11-10, 03:21 AM
Huh, will definitely consider seeing it that way then. Ordinarily I avoid 3D films, but if I hear it's good enough I'll try it. For example, I heard The Adventures of Tintin had great 3D, so I watched it that way and it was actually pretty good.

Xondoure
2012-11-10, 03:24 AM
Just saw it. I really want a giant freezeframe of game central station to see how many references I can spot.

edit: and biotic charge is way too hax a power for a racing game. :smalltongue:

Jayngfet
2012-11-10, 04:30 AM
I think you've got it bakwards. She has every reason to be played straight. Either A, she hasn't been plugged in long enough to really have a personality emerge, especially not since all of her stimuli comes from
Her game, or more likely B, she's a hard ass because unlike everyone else, her Gillian can and will end all life with only minor effort. Her ralph won't complain politely. Her Ralph will destroy your universe.

Kinda puts a negative spin on your world view.

I'm gonna go ahead and voice another complaint in that the enemies from Heroes duty were incredibly contrived. I mean the film went to lengths to show game villains being a certain way and then ten seconds later we're dealing with something that's different with no real explanation as to WHY.

...honestly, I wouldn't care all that much if Heroes Duty was cut entirely given how it went in the movie. Calhoun is easily the least developed character, the enemies are contrived and seem to only exist to set up the obligatory boss fight, and the Calhoun/Felix romance was so contrived it was kind of ridiculous.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-10, 05:22 AM
They did. They actualy had a clever little slip that EXPLAINS why they look the way they do:

They shown that when they ate Ralphs gun, they adapted to the gun.

Its logical to assume that when they eat the candy kingdom, they became candy like.

King Candy was a flaw in the system, and glitchy. Its possible to assume his dominant personality took control of the bug thing.

And I can't really argue on your personal opinion over Calhoun. Its your opinion so hey. Whatever.

The romance was a bit random, but it didn't bug me at all. I liked Calhoun, I liked Felix.

The romance changed nothing about that.

Tono
2012-11-10, 09:17 AM
When I walked out all I could think of was 'But... Zangief not bad guy...'
Really enjoyed the movie, but it kinda sat in the back of my mind for the first half of it. That and with all the ads you would have thought someone like Robotnic would have had a speaking role. That would probably be my biggest gripe. Some of the characters they used in ads were only on screen for like 10 seconds.
But if my main complaint about a movie is marketing, I must have enjoyed it somewhat.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-10, 10:09 AM
This makes another movie in the past year when I wanted to SHOOT the marketing department.

Morph Bark
2012-11-10, 10:33 AM
I've wanted to see this movie since the first trailer. The posting of this thread reaffirms that desire. Hmmm, let's see if my friends would be up for it tonight...

Starbuck_II
2012-11-10, 01:53 PM
When I walked out all I could think of was 'But... Zangief not bad guy...'

Well, he bad guy, but not "bad guy".

Wreck it Ralph is a variation of the old Rampage games for Arcade. You know destroys buidings.
Rampage was an arcade game where you played a lycantropic human that turned into a monster.
There was a huge lizard, a king kong-like Ape, and huge werewolf. Sequel had rhino, mouse, Lobster.

They were fun games, but they didn't have the awesome catch phrase, "I'm gonna wreck it", plus you play Felix in Wreck It Ralph not Ralph.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-10, 01:57 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that Vanneloppe is completely broken as racer? I mean she can teleport and avoid any and all obstacle in the game? Why the hell would you choose to play any other character? One would assume she would loose that ability once here coding was repaired...

Giggling Ghast
2012-11-10, 02:21 PM
When I walked out all I could think of was 'But... Zangief not bad guy...'.

That's because of the director. The director hates Zangief because he had trouble beating him in Street Fighter II.

Morph Bark
2012-11-10, 02:22 PM
So turns it the movie won't come out in my country until 12-12. :smallfrown:

Starbuck_II
2012-11-10, 02:23 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that Vanneloppe is completely broken as racer? I mean she can teleport and avoid any and all obstacle in the game? Why the hell would you choose to play any other character? One would assume she would loose that ability once here coding was repaired...
Well...

She can't teleport every second as the player (only off screen). You might like how the other characters look. Remember, kids aren't optimizers innately.
It is possible she could always teleport, the broken part just made it uncontrollable.

slayerx
2012-11-10, 03:00 PM
..honestly, I wouldn't care all that much if Heroes Duty was cut entirely given how it went in the movie. Calhoun is easily the least developed character, the enemies are contrived and seem to only exist to set up the obligatory boss fight, and the Calhoun/Felix romance was so contrived it was kind of ridiculous.

I agree. When it comes down to it, the bugs were essentially a sub plot, but treated like it was just as important as the main plot; the Main plot could have probably gone fine without it.

Not to mention the idea of a mass virus inflecting the arcade could actually worked as a movie plot in and of itself. Could have been used to work as a good sequel... Though speaking of which, i wouldn't really want to see a sequel that focused on Ralph; the arcade works as a universe with great possibilities as they can make all sorts of games to base a plot around. You can get a lot of use out of that so long as the movies don't tie themselves down to just a select group of characters and are willing to focus elsewhere. Heck, if it wasn't for her role in this movie, Calhoun could have been the main character or co-star of a sequel.

Jayngfet
2012-11-11, 12:14 AM

Depends how much control the player has.

The other racers apparently have their own little abilities to make the New Character thing more than just skin swapping, so it's not like she suddenly loses or gains anything.

As well, Vanellope is supposed to be their leader and the best one. Obviously her ability has to be one of the better ones.

GloatingSwine
2012-11-11, 07:54 AM

Man, you ever play racing games? AI drivers do that **** all the time to cheese you. Which is obviously the joke.

stabbybelkar
2012-11-11, 09:49 AM
Personally, I just like the fan-theory that Felix and Calhoun have a kid: Build-it-Conagher, a.k.a the TF2 Engineer.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Calhoun's name is a reference to Barney Calhoun from Half-Life?

Lord Seth
2012-11-11, 03:05 PM
I thought the movie was good, but I thought the script could have used a minor rewrite. There were just a number of things I thought were minor problems that could have been fixed, such as...
1) The Calhoun/Felix romance subplot seemed unnecessary.
2) I think they went slightly overboard with making Penelope unlikable early on.
3) Okay, it's established that Penelope wasn't really a glitch, and that her crossing the finish line would reset the game and fix that so she was no longer one. So they do that, and...she still has the glitch power? That contradicts what was stated, and if she's still "glitched" then the fact she's at Felix/Calhoun's wedding makes no sense because she can't leave.

It's possible that the teleportation was actually just a special ability she had built into her as her "special movie" in the race or something and people incorrectly thought it was a glitch, but it would've been nice if they had actually STATED that (and, when it was shown using it still, hadn't had the glitch effect). Considering how easy it would have been to fix this plot hole, and the number of ways they could have fixed it (e.g. just cut out that like 10-second part where it's shown/mentioned near the end), it's frustrating that it's there.Still, these are largely nitpicks.

Forrestfire
2012-11-11, 04:13 PM
3) Okay, it's established that Penelope wasn't really a glitch, and that her crossing the finish line would reset the game and fix that so she was no longer one. So they do that, and...she still has the glitch power? That contradicts what was stated, and if she's still "glitched" then the fact she's at Felix/Calhoun's wedding makes no sense because she can't leave.

