PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a social class.

blakmetalmedik
2012-11-09, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, trying to pick a class and i could use a little help. Basically its going to be an urban game.Im going to be a rather social character so Im starting with a base class of expert and taking all the social skills. My character has very little combat experience at the moment, so i couldn't justify taking a normal class at level 1, works great flavor wise.
I want to be heavy social, with maybe a slight touch of rogueness. Obviously i could go rogue, just looking for more options, any thoughts?

Snowbluff
2012-11-09, 11:39 PM
Beguiler and Bard would be a good option.

Or aristocrat.

Make your way into something like Charlatan or Emissary of Barachiel afterwards.

blakmetalmedik
2012-11-10, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Ill have to ponder abit and see how this is going to go, aristocrat isnt bad. But i do see the character eventually becoming a tad more martial. Sorceror was an idea but losing a caster level wasnt attractive

Doc_Pippin
2012-11-10, 01:40 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060308a&page=4

best social PrC I know of plus take Racial paragons and mercantile background and other crafter or merchant feats Be rich enough to hire adventurers for you!

Tvtyrant
2012-11-10, 01:49 AM
I would suggest Factotum, because they have an ungodly amount of skills and little need for anything but intelligence and con. That leaves room for a nice charisma modifier, and you are good at anything you put your mind to.

Diovid
2012-11-10, 04:38 AM
Charlatan (5 level prc from Dragon Magazine 335) is one of the best social classes around.

Other tips:

The 1st Changeling Rogue substitution level (Races of Eberron) is pretty much required to be your first level if it's allowed. Changelings also have a few nice Changeling-only feats and they can take levels in the Cabinet Trickster prc (Races of Eberron).

If Changeling is not allowed, Half-Elf (or Desert Half-Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfElves) which is strictly better) has some nice options in Races of Destiny, namely a few Half-Elf only feats and substitution levels.

A 1-level dip in Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) for Motivate Charisma gives you 2x Cha to Cha-based checks instead of 1x.

A 1-level dip in the Mountebank (Complete Scoundrel) gives you Int to bluff, the Rapscallion feat (Dragon Magazine 315) does the same and they stack.

The Exemplar prc (Complete Adventurer) has some nice options to further boost social skills.

The interaction skill tricks from Complete Scoundrel are worth checking out.

The feats Combat Panache, Fade into Violence, Master Manipulator and Wanderer's Diplomacy from PHB II might interest you.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-10, 03:33 PM
I would suggest Factotum, because they have an ungodly amount of skills and little need for anything but intelligence and con. That leaves room for a nice charisma modifier, and you are good at anything you put your mind to a skill rank in.

Fixed that for ya. Factotums don't have much combat ability outside of Iaijutsu Focus and spamming Cunning Surge. So just be aware that you are like 80% utility, and you'll need to find some creative spell use (like Wraithstrike + Full 2H PA for a one-off burst of damage) and to contribute to combat. They can make good trippers though, because of Brains Over Brawn.

For when you need a ridiculous bonus to a check, Cunning Knowledge + Max Ranks + MWK tool + Take 10 will let you succeed basically any level appropriate skill DC.

Jungian
2012-11-10, 04:06 PM
Changeling Rogue Sub level is fantastic. It makes you the ruler of all social situations, plus you are a changeling which is entertaining in its own right.