PDA

View Full Version : Magitech Weapons (or "Why I never interupt my player's ramblings") (3.5 Items, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-10, 06:24 AM
Item creation is not my strong point, so anyone who knows a bit more about it, could you please chime in and tell me if I overlooked anything?

Magic Missile Minigun
This minigun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun) has been crafted of mithral, and imbued with the power of the magic missile spell. Use the following rules to create and use one.

Cost: Crafting one of these guns is costly, and somewhat complicated. First, determine how many barrels the gun will have (minimum is 4). Each barrel is crafted as a wand of magic missile with infinite charges (rules for this are in Unearthed Arcana; there is no hard price, but guidelines given state two to three times the cost of a fully charged wand). This gun also requires at least 25 pounds of mithral, which is 500GP a pound. Add an additional pound of mithral for every additional barrel added above the minimum. Additionally, this weapon is always masterwork, and the masterwork quality must be added to each barrel, so add 200 gold to the price for the base, and 200 gold to the price for each barrel. Mounted miniguns also have the price of either a masterwork mithral heavy shield (for light cover) or a masterwork mithral tower shield (for full cover) added to their price.

NOTE: This gun can be crafted using spells other than magic missile. GMs are strongly advised to think very hard about what spells will be allowed with this, however, as this is a very powerful item. It is recommended you limit the list to single-target spells for simplicity. If you do wish to use this for stronger spells (anything above 4th level), use Craft Staff and the staff creation rules instead of wand creation rules. This gets very expensive very quickly as the spell powers up (for example, a 4 barrel disintegration minigun would require the cost of four staffs of disintegration, or a minimum of 468000 gold). Lastly, there's nothing keeping you from making all the barrels the same spell. Want a gun that fires a different elemental spell from each barrel? Go for it. Range adjustment may be in order if you use different spells.

Use: Using one of these is fairly straightforward. Firing is a full round action. Each round spent firing the minigun is treated as activating each barrel once. Essentially, you're firing multiple wands as a full round action. So if you built one of these with six barrels, you would fire six magic missile spells each round. All of these missiles fire in a straight line from the gun, not homing like a normal magic missile, meaning that you roll a touch attack for each barrel (not each missile) to see if you hit.

Firing this gun properly requires training, in the form of the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Minigun) feat. This weapon requires two hands to use, and may not be used one handed under any circumstances. Non-proficient users suffer a -4 penalty to hit (in addition to normal non-proficiency penalties). Unlike normal ranged weapons, this gun is limited to long range (400 feet + 40 feet per caster level of the person who cast magic missile during the creation of the gun), and has no range increment.

Creation: Crafting one of these guns requires all of the following:
Craft Wand feat, the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and the Magic Missile spell.

In addition, if you have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, you may give the minigun an enhancement bonus to hit, and apply special weapon properties from the following list: Seeking, Distance or Speed. The Speed property fires off one additional barrel a round.

Types: There are two kinds of minigun you can create: mounted and handheld. EWP (Minigun) gives you proficiency with both types.

Mounted miniguns require an additional 10 pounds of mithral in their creation, and are stationary (although you can craft them mounted onto something moveable, such as a vehicle created for the purpose, or a ship). Mounted miniguns have a shield-like cover built around the gun, granting partial cover to the firer; an additional cost of 10 pounds of mithral increases this to improved cover. Mounted miniguns may have a maximum of up to 16 barrels.

Handheld miniguns require no additional cost to create, but also offer no cover. Unlike mounted miniguns, however, they may be carried or moved and fired (although you cannot move in the same round you fire). Handheld miniguns may have a maximum of up to eight barrels.

Magic Missile Handgun
This handgun has been crafted of mithral, and imbued with the power of the magic missile spell. Use the following rules to create and use one.

Cost: Use the rules for crafting a wand of magic missile with infinite charges to determine the cost of the handgun. Additionally, the gun is made from one pound of mithral.

NOTE: This gun can be crafted using spells other than magic missile. GMs are strongly advised to think very hard about what spells will be allowed with this, however, as this is a powerful item. It is recommended you limit the list to single-target spells for simplicity. If you do wish to use this for stronger spells (anything above 4th level), use Craft Staff and the staff creation rules instead of wand creation rules.

Use: Using this weapon is very straightforward. Each time the gun is fired, it launches a single missile in a straight line, not homing like a normal magic missile, meaning that you roll a ranged touch attack to see if you hit. This weapon may be used to fire iterative attacks.