It's possible that the teleportation was actually just a special ability she had built into her as her "special movie" in the race or something and people incorrectly thought it was a glitch, but it would've been nice if they had actually STATED that (and, when it was shown using it still, hadn't had the glitch effect). Considering how easy it would have been to fix this plot hole, and the number of ways they could have fixed it (e.g. just cut out that like 10-second part where it's shown/mentioned near the end), it's frustrating that it's there.Still, these are largely nitpicks.

From her dialogue, I was under the impression that during the glowy bit, she had access to the code and rewrote it so that she kept the teleportation power.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-12, 11:16 AM
I think my favorite random reference was...

...some of the graffiti on the walls just before the villains enter Game Central Station reads "Aerith Lives"

Kazyan
2012-11-12, 11:35 AM
1) The Calhoun/Felix romance subplot seemed unnecessary.

It absolutely was, from a narrative standpoint. But it's basically one of the rules of Hollywood that you have to crowbar a romance subplot in somewhere--they won't approve your script unless you hit two demographics, and a romance subplot is one of the few reliable ways to get a second.

Most of the things the movie had to work around were handled at least tactfully. Product placement kept getting mentioned exactly once, then avoided thereafter as anything but a plot point. Still annoying, but could have been worse.

I found the storytelling stellar; everything came together so well narratively.

Totally Guy
2012-11-12, 12:25 PM
So turns it the movie won't come out in my country until 12-12. :smallfrown:

Hits the UK on 15th of February! :smallannoyed: For real?

The Glyphstone
2012-11-12, 12:43 PM
Decent, funny movie. Predictable, except for one thing that did take me by surprise:

When they explained that Vanelope crossing the finish line would reset the game, I thought that was going to be how they got rid of the bug infestation. The pepsi volcano was the Chekov's Gun I didn't see coming.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-11-15, 07:58 PM
They did. They actualy had a clever little slip that EXPLAINS why they look the way they do:

They shown that when they ate Ralphs gun, they adapted to the gun.

Its logical to assume that when they eat the candy kingdom, they became candy like.

King Candy was a flaw in the system, and glitchy. Its possible to assume his dominant personality took control of the bug thing.

I don't think that's what they were questioning:

The question was why the Cy-Bugs are relentless, remorseless killing-machines that WOULD wreak havoc if let loose, while the rest of the video-game villains are punch-clock types that meet once a week (or month, I don't know how often AA-like groups actually meet) and are generally friendly, polite and even kind when "off-camera." Why are the Cy-Bugs destroyers of game worlds, while for the rest of the bad guys they're just doing their job? Even a throwaway line like "they've got crappy, incomplete programming because the game was rushed out" or something would have explained that, but we don't even have something like that to explain why the Cy-Bugs don't adhere to the same expectations the rest of the games have of their villains.
Saw the movie on Monday night and it was WELL worth it. Great character interaction, just enough foreshadowing that when the big reveals were made you went "Oh, NOW I get it! Cool!", and scenes that just tug on the heartstrings, both happy and sad. To quote Owl City in the end credits, "When Can I See This Again?" :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2012-11-15, 08:24 PM

The question was why the Cy-Bugs are relentless, remorseless killing-machines that WOULD wreak havoc if let loose, while the rest of the video-game villains are punch-clock types that meet once a week (or month, I don't know how often AA-like groups actually meet) and are generally friendly, polite and even kind when "off-camera." Why are the Cy-Bugs destroyers of game worlds, while for the rest of the bad guys they're just doing their job? Even a throwaway line like "they've got crappy, incomplete programming because the game was rushed out" or something would have explained that, but we don't even have something like that to explain why the Cy-Bugs don't adhere to the same expectations the rest of the games have of their villains.
Saw the movie on Monday night and it was WELL worth it. Great character interaction, just enough foreshadowing that when the big reveals were made you went "Oh, NOW I get it! Cool!", and scenes that just tug on the heartstrings, both happy and sad. To quote Owl City in the end credits, "When Can I See This Again?" :smallbiggrin:

My guess if I wanted to patch that logic hole would be because the Cybugs numbered in the thousands or millions. Every other video game had personalized heroes and villains - they had names, they had personalities. The Cybugs, though, were in the only game where there would have been too many enemies, none of whom were expected to last more than a few seconds individually, so they were programmed for efficiency, the minimum amount of coding necessary to serve their role in the game of 'eat, multiply, attack, die'. If the characters ever visited, say, Space Invaders, I would have expected those enemies to have a similar mono-focused maliciousness, even if they couldn't replicate the way Cybugs could.

Also...since you brought up the songs...am I the only one who found some of the music a little suspicious, in a Getting Crap Past The Radar sort of way? They all made sense in the context that they were shown/played, but "Shut Up and Drive", "When Can I See You Again"? The lyrics to these songs are PG-13, to say the least.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-16, 09:28 AM

They actually did explain it.

The bugs don't realize they're characters in a video game because the game was only recently plugged in, and for now they have to be exterminated at the end of each session because they know nothing more than to consume and destroy. Over time, they might be more domesticated outside of actual gameplay, but for now no one's bothered to try, and for good reason since even one bug could wreak havoc on any game in the arcade.

Lord Raziere
2012-11-16, 09:36 AM
That and I imagine animal game characters such as Cybugs are not really programmed to be self-aware and such. Therefore its harder for them to not follow their programming like others, cause following the programming is very important and its even more important when it replaces animal instinct, the soldiers meanwhile we sort of programmed to be more like humans however so its like they have an easier time of becoming self-aware that they are in a game.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-16, 09:59 AM
And we have seen different levels of intelligence anyway. Some characters being unable to speak, some others do:

Point is this universe doesn't really have a single consistent type of rule.

Karoht
2012-11-16, 10:12 AM
It was..... Surprisingly great.
I cried in two places.
First

When he smashed the car. He was crushing everything that made her special. That struck a cord with me. It would be like watching someone take your favorite and most awesome DnD character and burn it.
The fact that he was insisting that he was still a bad guy up until and while doing so? That just sort of made it worse.
I couldn't watch it happen. I have never covered my eyes while watching a film. Not even scary gory stuff. I couldn't watch that.

Second

The last line of the film.
That he could be a hero to just one little girl, that he was able to get through to just one person, was enough for him.
Sure, he got through to others as well, but you get the point.

So yeah. Proof that Disney does not need Pixar to survive. Um, hate to break it to you but Disney and Pixar might as well be the same company these days.
John Lasseter was the head of Pixar for years, he's now the VP of Disney.
But hey, ultimately good news all around.

"Build-it-Conagher, a.k.a the TF2 Engineer."
Heck yeah!

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-16, 10:29 AM
Also as a take on the whole "Bad guy main character" thing this movie kicks Megaminds ass!

I really dislike Megamind. :smallannoyed:

Karoht
2012-11-16, 10:44 AM
Also as a take on the whole "Bad guy main character" thing this movie kicks Megaminds ass!

I really dislike Megamind. :smallannoyed:
I won't comment on Megamind, but indeed, they made the bad guy main concept work out pretty well.

