PDA

View Full Version : Non-Optimizable

Bulix
2012-11-10, 07:08 PM
Hello,

I love the Artificer. It is the most fun class, and, to me, magic items are one of the most important parts of the game.
Now, every time I get hold of an Artificer character, I optimize it. Way too much. How can I get a non-overpowered Artificer character?

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Threadnaught
2012-11-10, 07:26 PM
But thou must optimize, for optimizing is to build on what your character is. Either to improve on strengths, suppress weaknesses, or gain new abilities. It works the other way too, it is possible through optimization, to build the weakest, most useless character ever.

Focus a little on the lesser for of optimization, the one that's almost unheard of and give yourself some weaknesses which you're not allowed to fix and your DM is allowed to abuse as much as they want.

docnessuno
2012-11-10, 07:28 PM
- Never apply 2 metamagic feats to the same consumable.

- Use only the Wizard, Druid and Cleric list to craft scrolls/wands/potions/staves

- Optional: craft scrolls/wands/potions/staves of core spells only

- Refuse to use craft cost reducers

- Astain from breaking the game with spells (infinite gold, infinite wishes, etc)

- Never persist anything

- Don't use any UMD-boosting item

- Don't craft any custom magic item

- Don't take item familiar

- Don't use eternal wands, minor schemas or similar items

- Don't abuse action points

Tvtyrant
2012-11-10, 08:21 PM
You could go even further and not use any metamagic at all. Focus on slotted items, focus on your allies, and you won't over-optimize even in the lowest power group.

Jeff the Green
2012-11-10, 08:31 PM
- Don't use any UMD-boosting item

- Don't use eternal wands, minor schemas or similar items

I agree, more or less, with the other items, but not these two. All boosting UMD does is make you waste less money and actions. Even if you're trying not to overshadow your party members, that's just annoying, not balancing. And eternal wands and minor schemas are far from overpowering. Useful for certain utility spells, but since you can't apply metamagic to them on the fly and they have limited uses/day, they're of limited value.

Another option is to choose with a single roll—buffificer, meleeficer, blastificer, but probably not hordificer—and stick solely with that. If you're a buffificer, don't blast, and vice versa. That way you allow the other party members with different rolls to shine.

nedz
2012-11-10, 09:45 PM
Create an artificer character with an obsession on one item type; be that Rings, Gloves, Boots, ..., whatever. Only make items of that type.

Rubik
2012-11-10, 09:58 PM
Create an artificer character with an obsession on one item type; be that Rings, Gloves, Boots, ..., whatever. Only make items of that type.Actually, that's not a good idea at all, unless it's something like "wondrous items" or "wands." After all, making items for your party is an excellent niche for any crafter, and what's everyone going to do with three dozen belts apiece?

Though I suppose you could stack the heck out of item qualities.

Also, don't use craft cost reducers.

nedz
2012-11-10, 10:52 PM
Well the point was to limit the number of slots available.
If you couple this with refusing to stack enchantments for 'aesthetic' reasons then you reduce the optimisation quite a lot.

If you were to just be a shoemaker then you could go for the Imelda Marcos effect.:smallwink:

Alabenson
2012-11-10, 11:53 PM
I'd say the best way to tone down an Artificer would be to simply not focus on anything one role. By spreading your limited resources trying to cover multiple bases at once you should be able to drop you actual effectiveness down to a reasonable level.

Also, you may want to consider crafting more for your teammates; it won't increase your power directly, but it will make you absolutely loved by the rest of the group (except perhaps by the DM as you snap the entire parties WBL over your knee).

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-10, 11:55 PM
Pretend to be a Rogue, and ONLY a Rogue. Don't do anything outside the Rogue 'role'.

Coidzor
2012-11-11, 12:01 AM
Take a look at every spell that you're thinking about using and asking if it could be considered awesome.

If so, choose a different course of action.

Don't make any items except for the most basic stat-boosters and healing items, and certainly no items found outside the DMG.