Firing this weapon properly requires training, in the form of the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Handgun) feat. This weapon is one handed. Non-proficient users suffer a -4 penalty to hit (in addition to normal non-proficiency penalties). Unlike normal ranged weapons, this gun is limited to medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per caster level of the person who cast magic missile during the creation of the gun), and has no range increment.

In addition, if you have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, you may give the handgun an enhancement bonus to hit, and apply special weapon properties from the following list: Seeking, Distance or Speed.

Magic Missile Machine Gun
This machine gun has been crafted of mithral, and imbued with the power of the magic missile spell. Use the following rules to create and use one.

Cost: Use the rules for crafting a wand of magic missile with infinite charges to determine the cost of the machine gun. Additionally, the machine gun is made from 10 pounds of mithral. This machine gun is also always masterwork, so add 200 gold to the cost of creation.

NOTE: This gun can be crafted using spells other than magic missile. GMs are strongly advised to think very hard about what spells will be allowed with this, however, as this is a powerful item. It is recommended you limit the list to single-target spells for simplicity. If you do wish to use this for stronger spells (anything above 4th level), use Craft Staff and the staff creation rules instead of wand creation rules.

Use: Using this weapon is very straightforward. Firing is either a standard action (which fires up to 6 missiles) or a full round action (which fires up to 10 missiles). Each time the machine gun is fired, it launches its missiles in a straight line, not homing like a normal magic missile, meaning that you roll a ranged touch attack for each missile to see if you hit.

Firing this weapon properly requires training, in the form of the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Machine Gun) feat. This weapon is two handed; firing one handed gives you a -4 penalty to hit. Non-proficient users suffer a -4 penalty to hit (in addition to normal non-proficiency penalties). Unlike normal ranged weapons, this gun is limited to medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per caster level of the person who cast magic missile during the creation of the gun), and has no range increment.

In addition, if you have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, you may give the machine gun an enhancement bonus to hit, and apply special weapon properties from the following list: Seeking, Distance or Speed. The Speed enhancement lets the gun fire one extra missile as a standard action, or two extra missiles as a full attack.

Fireblast Bazooka
This bazooka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka) has been crafted out of mithral, and is imbued with the fireblast vial (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234798) spell. Use the following rules to create and use one.

Cost: Use the rules for crafting a staff of fireblast vial with infinite charges to determine the cost of the bazooka. Additionally, the bazooka is created from 15 pounds of mithral. This bazooka is also always masterwork, so add 200 gold to the cost of creation.

Use: Using one of these is fairly straightforward. Loading the gun is a move action; the Rapid Reload feat reduces this to a swift action. The ammunition loaded is flasks of alchemist's fire, however these flasks must be created to withstand the force of firing, and as such each round costs 30 gold instead of 20. Firing the bazooka is a full round action. This weapon has a range of 200 feet.

Firing this gun properly requires training, in the form of the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bazooka) feat. This weapon requires two hands to use, and may not be used one handed under any circumstances. Non-proficient users suffer a -4 penalty to hit (in addition to normal non-proficiency penalties).

Craft Wand feat, the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and the Fireblast Vial spell.

In addition, if you have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, you may give the bazooka an enhancement bonus to hit, and apply special weapon properties from the following list: Seeking, Distance or Speed. The Speed property reduces firing time to a standard action.

Stun Gun
This stun gun is crafted from mithral, and is imbued with electric power to stun foes. Use the following rules to create and use one.

Cost: Use the rules for crafting a wand of shocking grasp with infinite charges to determine the cost of the stun gun. Additionally, the gun is made from one pound of mithral. This gun is also always masterwork, so add 200 gold to the cost of creation.

Use: Using this weapon is very straightforward. Attacking with it is a melee touch attack. Upon a successful hit, the foe is shocked, and becomes stunned for one round per caster level of the one who cast shocking grasp during item creation (up to a maximum of 5 rounds). Against creatures that are wearing metal armor, or carrying lots of metal, you gain a +3 bonus to hit. Resistance to electricity reduces how many rounds you are stunned for by 1 round per 10 points of resistance. Immunity to electricity or stunning renders you immune to this weapon's stunning effects. Critical hit is threatened upon a roll of 20, and a successful critical hit doubles the amount of time the creature hit is stunned for.

Firing this weapon properly requires training, in the form of the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Stun Gun) feat. Non-proficient users have a 10% chance of accidentally shocking themselves each time they use this weapon.

Craft Wand feat, the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and the Shocking Grasp spell.

In addition, if you have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, you may give the stun gun an enhancement bonus to hit, and apply special weapon properties from the following list: Dancing, Shock, Shocking Burst, Speed or Spell Storing.

