PDA

View Full Version : Fusing two creatures.

Cranthis
2012-11-11, 06:53 AM
Is there any spell, power, etc etc to fuse two creatures together? I know this is silly, and entirely unnecessary, but I like the idea. I have done some research on it, and couldn't really find anything.

Rubik
2012-11-11, 06:58 AM
Is there any spell, power, etc etc to fuse two creatures together? I know this is silly, and entirely unnecessary, but I like the idea. I have done some research on it, and couldn't really find anything.Yep. (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm)

It gestalts the two of you together, except certain things (such as hp) stack.

If you want to gestalt with someone who isn't alive, Polymorph Any Object will do it.

If you want to make it permanent, try Astral Seed (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) and commit suicide. You'll come back exactly as you were when you manifested it.

Cranthis
2012-11-11, 07:04 AM
Yep. (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm)

If you want to gestalt with someone who isn't alive, Polymorph Any Object will do it.

If you want to make it permanent, try Astral Seed (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) and commit suicide. You'll come back exactly as you were when you manifested it.

Ooooo. Thank you. I don't see how PAO would do that, but that power is nice.

Rubik
2012-11-11, 07:06 AM
Ooooo. Thank you. I don't see how PAO would do that, but that power is nice.Polymorph Any Object can turn nonliving things (such as rocks or undead) into living things (such as not-rocks or not-undead). Thus, the lich can PAO itself if it wants so it becomes a living creature. Of course, the target line of Fusion doesn't require the target to be alive, but it has no effect if it's not.

Cranthis
2012-11-11, 07:12 AM
Polymorph Any Object can turn nonliving things (such as rocks or undead) into living things (such as not-rocks or not-undead). Thus, the lich can PAO itself if it wants so it becomes a living creature. Of course, the target line of Fusion doesn't require the target to be alive, but it has no effect if it's not.

Ah, ok. I thought you meant something like "Woops, my friend died, better fuse with him"

Rubik
2012-11-11, 07:32 AM
Ah, ok. I thought you meant something like "Woops, my friend died, better fuse with him"Well, you can Polymorph his dead body into a living version, I guess.

Cranthis
2012-11-11, 07:36 AM
Well, you can Polymorph his dead body into a living version, I guess.

True. Very true.

HunterOfJello
2012-11-11, 01:44 PM
There's also the Symbiote template from Savage Species that combines a larger creature with a smaller one and gives them physical and mental stats accordingly. I've never isolated a cool combination for it, but it looks like it could be used to great effect.

herrhauptmann
2012-11-11, 03:37 PM
Yep. (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fusion.htm)

1)The line in fusion about the dead manifester splitting back into component parts sounds like the trick might not work that well.

2)If the fusion/astral seed works, will the other persons personality still be there hoping to take back control?

3)Fusion lists size restrictions, but not type. Could you use expansion or something, then fuse with giants or dragons if you wanted?

4)If you kill yourself and use the seed to come back, would it be possible for someone to use True Resurrect on the guy you had just fused with? Bringing both of you back, (and ready for another fusion).
If so, seems like the best way to get triple 9s.
--Fuse with wizard. Astral seed, and kill self.
--Recreate your fused body while cleric true rezzes the wizard.
--Wizard crafts a contingency to bring the cleric back to life.
--Fuse with cleric, Astral seed, and kill self.
--Recreate fused body again, while contingency brings cleric back from the dead.
--Fuse with barbarian, fighter, and rogue. Astral seed. Kill self.
--Recreate fused body. Cleric sees no need to true rez barbarian, fighter or rogue.

Rubik
2012-11-11, 06:59 PM
1)The line in fusion about the dead manifester splitting back into component parts sounds like the trick might not work that well.Note that "nonliving" does not (necessarily) mean "dead." Undead and constructs (other than warforged and a select few others) are also nonliving. So if you Fusion with a Polymorphed lich and dispel the Polymorph, the other Fusion participant is not dead unless its hp go to 0 or below for some reason.

2)If the fusion/astral seed works, will the other persons personality still be there hoping to take back control?Perhaps. Just don't give control back to them. However, if you are killed after Fusion ends, you still come back gestalted with the Fusioned creature's body (although the actual creature still exists elsewhere, barring circumstances).

3)Fusion lists size restrictions, but not type. Could you use expansion or something, then fuse with giants or dragons if you wanted?Yes. Your size increases, and thus you can Fusion with larger creatures.

4)If you kill yourself and use the seed to come back, would it be possible for someone to use True Resurrect on the guy you had just fused with? Bringing both of you back, (and ready for another fusion). Not 100% sure. However, you can dismiss Fusion or wait for it to end before dying. You still trigger the clause in Astral Seed about coming back identical to the way you were when you manifested Astral Seed.

I'm fairly sure that if you die while Fusioned, you trigger the death clause in Fusion (ie, you separate) before Astral Seed is triggered, but you also trigger Astral Seed and come back identical to your Fusioned self (while the body of your Fusion partner is simultaneously separated from your old body).

