PDA

View Full Version : Wreck-It-Ralph. Need a system idea.

Gamgee
2012-11-11, 01:21 AM
So I seen the movie, I want to run a game where the players are obviously in a video game world and can play characters form games or from games they make. Would any systems in particular be well suited to this?

Fable Wright
2012-11-11, 01:37 AM
GURPS, I hear, is very good at capturing all sorts of different characters. And by all sorts, I mean if you can define what traits you want a character to have, you can build that character. Period.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-11-11, 01:52 AM
Risus would do admirably, and I hear really good things about Primetime Adventures.

I would caution against GURPS (though I haven't seen the movie), because I suspect that WIR runs on "cartoon physics", and I doubt that GURPS covers that. It tends to be a system rooted in realism or at least cinematic realism.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-11-11, 09:24 AM
I would caution against GURPS (though I haven't seen the movie), because I suspect that WIR runs on "cartoon physics", and I doubt that GURPS covers that. It tends to be a system rooted in realism or at least cinematic realism.

Take a look at Mutants and Masterminds; same sort of flexibility as GURPS, but designed with super heroes in mind, so running much more loose with physics and stuff. Ralph breaking from the BBEG's hold at the end was totally a hero point, by the way.

Madfellow
2012-11-11, 10:34 AM
You could try BESM. It was made as an anime RPG, so it's got cartoon physics basically built in, and it was made to cover a vast array of genres (fantasy, sci-fi, noir, etc.) so it has a vast array of magic spells and character powers your players could choose from. It's a point buy system, so there are no class restrictions. The one issue is that I've heard some powers and abilities might be a bit unbalanced.

TheCountAlucard
2012-11-11, 10:36 AM
Dark Fiddler: Spoilers, darn it! :smallannoyed:

The Dark Fiddler
2012-11-11, 11:36 AM
{Scrubbed}

Vauron
2012-11-11, 11:48 AM
Well, the fact that there is a villain could maybe considered a spoiler. It generally felt like the movie was more 'Ralph vs an uncaring world' and than SUDDENLY [REDACTED].

Arranis Thelmos
2012-11-11, 06:57 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Well isn't that just turbotastic. :smallwink:

Glimbur
2012-11-11, 07:53 PM
I would caution against GURPS (though I haven't seen the movie), because I suspect that WIR runs on "cartoon physics",

Cartoon Physics? There is a system called Toon, though I must admit I have not played it or reviewed the rules very closely.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-11-12, 01:42 AM
Risus would do admirably

Seconded. This kind of setting is directly tied to tropes, archetypes, and iconic characters. Risus would be perfect.

Arbane
2012-11-12, 02:05 AM
Cartoon Physics? There is a system called Toon, though I must admit I have not played it or reviewed the rules very closely.

Toon's fun, but it's intended for Looney-Toons style comedy above all else.

As was mentioned earlier, RISUS would be a good game to do this rules-lite. Mutants and Masterminds could be good rules-heavy. (I've already seen writeups of Ralph, Felix, and Calhoun in M&M over on the Atomic Think Tank forums.)

Man on Fire
2012-11-12, 07:09 AM
Savage Worlds could work.

Gamgee
2012-11-13, 02:44 AM
These suggestions have been Turbo-Tastic! Bro fists (http://i.imgur.com/Zog8e.gif) for all! Aww come on pal, you son of a gun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwkO8hwSeo). You know you want to bro fist.

I'll look over all of these suggestions. In particular Risus and Mutants and Masterminds. Everyone have some candy! (http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/blogs-prod-photos/6/f/9/1/a/6f91ad43e5a8731eaba43e64abb789e2.jpg?stmp=13200938 10)

Edit
Risus is both 9 pages and free. It is the winner! Collect the winners pot (http://passid.ca/profiles/group/427/profile_normal.png) of coins Risus suggesters.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-13, 03:13 AM
Toon's fun, but it's intended for Looney-Toons style comedy above all else.

As was mentioned earlier, RISUS would be a good game to do this rules-lite. Mutants and Masterminds could be good rules-heavy. (I've already seen writeups of Ralph, Felix, and Calhoun in M&M over on the Atomic Think Tank forums.)

Toon is a very old school game, with a very old school feel. It's not a simple game at all.

Drascin
2012-11-13, 03:34 AM
Yeah, the moment I saw the title I thougt "Mutants&Masterminds". It's great to make any kind of characters that benefits from "cinematicness", ie, dudes who don't die very easy and do pretty amazing stuff. Which covers most videogame protags.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-11-13, 10:26 PM
It generally felt like the movie was more 'Ralph vs an uncaring world' and then SUDDENLY [REDACTED].

On the movie. I was more disappointed with the insects than [REDACTED] because at least [REDACTED] was foreshadowed, whereas the insects were there, then off-screen for a good part of the film.

As far as system goes there are a bunch that try and do Anime that you could look at. I suggest GURPS, just because the amount of different character types might not fit well into any one system.

GURPS seems to do multiple systems pretty well.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-11-13, 10:29 PM
Risus is both 9 pages and free. It is the winner! Collect the winners pot (http://passid.ca/profiles/group/427/profile_normal.png) of coins Risus suggesters.

If there's a system that can do this kind of thing better than Risus, I'd like to see it.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-13, 11:18 PM
If there's a system that can do this kind of thing better than Risus, I'd like to see it.

3D&T (http://www.jamboeditora.com.br/produtos/3d&t.htm) does it better.

Gamgee
2012-11-14, 12:39 AM
3D&T (http://www.jamboeditora.com.br/produtos/3d&t.htm) does it better.
Alas I can't speak that language.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-14, 02:03 AM
Alas I can't speak that language.

Let's hope Thomar does :smallsmile:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-11-14, 02:55 AM
Let's hope Thomar does :smallsmile:

Well, I have been wanting to learn Portuguese. I can understand it well enough with a dictionary on hand, so I'll take a closer look at it later. What I've read so far looks to be very professionally done. So far I find it odd that magic and health use the same stat.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-14, 03:34 AM
Well, I have been wanting to learn Portuguese. I can understand it well enough with a dictionary on hand, so I'll take a closer look at it later. What I've read so far looks to be very professionally done. So far I find it odd that magic and health use the same stat.
It used to be the number 1 system in Brazil, nowadays I think it's only behind D&D and M&M.
I kinda worked on that :smallredface:
Tiro Múltiplo, Separação, Poder Oculto, Fraturas/Amputações, that was all me :smallsmile:

Gamgee
2012-11-14, 04:47 PM
It used to be the number 1 system in Brazil, nowadays I think it's only behind D&D and M&M.
I kinda worked on that :smallredface:
Tiro Múltiplo, Separação, Poder Oculto, Fraturas/Amputações, that was all me :smallsmile:

Sweet. Maybe I'll read through it with a dictionary too. Some of the words seems quite familiar to me.