Orb of Force Sniper Rifle
This sniper rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M21_Sniper_Weapon_System) has been crafted of mithral, and imbued with the power of the Orb of Force spell. Use the following rules to create and use one.

Cost: Use the rules for crafting a wand of orb of force and a wand of magic stone with infinite charges to determine the cost of the sniper rifle. Additionally, the rifle is made from 10 pounds of mithral. This rifle is also always masterwork, so add 200 gold to the cost of creation.

Additionally, this gun may be given a scope. Creating the scope requires an additional pound of mithral, and two lenses crafted of crystal worth at least 100 gold each. The lenses are imbued with the Scry spell keyed to a series of command words to control the spell, letting the person firing the rifle zoom in and out on his target, effectively doubling his range, and increasing his ability to strike critical hits. Use the pricing for a Crystal Ball to determine the cost of the scope, as well as adding additional spells to the scope. This item is always masterwork.

Lastly, this gun may be given an expanded magazine to hold ammo. This magazine can hold up to 1000 bullets, but is always the same size and weight the same as a standard magazine (one pound). Crafting an expanded magazine requires one pound of mithral, is always masterwork, and the enchantment costs 4000 gold. (Note: non-magical magazines may be made, and need not be made of mithral or masterwork, however they cannot later be made into expanded magazines if they are not.)

Lastly, ammunition must be made of metal, and generally costs one silver a bullet. The rifle cannot fire enchanted ammunition.

Use: Using this weapon is very straightforward. The gun must first be loaded with ammo; a standard magazine holds 20 rounds, and reloading the cartridge completely takes 3 rounds (reloading an expanded magazine completely would thus take 50 rounds, or 5 minutes). It is somewhat common for warriors equipped with these to carry multiple magazines, as swapping a magazine is a move action (or a free action with Rapid Reload). Each shot counts as an attack, and the rifle may be used for iterative attacks. Each time the rifle is fired, roll a ranged touch attack for each shot to see if you hit. Each shot does 1d10 piercing damage, plus damage as an Orb of Force spell. This weapon threatens a critical hit on a roll of 19-20 (or 18-20 with a scope), and does four times the damage on a successful critical hit (the only damage multiplied by this is the 1d10, not the extra spell damage).

Firing this weapon properly requires training, in the form of the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Sniper Rifle) feat. This weapon is two handed, and cannot be used one handed. Non-proficient users suffer a -4 penalty to hit (in addition to normal non-proficiency penalties). This rifle has a range increment of 500 feet (with scope) or 250 feet (without scope).

Craft Wand feat, the Craft Wondrous Item feat, and the Magic Stone and Orb of Force spells. The scope requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat and the Scry spell (as well as whatever other spells you apply to it). The expanded magazine requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat and the Rope Trick spell.

In addition, if you have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, you may give the sniper rifle an enhancement bonus to hit, and apply special weapon properties from the following list: Flaming, Frost, Shock, Flaming Burst, Icy Burst, Shocking Burst, Thundering, Anarchic, Axiomatic, Holy, Unholy, Seeking, Keen, Wounding, Distance or Speed.

Blightedmarsh
2012-11-10, 09:00 AM
What about an endless decanter jetpack?

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-10, 09:16 AM
I'm sure I can rig something up. Give me a bit to think on it.

qwertyu63
2012-11-10, 10:42 AM
...wand of magic missile with infinite charges (rules for this are in Unearthed Arcana; there is no hard price, but guidelines given state two to three times the cost of a fully charged wand).

Can I get a page reference on that?

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-10, 11:05 AM
Bugger all, I just went through the whole book, and apparently I had it wrong. Now I actually need to figure out which book those rules are from. :smallannoyed: That's gonna bug me till I remember where I found them. :smallannoyed:

Anyways, thanks for the catch, qwertyu63. Will get back to you with a book and page number.

Howler Dagger
2012-11-10, 11:19 AM
Bugger all, I just went through the whole book, and apparently I had it wrong. Now I actually need to figure out which book those rules are from. :smallannoyed: That's gonna bug me till I remember where I found them. :smallannoyed:

Anyways, thanks for the catch, qwertyu63. Will get back to you with a book and page number.

There are eternal wands from Magic Item Compendium, if that helps.

qwertyu63
2012-11-10, 11:26 AM
There are eternal wands from Magic Item Compendium, if that helps.

Yeah, but those are 2 uses per day (and also a rather good deal, I really love those things). 2/day doesn't a minigun make.