When he's falling to the Mentos/Pop Volcano, reciting the Bad Guy Affirm from the meeting? That was a throwback I did not expect. It was odd. He was doing a good thing, yet was constantly telling himself that he wasn't a good guy or hero. It made me really think that the film was trying to suggest that there is a difference between good guy and hero and bad guy and villain. As in some larger separation between all 4, not just a dichotomy. It was an interesting subtext.

The people of Ralph's game...
I thought it was weird that the people of Ralph's game really seemed to resent him. For real, not just part of the act for the game's sake. Like their apartment building (which was constantly fixed), being wrecked was actually something that mattered. So I figured that just came down to their programming, and was a knee-jerk reaction as a result.

Also, on programming...

I'm thinking they don't mention the programmers screwing up (the cy-bugs intelligence, possibly the people of Ralph's game) because they wanted programmers to be ambiguous. To make their actions and creations feel as capricious and random as people in real life.

Zelkon
2012-11-16, 06:58 PM
Also...since you brought up the songs...am I the only one who found some of the music a little suspicious, in a Getting Crap Past The Radar sort of way? They all made sense in the context that they were shown/played, but "Shut Up and Drive", "When Can I See You Again"? The lyrics to these songs are PG-13, to say the least.

Just looked up the lyrics. "Shut up" is way too PG-13 but "When can I see you" is fine.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-16, 07:35 PM
Just looked up the lyrics. "Shut up" is way too PG-13 but "When can I see you" is fine.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it in the context of being paired up with Shut Up and Drive - or I'm just a perv, but while it's certainly less explicit than Shut Up, there's definitely a PG13+ subtext going on there.

BRC
2012-11-18, 05:38 PM
So I just saw it, and loved it to pieces.

Concerning Vanellope

Remember, the other Sugar Rushers didn't say she was glitched, they were saying she WAS a glitch. She wasn't supposed to be in the game.
And her teleport thing could be balanced, especially if she was intended as a special unlockable character, or if the other racers got their own nifty powers.

Concerning Calhoun

The impression I got was that since she was programmed with a certain personality, she couldn't develop as much of one on her own.

Ralph was programmed to "Wreck It", he didn't have much in the way of dialog. The personality that developed from that remained consistent with the personality given in the game. He was a big, angry guy who didn't like being forced to live in a junkyard.

Fix-It-Felix Jr isn't a game about Ralph being a cruel person, it's about him throwing a tantrum when his stump gets bulldozed.

The townsfolk were programmed to adore Felix and help him defeat Ralph.

From the outsiders perspective, Calhoun has MORE development than the other game characters. INSIDE the gameverse, this means that she has LESS room to have her own personality.
The Cybugs are programmed to be mindless animals, so that's where Their personality starts and there isn't anywhere it can go from there.

Karoht
2012-11-19, 10:27 AM
So I just saw it, and loved it to pieces.
Concerning Vanellope

Remember, the other Sugar Rushers didn't say she was glitched, they were saying she WAS a glitch. She wasn't supposed to be in the game.
And her teleport thing could be balanced, especially if she was intended as a special unlockable character, or if the other racers got their own nifty powers.

Reply Spoilered

I doubt she was unlockable when she was one of the characters shipped with the game.
As for the other racers, we saw one named candle who could light some of the terrain on fire/trigger explosions, and it was clear that none of the other racers could. King Candy's car seemed especially good at pseudo drifting/power slides.
So Vanellope having a minor teleport power (aside from when she's rescuing Ralph it doesn't appear to go very far at a time) doesn't seem all that broken really.

Ess
You
Gee-ay-ar
Jump into your racing car.
Sugar RUSH! Sugar Rush!
(If it's stuck in my head, it will be stuck in yours, bwaa ha ha ha ha haaaa)

Pokonic
2012-11-21, 01:18 AM
Well, I watched it.

It was good. Very good. The main charecter was a nice change of pace, the spunky not-sidekick was fun, Disney put there necromancers to work to get Ed Wynn channeled to voice the King, and Suger Rush made me crave more food just by looking at it. I mean, sweet jibblies, look at it!

Forrestfire
2012-11-21, 10:12 AM
Ess
You
Gee-ay-ar
Sugar RUSH! Sugar Rush!

Is that how it goes? I was wondering, but too lazy to actually look up the lyrics. :smalltongue:
Also, stuck in my head. Again. XD

Karoht
2012-11-21, 10:21 AM
Well, I watched it.

It was good. Very good. The main charecter was a nice change of pace, the spunky not-sidekick was fun, Disney put there necromancers to work to get Ed Wynn channeled to voice the King, and Suger Rush made me crave more food just by looking at it. I mean, sweet jibblies, look at it!
The king was voiced by Alan Tudyk, AKA Wash from Firefly. Indeed, he did a great job of channeling that old style, I totally had no idea it was him until I saw the credits.

Sugar Rush is performed by a band called AKB48. Adorable song.

Also, as noted by a commercial for Litwak's Fun Center posted up on teh youtubes, Sugar Rush is new to the arcade for the 1997 summer. Since we see a bunch of players dump a roll of quarters and say how they're trying out all the characters, it is reasonably certain that the movie takes place around that same year. For reference, Toy Story came out in 1995.
Just thought that was interesting.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-21, 10:22 AM
Reply Spoilered

I doubt she was unlockable when she was one of the characters shipped with the game.
As for the other racers, we saw one named candle who could light some of the terrain on fire/trigger explosions, and it was clear that none of the other racers could. King Candy's car seemed especially good at pseudo drifting/power slides.
So Vanellope having a minor teleport power (aside from when she's rescuing Ralph it doesn't appear to go very far at a time) doesn't seem all that broken really.

Ess
You
Gee-ay-ar
Sugar RUSH! Sugar Rush!

Chorus duel!

It's been fun but now I've got to go,
Life is way too short to take it slow
But before I go and hit the ro-o-oad,
I got to know, till then when can we do this again?
Oh-oh-oh-oh
When can I see you again?
Oh-oh-oh-oh
When can we do this again?
Oh-oh-oh-oh
I got to knoooow, when can I see you again?

t209
2012-11-21, 11:22 AM
So shall we call it the best attempt of Mainstream to portray videogames after the failure of Level Up, and bad Videogame to Movie Adaptions (except Tomb Raider and Resident Evil).
I am planning to watch it for thanksgiving, along with Skyfall.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-21, 11:55 AM
Nope. It completely DOMINATES Resident evil. Perhaps the only movie series where the plot is DUMBER then in the games.

Sipex
2012-11-21, 12:05 PM
Saw it, loved it.

I was quite surprised by how much time was spent in Sugar Rush though. After seeing the movie it makes sense, but I didn't realise, at the time, that about half the time would be spent there!

Starbuck_II
2012-11-21, 01:44 PM
So shall we call it the best attempt of Mainstream to portray videogames after the failure of Level Up, and bad Videogame to Movie Adaptions (except Tomb Raider and Resident Evil).
I am planning to watch it for thanksgiving, along with Skyfall.

I liked Level Up the movie, the show is decent (I like the characters more than the video game references), but yeah Tomb Raider and RE aren't best adaptation.

Dienekes
2012-11-21, 02:19 PM
So I watched it, I thought it was ok.

I'm not exactly a fan of the precocious child stereotype, so right off the bat one of the main characters did nothing for me. Oh I thought her plight was interesting enough, but I never really found her funny, or all that interesting.

I will say though, I thought the reason why she couldn't race given by the Candy King guy was very interesting and had a lot of potential. I liked the fact that it could take things into an entirely new direction that sometimes it actually is best not to get what you want and showing her grow up with that, maybe through the development of the story just allow her to race off hours or something.

But no, King was a lying narcissistic villain and all the nuance of the scenario was destroyed. Now don't get me wrong the scene where he broke the car was great, I was just hoping they'd roll with that angle instead of the return of a generic good vs evil plot.

Also, didn't particularly care about the shoehorned in romance other than the fact it allowed a few more jokes from Fix-it Jr.

Destro_Yersul
2012-11-21, 02:27 PM
Concerning Calhoun

The impression I got was that since she was programmed with a certain personality, she couldn't develop as much of one on her own.

Ralph was programmed to "Wreck It", he didn't have much in the way of dialog. The personality that developed from that remained consistent with the personality given in the game. He was a big, angry guy who didn't like being forced to live in a junkyard.

Fix-It-Felix Jr isn't a game about Ralph being a cruel person, it's about him throwing a tantrum when his stump gets bulldozed.

The townsfolk were programmed to adore Felix and help him defeat Ralph.

From the outsiders perspective, Calhoun has MORE development than the other game characters. INSIDE the gameverse, this means that she has LESS room to have her own personality.
The Cybugs are programmed to be mindless animals, so that's where Their personality starts and there isn't anywhere it can go from there.

My bet is that it's a combination of that, and the fact her game had only been plugged in for a week. Ralph had thirty years to develop a personality. Calhoun spent a week fighting bugs, plus whatever her backstory gave her.

t209
2012-11-21, 11:08 PM

I'm not exactly a fan of the precocious child stereotype, so right off the bat one of the main characters did nothing for me. Oh I thought her plight was interesting enough, but I never really found her funny, or all that interesting.

I will say though, I thought the reason why she couldn't race given by the Candy King guy was very interesting and had a lot of potential. I liked the fact that it could take things into an entirely new direction that sometimes it actually is best not to get what you want and showing her grow up with that, maybe through the development of the story just allow her to race off hours or something.

But no, King was a lying narcissistic villain and all the nuance of the scenario was destroyed. Now don't get me wrong the scene where he broke the car was great, I was just hoping they'd roll with that angle instead of the return of a generic good vs evil plot.

Also, didn't particularly care about the shoehorned in romance other than the fact it allowed a few more jokes from Fix-it Jr.

About the movie
How was the short, "Paper man"? Kinda sweet though. The last scene with Ralph's air drop attack on mentos over diet cola mountain was awesome. The King (AKA Turbo) was a manipulative bastard, kinda creepy when he turned into a bug.

SiuiS
2012-11-22, 04:18 AM
Saw it, loved it.
I was quite surprised by how much time was spent in Sugar Rush though. After seeing the movie it makes sense, but I didn't realise, at the time, that about half the time would be spent there!

Indeed. I think another ten, twenty minutes of game hopping would have been good. That Ralph hit, what, one and a half games for his medal is kinda lame. Too coincidental, I think.

I think this is intentional. You're not supposed to like Vanellope, at all. She's rude, arrogant, childish, and insulting. It's played to the hilt, and they even show that she is aware of it ("One more, one more!"). It's a defense mechanism, and while that trait is stupid, what it implies helps the character a bit.
Although yeah she sucked.

Aye. It was unfortunately ham-fisted, that there can't be any real conflict going on here because something as strange as someone who is a petulant lying manipulative jerk paying for their actions is just not possible.

Honestly, I would have liked Ralph to try and talk to her. Not just have a Coincidental Moment where she sees the medal and resolves never to trust him again. Have him explain what happens, have her go through with it anyway, and let there be fallout.

t209
2012-11-22, 10:36 AM
Brony References?
Two male adult playing Sugar Rush! I think Disney is beginning to know about Brony and other equivalent fandom.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-22, 12:35 PM
Brony References?
Two male adult playing Sugar Rush! I think Disney is beginning to know about Brony and other equivalent fandom.

i didn't see any ponies in Sugar Rush - it's basically Mario Kart with a Tastes Like Diabetes gloss over it. So it's more of a commentary that 'guys will play racing games'. The basic concept/plot has been in development hell since the 80s or 90's...I know bronies hunger for more widespread recognition/success, but I think you're jumping at straws here.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-22, 12:38 PM
Yeah. Its just a bunch of guys that value gameplay over looks.

t209
2012-11-22, 01:22 PM
i didn't see any ponies in Sugar Rush - it's basically Mario Kart with a Tastes Like Diabetes gloss over it. So it's more of a commentary that 'guys will play racing games'. The basic concept/plot has been in development hell since the 80s or 90's...I know bronies hunger for more widespread recognition/success, but I think you're jumping at straws here.

Well,
Not a reference to Brony but I thought it as a parody of adult demographic fans in many child-intended genre (Brony is one of the examples).
Sorry about it.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-22, 02:22 PM
That might be more possible/likely, yeah.

t209
2012-11-22, 02:51 PM
How many of you see Calhoun as a middle aged lady? Either that or I just see her as the gym teacher from Glee.
It could be Old lady romance with young guy (appearance).
Old Guy romance with young girl. (Game's age)
or Both (Old guy and Old girl).

PhoeKun
2012-11-22, 02:58 PM

Look closer. :smalltongue:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdcyrxnM8G1rhvkrqo1_1280.png

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-22, 03:13 PM
PONY RAGE TRIGGERED! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! :furious:

Im over-reacting.

Pokonic
2012-11-22, 03:17 PM
Brony References?

Nope. Two completly different things, two different reasons. Actualy, going by the sorta Anime-esqu charecters and the strange, presumably translated names, I would suppose that it is, if anything, a referance to the wave of Japan-interested youth that sprung up a decade ago.:smalltongue:

Besides, Disney knows about 30+ year old fans. A good amount of there planning revolves around the people who watched there movies twenty years ago to bring in there kids and buy merch and such. Case in point, they can show the Lion King on the big screen again, and people will come and sit down and watch the same movie and laugh and smile even if nothing has realy changed.

I admit, I laughed.

Karoht
2012-11-22, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I think they were more tuning in to 'wee-a-boos' as I think they are called.
Kids who like annie-moo.
The themesong being sung by AKB48 is a dead give away. Especially in conjunction with the time period of 1997.

Pokonic
2012-11-22, 03:37 PM
Especially in conjunction with the time period of 1997.

Welp, that clinches it.:smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2012-11-22, 03:40 PM
Actually, if that was the intention, props to Disney for doing so in such a subtle manner.

Of course, now I am going to be looking for a Totoro reference when I re-watch that film. Mostly because of John Lassetter, but now because of this conversation.
Thanks internets!

LaZodiac
2012-11-22, 05:28 PM
Actually, if that was the intention, props to Disney for doing so in such a subtle manner.

Of course, now I am going to be looking for a Totoro reference when I re-watch that film. Mostly because of John Lassetter, but now because of this conversation.
Thanks internets!

There is a Totaro reference, I just forget what it is. Pretty sure.

Raistlin1040
2012-11-23, 07:56 AM
I expected to like this movie, but I did not expect to love it as much as I did. Most excellent, Disney.