If so, seems like the best way to get triple 9s.
--Fuse with wizard. Astral seed, and kill self.
--Recreate your fused body while cleric true rezzes the wizard.
--Wizard crafts a contingency to bring the cleric back to life.
--Fuse with cleric, Astral seed, and kill self.
--Recreate fused body again, while contingency brings cleric back from the dead.
--Fuse with barbarian, fighter, and rogue. Astral seed. Kill self.
--Recreate fused body. Cleric sees no need to true rez barbarian, fighter or rogue.Or just dismiss Fusion before you die.

Iamyourking
2012-11-11, 08:15 PM
It's third party and for 3.0, but the Encyclopedia Arcane: Crossbreeding as rules for creating your own versions of stuff like the Owlbear and Bunnyduck if you want to take a different approach to fusing them. Examples include a Barbazu/Nightmare, Behir/Hydra, Roper/Treant, Orc/Wolverine, Stirge/Pixie, Purple Worm/Thoqqua, Lizardfolk/Svifneblin, Elasmosaurus/Storm Giant, Mind Flayer/Naga, Dire Bat/Shark, and Giant Wasp/Giant Scorpion. You are probably obligated to use one of Dragonflies, Gorillas, Kangaroos, and Moose in some way for any hybrid that's just animal/animal.

Coidzor
2012-11-11, 11:56 PM
Eldan was doing a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216912)about this sort of thing a while back. Might have some useful thoughts about homebrewing practices.

BCOVertigo
2012-11-12, 01:00 AM
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18700000/invaderz-zim-invader-zim-18709554-300-220.jpg

...I'm sorry, I'll go now. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2012-11-12, 02:56 AM
Take ranks in dance. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FusionDance):smallwink::smalltongue:

Seriously though, there is a chimeric template in one of the MM that does combine two creatures.

Clistenes
2012-11-13, 05:15 PM
Duhlark's Animerge is a 6th level arcane spell that allows a wizard to fuse two animals, magical beasts or vermin into an amalgam, a Duhlarkin Creature, that retains the special attacks and qualities of both creatures, an average of their physical abilities and the higher mental abilities of the two.

If the creatures you want to fuse aren't both animals, magical beasts or vermin you can use Baleful Polymorph or Polymorph Any Object.

Duhlark's Animerge and the Duhlarkin Template can be found in the Bestiary of the Realms, vol 1 (3.0, but it has an upgrade to 3.5, I think).

There is also the Tauric Template from Savage Species that allows to fuse an Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid with an Animal or Magical Beast. The book proposes to use a carefully worded Wish spell to gain templates like those.

And of course there is Magic Jar, to put the mind of a wizard or sorcerer into the massive body you have created using the previously mentioned methods.

icefractal
2023-08-03, 04:10 AM
If you're including 3PP content, then the Fusion talent from Spheres of Power does this as well, and can be permanent (better actually, instantaneous) with the Permanent Transformation talent.

Fusion-laundering with Astral Seed is two questions:
1) Can Astral Seed maintain the effects of buffs while stripping their duration? If it can, then this obviously works for Fusion as well as anything else. But it's also a very broken interpretation - IMO, if you Astral Seed while Metamorphosised into a dragon, with five minutes duration remaining, then you come back as a dragon ... for five minutes, because "exactly as you were" includes the duration too. Anyway, this is Persistent Spell on steroids, so excessive for most tables.

2) If the answer to #1 is no, then is Fusion a special case, due to the fact that it's not you who manifested Astral Seed, it's the fused being? There's a stronger case for this than for #1, and I'd personally say it works. However, if we're saying "the fused being is a separate being", then it isn't "you" for the purpose of being your PC either. I mean, it's still someone with your goals and memories, so IC this can still be a useful and powerful thing to do. It's just not "your PC" IMO, any more than if you captured and brainwashed a powerful dragon until it shared your goals and took on your identity.

Prime32
2023-08-03, 10:26 AM
Ultra-cheesy option:

Repeatedly cast baleful polymorph until you've transformed 300 sorcerers into 1 HD animals or vermin (of the same species)
Use the Dark SpeechBoVD feat to link them together into a hive mind with sorcerer casting
Kill the entire swarm at once with an AoE death effect while all its spell slots are unexpended
Bury the swarm and perform the ritual for creating a Worm that WalksELH over its grave
Polymorph the Worm that Walks into a humanoid
Have a vampire drain the humanoid's blood until it dies and rises as a vampire
Kill the original vampire
Have the newly-freed vampire take 3 levels in Emancipated SpawnSav

You have now created a god.

loky1109
2023-08-03, 10:51 AM
Ultra-cheesy option:

Repeatedly cast baleful polymorph until you've transformed 300 sorcerers into 1 HD animals or vermin (of the same species)
Use the Dark SpeechBoVD feat to link them together into a hive mind with sorcerer casting
Kill the entire swarm at once with an AoE death effect while all its spell slots are unexpended
Bury the swarm and perform the ritual for creating a Worm that WalksELH over its grave
Polymorph the Worm that Walks into a humanoid
Have a vampire drain the humanoid's blood until it dies and rises as a vampire
Kill the original vampire
Have the newly-freed vampire take 3 levels in Emancipated SpawnSav

You have now created a god.

Didn't understand.

Peelee
2023-08-03, 11:04 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Closed for Thread Necromancy.