ArkenBrony
2012-11-10, 11:31 AM
DM's guide mentions in page 285 that a 50 charge wand cots half as much as a wand with unlimited uses, if that helps

bobthe6th
2012-11-10, 11:32 AM
Umm... a rod of many wands does this, to a degree. You get to use up to three wands at once, and burn a number of charges off each wand equal to the number of wands used.

As for n charge wands, why not just use a normal wand? you have to replace it after 50 shots, but that will be a while. Or just make the gun itself a bigg wand, with multiple out puts. you could recharge it by spending a equal amount of xp/gp as original price/50 x the number of charges you want to add.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-10, 11:57 AM
Umm... a rod of many wands does this, to a degree. You get to use up to three wands at once, and burn a number of charges off each wand equal to the number of wands used.

Heh. I've got this beautiful image of a Rambo-type character shooting off one of these, draped in bandoleers of wands.

bobthe6th
2012-11-10, 12:35 PM
That is the idea... but you burn through them fast.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-10, 01:02 PM
Belt-fed (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju4/SjzXrN6qc6I/AAAAAAAABYc/oruyGMj3m1Q/s400/Belt+Fed+1919,+308+Caliber+Machine.jpg)miniguns, anyone?

bobthe6th
2012-11-10, 01:10 PM
That is the idea... but you burn through them fast.

Telok
2012-11-10, 01:29 PM
1: Enchant a masterwork rowboat with continuous Levitate (30,350 gp)
2: Enchant a masterwork barrel with continuous command word controlled Gust of Wind (30,310 gp)
3: Affix the barrel to the stern of the boat with an iron frame. Add a tiller and vanes to direct the wind.

Congratulations you've made a landspeeder.

Blightedmarsh
2012-11-10, 01:30 PM
You need some kind of recharge/cooling off device built into those things.

Perhaps some kind of backpack mounted tesla coil/dream catcher arrangement that channels in the life energy of those it kills as well as absorbing ambient magic; thus recharging the wands over time or with use. Would possibly go well with an ark lightning wand/rod/stave. (don't cross the streams).

A decanter jetpack would involve a Barnes and back frame with a pair of gimbal mounted decanters. The buckle of the harness would have a feather fall enchantment on it to reduce your overall weight. You also want a pair of analog stick with adjustable triggers to control the direction and strength of the decanter jets.

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-16, 02:07 AM
Added the magic missile machine gun, and changed pricing a little bit.

Still on the "to create" list: shotgun, sniper rifle, cannon, mecha, and a handful of magitech constructs.

DiBastet
2012-11-16, 10:59 PM
Burning hands flamethrower, tesla cannon, ebon eyes night vision googles and shatter blast charges are a must.

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-17, 03:24 AM
I like the cut of your jib, sir! Although flamethrowers are more like a line of fire than a cone...Also, a buddy of mine told me this needs more dakka, so I'm in the process of D&Diffying the GAU-8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger) and the A-10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II) to mount it in.

I also have a secondary project that these ideas spawned in the works, so look forward to it! :smallwink:

qwertyu63
2012-11-17, 08:43 AM
A decanter jetpack would involve a Barnes and back frame with a pair of gimbal mounted decanters. The buckle of the harness would have a feather fall enchantment on it to reduce your overall weight. You also want a pair of analog stick with adjustable triggers to control the direction and strength of the decanter jets.

Don't forget to set it up so you can aim a jet forward, for offensive use. (http://www.mariowiki.com/F.L.U.D.D.)

Realms of Chaos
2012-11-17, 05:30 PM
Wait a moment. If I remember item creation rules properly, the cost to give an item uses per day = unlimited use price /(5/# of uses per day). Thus, to get an eternal wand with unlimited charges, all you have to do is multiply the base cost by x 2.5 (as the original cost came from base cost/[5/2]).

Edit: Alternately, just make a command word item and create a magic missile gun for 1,800 gp +3,600 gp for each missile to be shot beyond the first.

ArkenBrony
2012-11-17, 10:23 PM
Don't forget to set it up so you can aim a jet forward, for offensive use. (http://www.mariowiki.com/F.L.U.D.D.)

dont forget the dreaded badger launcher (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/)

Blightedmarsh
2012-11-18, 03:00 AM
Or you could put some kind of shock ring around the decanters neck. Use the jets as a conductor for ranged touch attack shenanigans.

Noctis Vigil
2012-11-18, 04:20 AM
Alright, sniper rifle added! That was was complicated to create, but I'm quite pleased with how it came out. :smallbiggrin: