PDA

View Full Version : PF: Aasimar Sound Strike

Snowbluff
2012-11-10, 11:32 AM
Okay, so Aasimar get's +1/2 to the bard level to a performance as their bonus.

Assuming it uses the Suggestion formula DC calculation, the DC (10 + 1/2 level + Cha mod) and the Dice dealt (capping at 10d8 at level 7) go up each time you take this bonus.

My question is, can you unlock weird words early with this method? Or is it just the effects?

BTB
2012-11-10, 12:45 PM
"Choose one bardic performance; treat the bard as +1/2 level higher when determining the effects of that performance."

By RAW, I'd say only when determining it's effects. So no, you can't get it early. I'd say pump that bonus into good old inspire courage.

Psyren
2012-11-10, 12:54 PM
Agreed with BTB - you have to have a given bardic performance to gain its effects, so this won't help you get it early. And since it has a cap, this isn't a good ability to put the bonus into, imo.

Snowbluff
2012-11-10, 01:06 PM
"Choose one bardic performance; treat the bard as +1/2 level higher when determining the effects of that performance."

By RAW, I'd say only when determining it's effects. So no, you can't get it early. I'd say pump that bonus into good old inspire courage.

Kk, that's what I thought.

If it was good ol' 3.5 Inspire, sure. It's not. :smalltongue:

Agreed with BTB - you have to have a given bardic performance to gain its effects, so this won't help you get it early. And since it has a cap, this isn't a good ability to put the bonus into, imo.

The DC isn't capped. If the objective is a sound strike, getting bonuses to the DC is a valid use, is it not?

BTB
2012-11-10, 02:20 PM
It may not be as good as 3.5 inspire (which I'm admittedly less familiar with), but it's still one of your best buffs IMO. As for increasing the DC of Sound Striker, most monsters have a pretty good fort save, you might actually be better off just increasing your Hit Points than trying to make Weird Words more reliabel, since DR will eat that up anyhow.

jmelesky
2012-11-10, 02:34 PM
It may not be as good as 3.5 inspire (which I'm admittedly less familiar with), but it's still one of your best buffs IMO. As for increasing the DC of Sound Striker, most monsters have a pretty good fort save, you might actually be better off just increasing your Hit Points than trying to make Weird Words more reliabel, since DR will eat that up anyhow.

In 3.5, the buff was weaker (well, it was still +1 at 1st, but took more levels before increasing), but it lingered for several rounds after the bard stopped singing. On the other hand, bard song precluded many other actions (like spellcasting) that are now possible in PF.

Like many PF changes, some feel it a nerf. Overall, it seems an improvement to me.

BTB
2012-11-10, 02:51 PM
Eh, if you want ti to last a few more rounds just take Lingering Performance. Seems like it got a bit of a buff to me too. But, I never played 3.5, not my call to make.

Snowbluff
2012-11-10, 03:20 PM
In 3.5, the buff was weaker (well, it was still +1 at 1st, but took more levels before increasing), but it lingered for several rounds after the bard stopped singing. On the other hand, bard song precluded many other actions (like spellcasting) that are now possible in PF.

Like many PF changes, some feel it a nerf. Overall, it seems an improvement to me.

Hahaha... except it's not 3.5. The Words of Creation and Song of the Heart and a Bard's Vest made getting +10 easy. Combine (Dual Song) with DFI and you were worth more than the 2 feats you are as a PF bard.

Eh, if you want ti to last a few more rounds just take Lingering Performance. Seems like it got a bit of a buff to me too. But, I never played 3.5, not my call to make.

Our Song Striker is taking Magician as well, letting him sacrifice spell slots to continue his bonuses. At level 7 he could just Standard action Wierd Words, then resume Inspire Courage as a move action, anyway.

Psyren
2012-11-11, 01:05 AM
The DC isn't capped. If the objective is a sound strike, getting bonuses to the DC is a valid use, is it not?

Huh, good point; didn't think of that,

Snowbluff
2012-11-11, 01:19 AM
Huh, good point; didn't think of that,

Ty. Admittedly, it's 1 extra to the DC every 4 levels, so it's not GREAT...

By the way, how does Weird Words actually work? It's a performance, right? So I can sustain it to deal more damage next round as well?

Psyren
2012-11-11, 01:58 AM
Ty. Admittedly, it's 1 extra to the DC every 4 levels, so it's not GREAT...

By the way, how does Weird Words actually work? It's a performance, right? So I can sustain it to deal more damage next round as well?

It looks like a standard action each round:

A sound striker gains the following type of bardic performance. Neither performance can be performed more quickly than a standard action.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-11, 03:10 AM
Wow, I have never noticed that favored class bonus for aasimar. It fits so well for a character I was thinking about... Dawnflower Dervish with this sounds pretty cool.

BTB
2012-11-11, 04:58 AM
Wow, I have never noticed that favored class bonus for aasimar. It fits so well for a character I was thinking about... Dawnflower Dervish with this sounds pretty cool.

it kicks ass with Dawnflower Dervish. Inspire couraging yourself is like half of your BAB in that build, anything that boosts it kicks ass for you.

Snowbluff
2012-11-11, 11:20 AM
It looks like a standard action each round:

Yeah, but it's a Performance? I think that refers to you not being able to use it a move action at level 7... jees this needs errata... or a mere clarification.

Like ,can i use Magician to keep it going...?

Yeah. Aasimar are boss.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-11, 01:37 PM
Hmm, could a human with Racial Heritage take Aasimar favoured class abilities?

Snowbluff
2012-11-11, 02:00 PM
Hmm, could a human with Racial Heritage take Aasimar favoured class abilities?

Even if you could, which you could, Um...

"Ohai I am a human. My biggest benefit is that I get a bonus feat. Here, let me emulate a race that already gets a Cha bonus and the Favored class bonus I want by sacrificing my feat."

Doesn't seem so good overall. Unless you really like the Aasimar Racial Feats. Metallic Wings is nice.

Psyren
2012-11-11, 10:28 PM
Yeah, but it's a Performance? I think that refers to you not being able to use it a move action at level 7... jees this needs errata... or a mere clarification.

Like ,can i use Magician to keep it going...?

I see it this way: like the Suggestion ability it replaces, Weird Words is its own ability that you can use while performing. So you start the performance as a standard, and as part of that action, you can fire off your attack(s). The following round, it's a free action to keep the performance going, but you still need to spend a standard to throw the words out, just as you would still need a standard to Suggest again on a regular Bard. And so on until you stop performing or run out of performance for the day. Or, instead of WW, you can cast a spell that round instead, full-attack etc.

As for Magician, I would say yes - you sacrifice a spell, get {spell level} many more rounds of performance, and on each of those rounds you can WW as a standard action.

Snowbluff
2012-11-11, 11:04 PM
I see it this way: like the Suggestion ability it replaces, Weird Words is its own ability that you can use while performing. So you start the performance as a standard, and as part of that action, you can fire off your attack(s). The following round, it's a free action to keep the performance going, but you still need to spend a standard to throw the words out, just as you would still need a standard to Suggest again on a regular Bard. And so on until you stop performing or run out of performance for the day. Or, instead of WW, you can cast a spell that round instead, full-attack etc.

As for Magician, I would say yes - you sacrifice a spell, get {spell level} many more rounds of performance, and on each of those rounds you can WW as a standard action.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks!