PDA

View Full Version : Whodunit? (A strangely clue-like adventure sprinkled with werewolves)

Averis Vol
2012-11-09, 10:52 PM
Eddy, anthony, ino and jack, stay out of this thread.

So my level three group just finished escaping their first siting of the BBEG (A giant octo-squid abomination using the statistics of the worm that walks) and made their way out through a long forgotten catacomb (It was a tomb of ancient heroes past meant to guide the heroes of the future with a lesson of their past) and walked past a crystal clear pool of the purest mineral water on the face of the earth. (Again, just a method of free healing since this is a low magic environment)

so they make it through the under dungeon, the actual crypt area, and have a chance to learn a bit about their enemy, but of course they ignore the obvious plot hints (as good little PC's are prone to do) and exit through the staircase that leads them to a cliff. Here I congratulated them and they leveled up to four. So now they had two options: They could risk a long climb down a cliff face to get directly back to the battlefield they left, or they could take the long walk through the orc infested forest they were pretty much bound to clean up due to 22,000 gold debt they owed a gnome thurge.

They chose the path through the forest (if you couldn't already tell by the way it was more clearly explained) and now I plan for them to come to a small village with gruff, haggard looking humans that are quite on edge. They will be herded into town at weapon point and questioned to why they are here. Once the villagers figure out that they are part of the military the elder is going to ask them to assist with a small matter. If they don't accept, they will go on their merry way and try to find their way out of the forest. Alone. Guideless. With no supplies.
If they accept the villagers will offer to aid them with supplies, a guide and potentially some other nifty things (I'm not a fan of just throwing piles of coins around like its nothing, so maybe an ancient set of armor found in one of the many forest ruins, or another knick knack they probably wont sell.)

So, now to the actual mission. There will have been a rash of murders in town, along with the appearance of unusual wolf packs. They believe that lycanthropy is evolving again from the bites of the creatures in the forest. The kings great great grandfather, when he first became king, cleansed the land of lycanthropy and that won him his throne, so they are confused as to why that would be. Now, I have the town designed (Its based loosely off of the town in fable one that had its own werewolf problem) Now I just can't think of very interesting clues to hide around town, and was wondering if you fine folk here would have any suggestions.

POINTS OF INTEREST

there is a craftsmans....its kind of a court, just a semi circle of buildings really, in one corner of town, here is where the various metal, stone and wood smiths ply their trade.

Directly across to street are two bath houses. There are four rooms a piece with wood fire bath tubs, along with a communal sauna at the back.

About twenty feet to the left is the general store, its one of the biggest buildings in town, save the jail, and has some good back room space.

Across the way from the general store is the community well from which they draw their water; It is hundreds of feet deep and the water is very pure.

At the opposite end of town is a large cobblestone and wood building. This is the jail house, it is two stories and has about 8 cells, and in the very back is a supply closet holding...well, jail supplies.

Outside of the jail house and to the left is the Residential quarter, here is a bunch of wooden homes, all single story. mixed between the building are two dead ends where the homes block off the walkway.

and lastly across from the homes is a sort of botanical area where they grow food and herd small animals for food. at the back of the area is a sort of slop/feed/whatever goats and such eat.

well thats it, one last bit. my party is:
elf scout 4
human barbarian 4
tiefling ranger 1/ rogue 2
human swashbuckler 3/fighter 1
human fighter 4

thanks in advance.

Istari
2012-11-09, 11:37 PM
Well the easiest thing to do would be to focus on the social interaction between the players and the villagers, have a couple of witnesses of questionable accuracy or truthfulness and have villagers suspicious of other ones.

Averis Vol
2012-11-10, 02:27 PM
thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I do intend to have one of the villagers, not sure which, actually be the werewolf. And some people will know more then others depending on how persuasive the group is. But I was wondering if anyone had ideas for things like, blood splatter here or some such that might make this a slightly creepier and dark session. (Kinda to make up for not having a Halloween session)

Maybe have the villagers turn on eachother at some point; even the people who aren't guilty start fearing for their lives and making wild accusations, then the PC's have to sort the lies from the chaff.

ravagerofworlds
2012-11-10, 03:11 PM
Your village may need a brothel/tavern of ill repute; one of the clues could be the town drunk who swears he saw monsters his last binge on the town wall/watch tower/ etc.

Other clues would be the villagers' nonverbal communication- did they put common folk remedies against lycanthropy over their doors? Is there a sudden interest in the local church/temple/shrine? Is there a silver shortage and a huge surge in business for the local smithy? Perhaps a traveling salesman is in town selling "anti lycanthropy potions" for only 5 silver! These are all assuming that the locals know they have lycanthropes.

Aside from missing persons, and viewing the murder scenes (ala CSI; If your Ranger/Rogue or Barbarian have track as a feat, they can learn a lot from the murder sites), there could also be competing rumors with lycanthropes. Perhaps Winter Wolves could be mistaken, or Worgs, etc.

You may want to look online at writing resources such as this (http://voices.yahoo.com/cliches-avoid-writing-mystery-story-583767.html); you'll also want to include red herrings among your clues.

Averis Vol
2012-11-10, 05:25 PM
Your village may need a brothel/tavern of ill repute; one of the clues could be the town drunk who swears he saw monsters his last binge on the town wall/watch tower/ etc.

...I can't believe I forgot a tavern. Thanks, I think I'll reintroduce Baltic Thumblestumble, hes an old halfling drunk I had in a past campaign.

Other clues would be the villagers' nonverbal communication- did they put common folk remedies against lycanthropy over their doors? Is there a sudden interest in the local church/temple/shrine? Is there a silver shortage and a huge surge in business for the local smithy? Perhaps a traveling salesman is in town selling "anti lycanthropy potions" for only 5 silver! These are all assuming that the locals know they have lycanthropes.
The forest they are in is the Ghostwoods. the only Inhabitants it has are orcs, beasts, and a few holdout towns from the first era (such as this one), there are no churches in god forsaken lands and no currency. They probably are going to give the PC's an assortment of silver weaponry to slay the beast and have some weird sacrificial ritual to ward the town (not human, probably pigs/goats)

Aside from missing persons, and viewing the murder scenes (ala CSI; If your Ranger/Rogue or Barbarian have track as a feat, they can learn a lot from the murder sites), there could also be competing rumors with lycanthropes. Perhaps Winter Wolves could be mistaken, or Worgs, etc.
They are in the throngs of winter, and strange things are bred where gods hold no control.....

thanks.

You may want to look online at writing resources such as this (http://voices.yahoo.com/cliches-avoid-writing-mystery-story-583767.html); you'll also want to include red herrings among your clues.

that is a fantastic link, thank you.

sessions tonight, so any more help people see fit to throw my way is appreciated, but I'm sure this is going to be a highlight session of this story arc.

Laserlight
2012-11-11, 09:13 AM
So, now to the actual mission. There will have been a rash of murders in town, along with the appearance of unusual wolf packs. They believe that lycanthropy is evolving again from the bites of the creatures in the forest. The kings great great grandfather, when he first became king, cleansed the land of lycanthropy and that won him his throne, so they are confused as to why that would be. Now, I have the town designed (Its based loosely off of the town in fable one that had its own werewolf problem) Now I just can't think of very interesting clues to hide around town, and was wondering if you fine folk here would have any suggestions.

You might be interested in a similar situation in the classic Three Hearts and Three Lions, by Poul Anderson. Very highly recommended.