Talanic
2012-11-23, 11:33 PM
Just saw it. I suspect my reaction is fairly typical in here.

In short, I liked it, but wasn't as thrilled as by, say, Wall-E or Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

I was disappointed by how few games were visited, and how the cameos from existing game franchises had about as much importance to the plot (for the most part) as cameos by Stan Lee in Marvel movies. However, I understand why this is the case - it's only natural that Disney wants the most popular characters of their movie to be characters they own and can merchandise.

The character development was a little unusual in that Ralph himself did not need to go through much. Ralph started out the movie correct and changed very little - it was Felix and the others in his game who were taking him for granted and treating him badly for doing what he was supposed to do. Ralph did make mistakes in Hero's Duty, and was deceived by King Candy, but otherwise was a nice guy being mistaken for a monster most of the time.

I am actually a little surprised that I didn't even suspect that King Candy was Turbo. I had guessed him to be a usurper when he entered the code - he was messing with reality in ways that the other characters clearly thought was impossible - but I didn't make the connection.

Looking back, I am impressed that all three original games, parodies though they may have been, had internal mechanics that were consistent and would have made decent games of their genres and time periods.

t209
2012-11-23, 11:43 PM
Looking back to the nicelanders,
I think their apathetic nature toward Ralph had to do with the idea of "deceiving appearance" and perspective. From the gamers eye (for those who ignored his back story), they are the good guys. But from Ralph's eye, they are jerks. Remind me of Lotso, Goblins by Thunt, and Wicked.
Kinda Creepy that they show the trailer about Wizard of Oz's overthrow of princess while the movie has King/Turbo's usupation of the true queen.

BRC
2012-11-24, 01:02 AM
Just saw it. I suspect my reaction is fairly typical in here.

In short, I liked it, but wasn't as thrilled as by, say, Wall-E or Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

I was disappointed by how few games were visited, and how the cameos from existing game franchises had about as much importance to the plot (for the most part) as cameos by Stan Lee in Marvel movies. However, I understand why this is the case - it's only natural that Disney wants the most popular characters of their movie to be characters they own and can merchandise.

The character development was a little unusual in that Ralph himself did not need to go through much. Ralph started out the movie correct and changed very little - it was Felix and the others in his game who were taking him for granted and treating him badly for doing what he was supposed to do. Ralph did make mistakes in Hero's Duty, and was deceived by King Candy, but otherwise was a nice guy being mistaken for a monster most of the time.

I am actually a little surprised that I didn't even suspect that King Candy was Turbo. I had guessed him to be a usurper when he entered the code - he was messing with reality in ways that the other characters clearly thought was impossible - but I didn't make the connection.

Looking back, I am impressed that all three original games, parodies though they may have been, had internal mechanics that were consistent and would have made decent games of their genres and time periods.

It bugs me when people complain about the minimal role played by the Cameos. The movie was needed to be accessible. It was nice to have Zangief in there, but it would have been wrong to expect the audiences to all possess an extensive knowledge of Street Fighter. By using their own games, and simply playing to the well known standards of the genres, they were able to tell a story that just about anybody could understand.

SiuiS
2012-11-24, 01:09 AM
Well,
Not a reference to Brony but I thought it as a parody of adult demographic fans in many child-intended genre (Brony is one of the examples).
Sorry about it.

Nah, that's been a thing for a while now. Good twenty years or more. Look at the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

... <3

Brb have a tumblr to hit up~

Talanic
2012-11-24, 02:03 AM
It bugs me when people complain about the minimal role played by the Cameos. The movie was needed to be accessible. It was nice to have Zangief in there, but it would have been wrong to expect the audiences to all possess an extensive knowledge of Street Fighter. By using their own games, and simply playing to the well known standards of the genres, they were able to tell a story that just about anybody could understand.

I know, but it's more a problem with the marketing for the movie than with the movie itself.

I'm not asking for a full history of the Legend of Zelda as told by Samus and Donkey Kong in mime. And I did enjoy the cameos. But I had unrealistic expectations going in as far as how much the cameo characters would do and say, and while some of that's my own childlike hope, some of that's the previews' fault.

Karoht
2012-11-24, 04:08 AM
I know, but it's more a problem with the marketing for the movie than with the movie itself.
I'm not asking for a full history of the Legend of Zelda as told by Samus and Donkey Kong in mime.
...wait, why not? Seriously, why not?

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-24, 04:18 AM
Because Legend of Zelda and Metroid aren't Arcade games silly....or at least highly obscure ones.

LaZodiac
2012-11-24, 04:28 AM
The cameo's, for me, served their perposes and were awesome. Maybe it's because I didn't see any trailers, but I got out of them what I expected.

Sonic doing a "Sonic Sez" segment on the dangers of game jumping, for instace. The only thing bad about this little gag was that he didn't say "And that's no good" after mentioning you die for real. It actually would of flowed well with his dialoge, and would of been a nice little joke for us all. Still, it was quite good.

And Zangief's line about "I am bad guy, does not mean am bad guy" is still one of the most poignent lines in any movie, ever.

Tyndmyr
2012-11-25, 09:24 PM
Decent, funny movie. Predictable, except for one thing that did take me by surprise:

When they explained that Vanelope crossing the finish line would reset the game, I thought that was going to be how they got rid of the bug infestation. The pepsi volcano was the Chekov's Gun I didn't see coming.

I had a similar reaction. I mean...I noticed it initially, but had entirely assumed that the more recently mentioned possible solution was the one that would be used. It set up a rather nice surprise when the option suddenly vanished.

As for the romance...cmon, it's a great setup for humor. It improves the relationship of the two chars, because it heightens the tension caused by their overt differences.

erikun
2012-11-25, 10:50 PM
I just saw the movie earlier today. Yes, I'm slow at these things. :smalltongue:

I had actually never seen any of the trailers, and from the sounds of the thread, that was probably a good thing. Getting a recommendation and looking up the general plot online left me with a good impression going in; I don't think "Videogame Cameo: The Movie" would've appealed to me if I'd seen the advertisements.

Comments on two spoilers about the movie:
One, I didn't see Turbo or the soda volcano. Looking back, they were both pretty obvious, but it seems like the writers did a good job of making the King just seem like a generic antagonist and the soda pool just being an interesting background.

Also, I didn't mind the whole romance... because it felt like it was supposed to be sappy. It was like a satirical joke, like pretty much all of Calhoun's personality. I found the out-of-nowhere romance as amusingly silly as her completely overdone Gears-of-War-style attitude and ridiculous tragic backstory.

Well,
Sorry about it.
You hardly need to go to My Little Pony to find such fandom in video games. Just take a look at Deathsmiles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathsmiles), Touhou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou), several characters from BlazBlue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlazBlue:_Calamity_Trigger), or Hyperdimension Neptunia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdimension_Neptunia).

Mordar
2012-11-27, 02:47 PM
I didn't notice the Sugar Rush players as being particularly old...I had the feeling they were 15-16, while the "girl with bracers" was in the 12-14 year old range, and was thus poo-poohed as being "just a kid".

As an Arcade Native (you know, like kids today are digital natives, I had my formative years in MagicLand, Starcade, and Crystal Palace) I saw this exact scene play out many times. The kid with the paper route or the 16-y-o with the job at Pizza Hut would come in with the roll of quarters and hog games, scoffing at the "youngsters" who only had the couple bucks they made from allowances or mowing lawns.

