PDA

View Full Version : Seven NPCs

fryplink
2012-11-10, 08:18 PM
So, my party is at the end of their campaign, and I'd like to see a challenging fight. They have become Elder Evils. They are destroying as world, summoned by cultists, only a party of adventurers, noticing tells and signs of the coming apocalypse, will be waiting for their arrival. I'd love it if the playground could suggest level 18 game-legal adventurers that I could steal. I would love them to be memorable, powerful but beatable.

Our party is medium-OP, although I'd love a response to a persist-spell cleric that will be making an appearance. Keep them as rule-legal as possible. I'm not disclosing the Party's comp, since the adventurers need to look and fight naturally, not like an encounter tailored to their classes.

Any official WotC 3.5 allowed.l

Shpadoinkle
2012-11-10, 08:24 PM
Which books are allowed?

herrhauptmann
2012-11-10, 08:48 PM
Wait, the party has become elder evils, and you want to challenge a party of elder evils with some adventurers?

Throw Cindy at them. And Punpun. Sir Bearington McBearman the Bearbearian...
Maybe a Mailman sorcerer

Azoth
2012-11-10, 08:53 PM
This sounds fun. I may have to throw my hat into the ring in helping to design them. Give me an allowed source list and let me have my fun. Time to let us set up a team of screw you bad guys that shut this party down fast. BWAHAHAHA!

fryplink
2012-11-10, 09:33 PM
Any official 3.5

Mando Knight
2012-11-10, 09:37 PM
So, my party is at the end of their campaign, and I'd like to see a challenging fight. They have become Elder Evils. They are destroying as world, summoned by cultists, only a party of adventurers, noticing tells and signs of the coming apocalypse, will be waiting for their arrival. I'd love it if the playground could suggest level 18 game-legal adventurers that I could steal. I would love them to be memorable, powerful but beatable.

...Level 18 Elder Evils? Isn't that kind of the thing where other Powers That Be just go "Heh. They think they can destroy the world while we're watching. Isn't that cute?"

Also, most gods wouldn't grant spells to a cleric that became an Elder Evil, I don't think...

(But, anyway, three Wizards, two Druids, and two Clerics should be appropriate.)

fryplink
2012-11-10, 09:56 PM
They are all level 18 characters, in a previously E6 world. their challengers are taking Magic Steroids which allow them to be stronger. Just take the Elder Evils things as "Plot stuff" and know they are level 18 now, and their challengers will also be level 18.

Zonugal
2012-11-10, 10:27 PM
What about a group like this?

#1: A Half-Celestial Lesser Aasimar Cleric 10/Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 3
#2: An Elven Cleric 3/Crusader 1/Cleric 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10
#3: A Human Wu Jen 4/Warblade 1/Jade Pheonix Mage 10
#4: An Elan Egotist 7/Ranger 1/Slayer 10
#5: A Human Shaper 1/Ardent 7/Constructor 10
#6: An Aventi Druid 8/Wavekeeper 10
#7: A Human Rogue 3/Artificer 5/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Rogue 2/Artificer 1/Hit & Run Fighter 1/Unarmed Swordsage 4

They will resemble something akin to this:
http://digboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/alex-ross-justice-league.jpg

TroubleBrewing
2012-11-11, 04:29 AM
Zonugal wins.

Malak'ai
2012-11-11, 06:28 AM

#7: A Human Rogue 3/Artificer 5/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Rogue 2/Artificer 1/Hit & Run Fighter 1/Unarmed Swordsage 4

They will resemble something akin to this:
http://digboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/alex-ross-justice-league.jpg

Now you'll have me trawling through my books to figure out which is which (brain isn't working). :smalltongue:

Runestar
2012-11-11, 08:55 AM
Why not create a celestial hunting party? You can have gold dragons as brutes, with astral devas and trumpet archons as support. Go wild mix and matching assorted celestials. :smallsmile:

Seharvepernfan
2012-11-11, 09:52 AM

#1 = superman
#2 = wonderwoman
#3 = flash
#4 = martian
#5 = green lantern
#6 = aquaman
#7 = batman

How did I do?

OP: Use this party. Please.

Hecuba
2012-11-11, 11:51 AM
#1 = superman
#2 = wonderwoman
#3 = flash
#4 = martian
#5 = green lantern
#6 = aquaman
#7 = batman

How did I do?

For my 2 bits, I think you might be off on 1,2,3.

Flash needs significant boosts to the action economy. JPM offers some (limited to spell delivery mostly), but Ruby Knight Windicator is usually taken to be much much faster. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing on the list outside of 2 that does a particularly good job of representing his speed.

That leaves Supes and Wonder Woman.

This is a bit sketchier:
Which is the half-celestial?
The magical princess breathed to life directly by the gods?
OR
The child from the stars?

Which is the elf?
The imortal princess from the reclusive, advanced, warrior race? (forest-ish elves)
OR
The man from the highly-structured, xenophobic, hyper-advanced alien race? (high elves)

I think Diana is probably 1 and Kal 3. The Prestige Paladin mount gives a way to represent the Wonder Dome (i.e. invisible plane) and Superman's heat vision, while not a particularly amazing analog for the fire abilities of JPM, is the closest I see available here.

(On the other side, I would find it highly odd to see that list start with Wonder Woman over Superman).

herrhauptmann
2012-11-11, 01:44 PM

#1 = superman
#2 = wonderwoman
#3 = flash
#4 = martian
#5 = green lantern
#6 = aquaman
#7 = batman

How did I do?

Yes, use that party.
Though I think Flash should have some swiftblade.
And yeah, I'm not sure which is supposed to be superman and which wonder woman either.

Seharvepernfan
2012-11-11, 01:53 PM
If Windicator's are the fastest, then him being an elf as well totally fits. In that case, I change my order to:

1 = superman
2 = flash
3 = wonder woman

Half-celestial paladin sounds like superman to me. I'm not too sure about wonder woman or the martian - I'm not too familiar with either, and I don't know those classes too well either.

Oh man, yes! Swiftblade!

Elf Scout (or swordsage or warblade)/Transmuter/Swiftblade!

vhfforever
2012-11-11, 02:20 PM
I honestly have to agree with the Justice League, with the Swiftblade Caveat

Zonugal
2012-11-11, 02:21 PM
In retrospect I would change some things around.

Like instead of A Human Shaper 1/Ardent 7/Constructor 10 it would be A Human Shaper 1/Erudite 7/Constructor 10 to gain access to Shadow Evocation & Shadow Conjuration.

Also I totally forgot about Swiftblade... Good call there people.

fryplink
2012-11-11, 04:57 PM
Thanks, this is good. I was looking for sometime a bit more traditional, but this idea was so good, I'm going to have to use it.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-11, 05:36 PM
Thanks, this is good. I was looking for sometime a bit more traditional, but this idea was so good, I'm going to have to use it.

Whichever one is superman, should probably have the Phoenix cloak from MiC. He needs to fly after all.

Hecuba
2012-11-11, 07:02 PM
Whichever one is superman, should probably have the Phoenix cloak from MiC. He needs to fly after all.

By that measure, you would need to give one to Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter too. All of them can fly under their own power.

Half-celestial paladin sounds like superman to me. I'm not too sure about wonder woman or the martian - I'm not too familiar with either, and I don't know those classes too well either.

And see, paladin sounds far more like Wonder Woman than Superman to me. He's certainly exalted, but not particularly divine. Superman is very much a hero of science: he's the Man of Tomorrow.

Wonder Woman is, in contrast, a hero of faith. Depending on what continuity we are in, she is one or more of:

A demigod
A magical princess made from clay and breathed to life by the gods to answer her mother's prayer
Very preachy and prone to try to convert others
Completely incapable of lying
An actual God
The personal champion of Athena

Superman is who you go to if you need to fight an invasion of sufficiently advanced aliens from an alternate dimension. Wonder Woman is who you go to if you need someone to enter single combat with a God.

Coidzor
2012-11-11, 07:34 PM
Superman is who you go to if you need to fight an invasion of sufficiently advanced aliens from an alternate dimension. Wonder Woman is who you go to if you need someone to enter single combat with a God.

That's mostly because Supes is allergic to magic, though.

I must admit, I'm glad this didn't end up as a Seven Samurai thing instead.

Takahashi No Onisan would just be cruel.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-11, 07:38 PM
By that measure, you would need to give one to Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter too. All of them can fly under their own power.

Ahh, but I don't think any of them have a red cape. (Manhunter has a blue one)
edit:
And manhunter should not have a resistance to fire, so no phoenix cloak for him.

Hecuba
2012-11-11, 08:37 PM
Ahh, but I don't think any of them have a red cape. (Manhunter has a blue one)
edit:
And manhunter should not have a resistance to fire, so no phoenix cloak for him.

True, though if I used Alan Scott Green Lantern, I believe he did sport a red cape.