PDA

View Full Version : RAI of Intentional Gaze Attacks

willpell
2012-11-10, 01:20 AM
From the Simple Question per RAW thread:

Q1293
Since a creature with a Gaze Attack can use an "attack action" to inflict its gaze upon someone, and does not need to roll an attack to do so, a creature who gets an iterative attack due to a BAB of 6 can make one weapon attack at their full BAB, then "subtract" 5 BAB for their iterative attack but use that attack to Gaze someone, requiring no attack roll, correct?

Re: A 1289
A 1293 No.

Gaze attacks not produced by a spell are supernatural.

Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

The text in the DMG section on gaze attacks does specifically say "an attack action".

Re: A 1293
Yes, and there's one attack action which specifically fits the action requirement: the standard action attack (Player's Handbook, page 139).

Don't confuse "an attack action" with "an attack". You may make one attack in a standard action attack, and possibly multiple attacks (depending on your BAB) in a full attack action. Both of these are attack actions, but only one fits the requirement for Supernatural abilities.

Well then why didn't the gaze attack text say "a standard action"? Why would the term 'an attack action" even exist if it was no different from standard?

This is not a simple question, and, to be honest, do you really need to ask this? :smallwink:

Courtesy of Curmudgeon's response, yes I do. The standard action is the default; it applies when nothing is specified. This clearly does specify a nonexistent type of action-as-unit-of-time, and thus I want to know what the RAI here is. I believe it was intended that you could perform multiple direct-gaze attacks if your BAB allows more attacks in combat. Perhaps this is not explicated by RAW, but I am not Curmudgeon and do not obey even the most obviously unreasonable details of the as-written text, because I know that writers and editors are human and fallible, and so take it as read that they screwed up sometimes when attempting to communicate the mechanisms they thought they were explaining. To me, the use of a (literally) non-standard term in this context is an obvious clue that an exception to the usual rules exists, and was simply not spelled out correctly.

So there you have it. I contend that RAI appears to state that a medusa who has enough BAB that she could fire multiple shots from her bow could instead choose to "aim" her gaze at multiple persons. Curmudgeon quotes rules that appear to prove otherwise, but IMO he is taking them out of context; I think that if the writers had planned to make intentional gazing always a standard action, they would have simply said "as a standard action" rather than "as an attack action".

Since we know the editors didn't always succeed in conveying what they wanted to convey (unless drown-healing really was their intent, which I doubt), I figure we have to play detective sometimes, and the use of an unusual term like "attack action" here seems like a definite smoking gun to me.

The Random NPC
2012-11-10, 02:46 AM
What about the part where it says
It is possible for an opponent to save against a creature's gaze twice during the same round, once before its own action and once during the creature's action.

EDIT:
Aside: If you want a RAI answer, you shouldn't ask in the RAW thread.

Deophaun
2012-11-10, 02:55 AM
The Rules Compendium states that an active gaze attack requires a standard action. Case closed on that.

What about the part where it says...
That's because there are also passive gaze attacks, and these occur at the start of the target's turn. Passive gaze attacks don't take up the gazing creature's actions.

The Random NPC
2012-11-10, 03:04 AM
That's because there are also passive gaze attacks, and these occur at the start of the target's turn. Passive gaze attacks don't take up the gazing creature's actions.

I'm aware of that, I was trying to point out that there are two statements that indicate it is a standard action, the part where it says Su requires a standard action, and the part where it says you can save twice.

ericgrau
2012-11-10, 03:21 AM
"Attack action" refers to the attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#attack) action, i.e. the specific action called "Attack". This is a standard action. The formal term for the attack action is simply "an attack", never is it "attack action". Why did they bother forcing gaze attacks into such a category? No clue. Maybe for the same reason they try to stuff all kinds of object manipulation (pulling a lever, etc.) under one header as a single type of move action. Or forcing all of these under "aid another": giving someone a +2 to an attack roll, giving +2 to AC, giving +2 to skill check or as a special use (!) slapping someone to awake them from a sleep spell. My preccccious rules must have a category for everything, yes, yes! <pets white cat> Why do they define attack actions with such a generic term as "attack"? I dunno, makes no sense to me. Oh well in 3.0 it was worse when IIRC there was no "standard action", only "Action". Pause for a moment and let that sink in... think of all the confusion that one could cause if it was still around.