Anyway...I really appreciated the inclusion of "real" games (also a favorite scene of mine from the new Tron...walking through the arcade of real games in Flynn's) and a ton of cameos/bit parts. Might have liked to see a few more, but I was impressed they got what they did licensed. Though am I correct in saying that there were bad guys in the support group that only appeared in home/console games?

The yellow prehistoric Bowser character?

Endgame:
I saw the mento-diet soda pillar thing coming, but despite every hint, totally missed Turbo = King Candy. I thought KC was just trying to hold on to the top spot and feared Vanillope.

I may have been thrown off because every time they said "Go Turbo" I thought it was meant to mock the Street Fighter Turbo (and other similar fight games) trend we saw for a while, just before the death of the stand-up video game arcade.

I *really* want to know if we see Vanillope on the side of the machine in the earlier sequences.

Oh, I also liked the subplot, and didn't have a problem with the bugs because, well, the other bad guys in the support group were "lead characters" and the bugs were effectively the same as pools of lava...no more than obstacles.

- M

LaZodiac
2012-11-27, 06:44 PM
You DO see Vanneliope on the side of the machine in other scenes. It's fantastic. The amount of blink and you'll miss it forshadowing is amazing in this.

Also, that's why they had M Bison say the first "going Turbo" line. To trick you. This movie is a tricky tricky movie.

Also, there HAVE been Mario arcade games that have featured Bowser, so it's not impossible. Same with Eggman and Sonic.

Karoht
2012-11-28, 11:03 AM
I think Donkey Kong sitting next to Bowser would have been clever. Donkey Kong started life as a villain back in the day in the original Donkey Kong.

But, most of the audience probably wouldn't have grasped that. There would have been page after page of morons on the internet saying things like "lol disney is fail, DK isn't a villain, they don't know jack squat lol lol" so perhaps it is for the best.

Mando Knight
2012-11-28, 11:13 AM
I think Donkey Kong sitting next to Bowser would have been clever. Donkey Kong started life as a villain back in the day in the original Donkey Kong.

But, most of the audience probably wouldn't have grasped that. There would have been page after page of morons on the internet saying things like "lol disney is fail, DK isn't a villain, they don't know jack squat lol lol" so perhaps it is for the best.

Also a good example of "just because you are a bad guy, does not mean you are a bad guy."

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-28, 11:17 AM
Just that simple mantra could make 99% of all villains in media.

Karoht
2012-11-28, 12:35 PM
Being a villain does not mean you are a jerksauce.

In fact, the best villains I can recall took the time to be polite and well mannered, even demonstrated kindness, even if it was when it suited them.

Actors tell themselves this all the time. Just because you are playing the bad guy, even stereotypically like Christopher Walken, doesn't mean you are mean or nasty or violent or angry, or any other of a list of negative traits typically associated with the bad guy.

Actually, that brings me to an in interesting insight.
The characters of Fix-It Felix JR aren't actors.
They are programmed to BE what they are, not ACT that way.
Maybe it is the difference between programming and make believe.
I mean, if they were actors, then they would acknowledge that Ralph is effectively an actor (and by extention their equal) as well. I highly doubt Sir Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee dislike each other due to the roles they play.
Felix JR and Ralph don't seem to have this problem. Probably because they are main characters and perhaps more self-aware of their respective roles, though Felix is just a bit less empathetic about it at first. But the townspeople are secondary characters in the game, they have much smaller functions, so maybe they aren't coded with that same self-awareness?

Tectonic Robot
2012-11-28, 12:38 PM
Watched the movie. Loved it. Spoilered myself before seeing it because I'm a dork like that.

But yeah, good movie.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-28, 12:58 PM
Part of me really wishes that this was a Pixar movie for no other reason than to tie it in to the theory that all Pixar movies take place in the same universe, and then to draw comparisons between Wreck-It Ralph and Toy Story.

Scowling Dragon
2012-11-28, 01:26 PM
You can do that if you want.

As I think it was directed by a guy that worked at pixar.....I think.

Friv
2012-11-28, 02:19 PM
Felix JR and Ralph don't seem to have this problem. Probably because they are main characters and perhaps more self-aware of their respective roles, though Felix is just a bit less empathetic about it at first. But the townspeople are secondary characters in the game, they have much smaller functions, so maybe they aren't coded with that same self-awareness?
I think that this is less because the townsfolk aren't as aware, and more because they just aren't as nice.

Early on, Felix is nicer to Ralph because he's someone who's just plain uncomfortable not being nice to people. And since Ralph is a decent guy with anger problems, he gets angry when people aren't nice to him, which causes him to be a bit of a jerk, which causes them to feel confident in their opinions and be jerks back, which causes him to behave more like a jerk...

Felix, on the other hand, tries really hard to be nice to everyone he meets. I think it's less that he's more aware because he's a hero and more that he's more aware because he's Fix-It Felix Jr.

Karoht
2012-11-28, 02:22 PM
Uh, yeah, Pixar and Disney are one company now, not really seperate. Just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_lasseter
He's basically in charge of everything animated that comes out of Disney these days. But this guy is responsible for pretty much everything that has come from Pixar thus far.

BRC
2012-11-28, 02:54 PM
I think that this is less because the townsfolk aren't as aware, and more because they just aren't as nice.

Early on, Felix is nicer to Ralph because he's someone who's just plain uncomfortable not being nice to people. And since Ralph is a decent guy with anger problems, he gets angry when people aren't nice to him, which causes him to be a bit of a jerk, which causes them to feel confident in their opinions and be jerks back, which causes him to behave more like a jerk...

Felix, on the other hand, tries really hard to be nice to everyone he meets. I think it's less that he's more aware because he's a hero and more that he's more aware because he's Fix-It Felix Jr.

Ralph is a guy whose job makes him unpopular, like a tax collector, or Repo man. The Nicelanders recognize that he's necessary, but they think he's a jerk for doing his job. So they reject him. The fact that they're powerless to stop him (the best they can do is give Felix a pie) probably dosn't help. When they DO have power over Ralph, they want to use it.
Felix is just too much of an all around nice guy to let that get to him.

Karoht
2012-11-28, 03:28 PM
Sequel Prediction
Spoilered for Tinfoil Hat Level insane predictions, as well as spoilers from the first film.

Fix-It Felix Jr.
Clearly, Felix has parent. Probably his dad featured as a video game character, just going by the title.
Does Ralph have a parent? I'm going to guess at a Mom character.

Toy Story 2 and 3 both had toys who didn't understand that it isn't about them, it's about the kids.
Litwak's Arcade has/had at least one game character that didn't understand that it isn't about them, it's about the kids.
Mom and Dad perhaps didn't understand this. And back when they were in the arcade/s the line between antagonist and protagonist wasn't so clear to them. Their game bombed as a result.

Suddenly, the game is re-released, or an old closet is brought to Litwak's.
They see Ralph's success with Felix, and they see his retro bonus level as a place they should go hang out. Ralph and Felix invite them in. Possible inference that Felix and Ralph are actually related.
Hilarity/Calamity ensues.

Drunken brawl at Tappers. Many many cameos all in one spot.

Oooh oooh. Felix's dad gets punched out by Callhoon after a sexist remark.

Turns out, Felix's dad was a jerk (just because he's a good guy doesn't mean he's a good guy right?) and is now causing some serious trouble for the arcade.

Meanwhile, Ralph's mom has always been torn by the notion that she's a bad guy, but is still supposed to be a mom and all that.

Ralph and Felix start working on their respective parents. Felix tries to reform his dad, Ralph helps his mom understand that she's still a good person despite being a bad guy.

TWIST-They're both con-artists trying to wrangle control of a game at the arcade, Turbo style. Maybe even infer that Mom and Pops have caused many of the Felix JR closets to be corrupted and unplugged.

Everyone scrambles to save the arcade.

Moral: The line that separates bad guy and good guy is more than just a few lines of code.

Sipex
2012-11-29, 02:46 PM
Sequel Prediction
Spoilered for Tinfoil Hat Level insane predictions, as well as spoilers from the first film.

Fix-It Felix Jr.
Clearly, Felix has parent. Probably his dad featured as a video game character, just going by the title.
Does Ralph have a parent? I'm going to guess at a Mom character.

Toy Story 2 and 3 both had toys who didn't understand that it isn't about them, it's about the kids.
Litwak's Arcade has/had at least one game character that didn't understand that it isn't about them, it's about the kids.
Mom and Dad perhaps didn't understand this. And back when they were in the arcade/s the line between antagonist and protagonist wasn't so clear to them. Their game bombed as a result.

Suddenly, the game is re-released, or an old closet is brought to Litwak's.
They see Ralph's success with Felix, and they see his retro bonus level as a place they should go hang out. Ralph and Felix invite them in. Possible inference that Felix and Ralph are actually related.
Hilarity/Calamity ensues.

Drunken brawl at Tappers. Many many cameos all in one spot.

Oooh oooh. Felix's dad gets punched out by Callhoon after a sexist remark.

Turns out, Felix's dad was a jerk (just because he's a good guy doesn't mean he's a good guy right?) and is now causing some serious trouble for the arcade.

Meanwhile, Ralph's mom has always been torn by the notion that she's a bad guy, but is still supposed to be a mom and all that.

Ralph and Felix start working on their respective parents. Felix tries to reform his dad, Ralph helps his mom understand that she's still a good person despite being a bad guy.

TWIST-They're both con-artists trying to wrangle control of a game at the arcade, Turbo style. Maybe even infer that Mom and Pops have caused many of the Felix JR closets to be corrupted and unplugged.

Everyone scrambles to save the arcade.

Moral: The line that separates bad guy and good guy is more than just a few lines of code.

Great ideas, I'd love everything but maybe go with a different end game (Doing the Turbo thing again, but with both characters will just gain a lot of ire from the audience). Try to embody a different problem which the audience will understand at first and then be able to watch as they see the game character's point of view.

That said, finding a problem bigger than 'unplugging' is a toughie, I think you need a change in venue first.

My take
I love your idea about bringing the prequel back but instead, pick up where we left off. Ralph and his friends get along, play games, make the best of arcade life. Ralph sees new machines come and go, maybe they expand on their ideas to help those who have been unplugged (as it would really start to pile up) and at the end you have what seems to be an internal utopia. Game characters who have games run the front show while those without take on new (less dangerous) roles. Things seem great.

However, we all know what's coming for Arcades because, let's face it, we've lived it and there are simply too few of them left in the world nowadays. Those which do exist are usually found in special locations. One day, the Arcade is forced to close and no matter where the characters run, they can't escape this fate. Everyone is doomed to be unplugged.

Fast forward time a bit, the arcade closes down and prepares to be turned into something else, maybe a theatre? The machines are all shipped away and we watch as Ralph's machine (along with many others) is carted away in a large truck to a warehouse. Maybe give a spiel where the old owner (or maybe a younger relative, insinuating the owner's unfortunate passing) sells the machines to someone, likely to help pay for the costs of going out of business.

With Ralph's game and tons of others lined up inside an unmarked warehouse, we see time pass. Maybe cobwebs, maybe fast forwarding, maybe a simple fade to black.

Then it's present day, we see the guy who bought all the machines making a deal with a very respectable looking businessman/woman outside the warehouse. The deal is struck and a couple of men throw open the same warehouse and begin carting away the machines. Cut to a new arcade like place, but this is massive. We're talking the arcades we know today, maybe give a shot of vegas (good locale for that sort of thing)? We see Ralph's machine get plugged in.

Ralph and co re-awaken to find their view port into our world has completely changed. Ralph is worried about the princess (because he likely can't see her game anymore) and everyone is scared and confused. Because the game was off, they don't realise just how much time has passed.

But before things get too worrisome and confusing, a train rolls in from what must be the new, Game Central Station and there are all new characters here to welcome their new buddies. Included, but at the end for good effect, are the characters from the original Fix It Felix (which turns out sits right next to the Fix it Felix junior machine).

Now we follow your ideas about how the original Felix is a jerk and the like (ie: A good guy isn't necessarily a GOOD guy) while Ralph & Co. get used to their new lives in the (much bigger and far more extensive) arcade.

Life seems sweet in the arcade, but the game sprites before the group have already segregated themselves into 'racial' categories based on their much more abundant groupings (Retro/8bit/action/shooter/racing...) and now Ralph, Felix and Co are all expected to stay 'with their own kind'. This would likely be anything 8 bit/retro (maybe they're in the 'retro' part of the arcade) and allows for better development on Calhoun and Felix Jr especially because now they're no longer allowed to be married. Game characters don't necessarily practice the same tolerance we do after all. Maybe the 8-bit characters are tired of the clumsy 3d characters almost killing them because they don't have health bars (touch of death!), etc.

Then, to top it off, we need a big, daunting problem to be solved (preferrably something you can't put a face on). Not only do Ralph & Co have to conquer this new state of intolerance and separation, they need to figure out how to solve this big, daunting problem and there's a good chance they can't do it without the co-operation of the other game characters.

Maybe the arcade is due to be shut down (doesn't make sense with the current plot, I know) or the machines are going to be scrapped? Maybe one of the newer machines caught a virus by plugging in online (share scores?) which threatens to wipe out the entire arcade? I was thinking something where the only chance for survival is escaping to the internet simply for the fact that it gives Ralph & Co. a place to exist without the looming threat of non-existence, to give the audience a state of final peace.

Fix it Felix Sr. could be the poster boy for racial intolerance in the retro section to, give him more of a set up for a villain role.

Karoht
2012-11-29, 03:21 PM
Problem. It's been established that unplugging the game = game being wiped out. The characters can hide out in the Station, but that too will eventually be unplugged as well.

It's the same problem with transporting a game closet and trying to keep all the high scores.

So when it is plugged back in, you have what, reset versions of the characters?
So you've got Ralph and Felix before they've gone through the events of the first film. Same with all the rest of the characters. That seems awkward at best.

The article on Wiki seems to think that they're going to orient towards modernizing. Online and console gaming. I think it's more likely they'll end up somehow getting an internet connection in the arcade as part of the sequel hook.

Sipex
2012-11-29, 03:29 PM
That's true, but I thought it was never really confirmed what happens when they're unplugged. The characters look to it as a sort of 'death' where they have no idea what happens once it occurs, but nobody comes back. It really depends on what happens when a machine is plugged back in.

While we have no proof, we do know that 'memories' are kept in the data of the game and when Penelope crossed the finish line and her game reset (the proposed situation if a machine is plugged back in) they seem to keep their memories. However, I don't know how a 'power off' scenario would affect this in the Disney made world.

I was thinking going solely online with my theory, but it felt like I was just ripping off Kid Radd too much (which is a comic based on the lives of game characters who have to deal with that sort of problem and yes you should definitely read it).

Karoht
2012-11-29, 03:36 PM
That's true, but I thought it was never really confirmed what happens when they're unplugged. The characters look to it as a sort of 'death' where they have no idea what happens once it occurs, but nobody comes back. It really depends on what happens when a machine is plugged back in.

While we have no proof, we do know that 'memories' are kept in the data of the game and when Penelope crossed the finish line and her game reset (the proposed situation if a machine is plugged back in) they seem to keep their memories. However, I don't know how a 'power off' scenario would affect this in the Disney made world.

I was thinking going solely online with my theory, but then that felt I was ripping off Kid Radd too much (which is a comic based on the lives of game characters who have to deal with that sort of problem and yes you should definitely read it).
Hmm. Point. It isn't established what happens when the game is plugged back in. Lots of what if's here. What if the characters abandon the game and it is plugged back in? Does the game generate new versions of the characters? Now there is two Ralphs? If they remain in the closet, when it is plugged back in are their memories reset or preserved?

I will have to look up this 'Kid Radd' at some point.

GloatingSwine
2012-11-29, 04:17 PM
You hardly need to go to My Little Pony to find such fandom in video games. Just take a look at Deathsmiles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathsmiles), Touhou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou), several characters from BlazBlue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlazBlue:_Calamity_Trigger), or Hyperdimension Neptunia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdimension_Neptunia).

None of those things are aimed at 8 year old girls though. I mean there's two bullet hell shooters, a 2d fighting game, and an SRPG, all pretty much hardcore gaming things to start with.

There are similarities between the Touhou and MLP fandoms, mostly in terms of them being sources of vast quantities of derivative fanon (and, in the case of Touhou, better art than Zun is capable of).

But the other things? No.

The Glyphstone
2012-11-29, 04:22 PM
None of those things are aimed at 8 year old girls though. I mean there's two bullet hell shooters, a 2d fighting game, and an SRPG, all pretty much hardcore gaming things to start with.

There are similarities between the Touhou and MLP fandoms, mostly in terms of them being sources of vast quantities of derivative fanon (and, in the case of Touhou, better art than Zun is capable of).

But the other things? No.

Howbout Pokemon then? The show not so much, but the games have a ridiculously large following much older than their targeted audience.

GloatingSwine
2012-11-29, 04:30 PM
Howbout Pokemon then? The show not so much, but the games have a ridiculously large following much older than their targeted audience.

True.

Although these days it's because those people grew up playing them. People who watch My Little Pony now are exactly the same people who made puking noises at their sisters when they were watching it twenty years ago. Pokemon is a 15 year old franchise, after all. People who were in the target audience when red/blue came out are basically mid 20s or older now.

Also, the Pokemon games actually have surprisingly fiddly mechanics that only really come out in competitive multi (since you can smash the singleplayer just about any old how, and things like IVs and EVs only matter for competitive multi), which is always where the older players (even back when red/blue were new) were doing with the games.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-29, 04:55 PM
Worse than being unplugged, what happens if the power in the arcade ever goes out? Not even the power strip is safe then. :smalleek:

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-29, 05:33 PM
I saw the movie and adored it.

On sequels:
I don't think the parent thing would work too well. Fix-Felix-Jr. is the only one with a stated parent (father) which was mentioned in an offhand comment. Since these are video game characters who acknowledge they are programmed, they would only have parents if said parents are programmed. And given what Fix-Felix-Jr. (the name of their game) is, I doubt they actually exist other than a excuse for Felix's hammer.

However, the new giant-arcade/segregation thing makes a lot of sense. Something like a Dave and Busters where there is a humongous selection of games. The issue of unplugging then re-plugging I can't really comment on. Maybe the mysterious benefactor put them on batteries for transport.
Makes the beginning of the movie really sad because they are essentially in a prison.

On Unplugged Games
So I get that if you die in another game, you die for realz. So characters like Q-Bert who have no game are basically on their last life. Then the bonus level doesn't seem to make any sense to me, unless the level doesn't involve killing them. Just something odd I noticed.

LaZodiac
2012-11-29, 05:49 PM
I saw the movie and adored it.

On sequels:
I don't think the parent thing would work too well. Fix-Felix-Jr. is the only one with a stated parent (father) which was mentioned in an offhand comment. Since these are video game characters who acknowledge they are programmed, they would only have parents if said parents are programmed. And given what Fix-Felix-Jr. (the name of their game) is, I doubt they actually exist other than a excuse for Felix's hammer.

However, the new giant-arcade/segregation thing makes a lot of sense. Something like a Dave and Busters where there is a humongous selection of games. The issue of unplugging then re-plugging I can't really comment on. Maybe the mysterious benefactor put them on batteries for transport.
Makes the beginning of the movie really sad because they are essentially in a prison.

On Unplugged Games
So I get that if you die in another game, you die for realz. So characters like Q-Bert who have no game are basically on their last life. Then the bonus level doesn't seem to make any sense to me, unless the level doesn't involve killing them. Just something odd I noticed.

The idea is that Q-Bert and pals are in a safe, non death including bonus game.

Destro_Yersul
2012-11-29, 06:41 PM
Unplugged Games:
It's probably important to note that the only person in Felix's game who can actually die, as far as the game's mechanics go, is Felix. You don't win the game by killing Ralph, he just gets tossed off the building, and Felix's hammer is useless as a weapon, since it fixes everything it touches, including game characters - if Felix hit Q-bert or one of the others with it, it would heal them.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-11-29, 09:27 PM

Well, she's one dynamite gal. :smallwink:

tbok1992
2012-11-29, 09:36 PM
Part of me really wishes that this was a Pixar movie for no other reason than to tie it in to the theory that all Pixar movies take place in the same universe, and then to draw comparisons between Wreck-It Ralph and Toy Story.

I actually do consider Toy Story and Wreck-It Ralph (And likely Kid Radd) part of the same universe in my own personal canon. But I also take it as a part of my personal canon that Mr. Potter from It's A Wonderful Life died of a heart attack offscreen with Clarence mocking him, so take that as you will.

Pokonic
2012-11-29, 09:56 PM
I do no a way to determine if it counts asa Pixar movie or not:

Is there a Pizza Planet truck anyware in the movie?:smalltongue:

PhantomFox
2012-11-29, 11:14 PM
I do no a way to determine if it counts asa Pixar movie or not:

Is there a Pizza Planet truck anyware in the movie?:smalltongue:

No, no. The real test is to see if anyone's voiced by John Ratzenberger.

DigoDragon
2012-12-03, 07:15 AM
You DO Also, that's why they had M Bison say the first "going Turbo" line. To trick you. This movie is a tricky tricky movie.

My wife owns the PS game "Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo" and I never liked that game. So when Bison said that line, I ended up laughing my butt off.

Worse than being unplugged, what happens if the power in the arcade ever goes out? Not even the power strip is safe then. :smalleek:

Then I hope there's a battery backup.