PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Eberron in PF

Tzevash
2012-11-11, 08:31 AM
Hello gang, got a quick and simple question here: which is the best way to "translate" dragon mark feats and the artificer class in the Pathfinder system?

I'm asking 'cause PF is SO much better (imho) than 3.5, but I want to stick with one of my favourite D&D settings ever (along with Planescape).

Thank you in advance, folks. :smallredface:

Alleran
2012-11-11, 08:33 AM
You should be able to just shift Dragonmark feats straight over without any trouble, AFAIK.

I'm not sure about the Artificer. While you could certainly add it and not bother changing it (beyond shifting the skills to line up with the PF skill list and costs), it won't have any of the archetypes that most Pathfinder classes have, among other things. Of course, it's already a T1 class, so the lack of archetypes won't really hurt it all that much.

Tzevash
2012-11-11, 08:39 AM
Hmm, I was thinking that these dragonmark feats may need a re-balancement to better fit in PF ruleset.

About the Artificer: the crafting system got a MASSIVE overhaul in Pathfinder, so the "crafting points pool" would be nonsense. So: it would need a BIG fix. Moreover, as a 3.5 class, it still has some "empty levels" that shouldn't longer exist in PF, and I honestly don't know what to throw in without making mistakes.

GoatBoy
2012-11-11, 09:03 AM
I've been running a PF game set in Eberron for a couple of years now. There haven't been any major issues, though my players aren't hardcore optimizers.

Dragonmark feats are relatively weak compared to PF feats, but they weren't that powerful compared to many of the available 3.5 feats either. Feats aren't in quite as short a supply in PF as in 3.5, though. If you want to make dragonmarks more mechanically viable, perhaps combine the feat with Favored in House?

The artificer is already a powerful class, but it does suffer if you're restricting its access to spells to PF only. There are very few PF damage spells which bypass spell resistance, and they are always weaker than SR-checking spells of equal level, compared to 3.5, so a Blastificer will face some frustration there.

Craft reserve is automatically useless in Pathfinder by default, but many artificers make liberal use of spell-storing infusion, one of their signature abilities. This infusion is supposed to be mitigated for its sheer versatility by the XP cost, but PF has completely eliminated XP costs for spells. My solution was to just draw XP for the infusion from the crafting reserve, and have that be the reserve's only function. There haven't been any issues so far, though it's only been about 6 or 7 sessions for the newly-joined artificer, at level 9.

There are a few homebrew Pathfinder artificer conversions out there, if you'd care to look. Just stay away from the 3rd party Pathfinder artificer class, as it is poorly designed.

vhfforever
2012-11-11, 11:47 AM
Couldn't you just keep the Artificer's Craft Pool * X as free cost toward creating items? While doing the normal *5 might be a little too generous, I think some free cost toward enchanting for the group would be fairly decent.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-11, 10:08 PM
Prime32 has an ongoing conversion (http://pf-eberron.wikidot.com/).

Psyren
2012-11-12, 12:07 AM
Prime32 has an ongoing conversion (http://pf-eberron.wikidot.com/).

Did he convert the Artificer though? I'm not seeing it. Understandable if not, that class is really hard to get into PF, but I'm curious to see what other folks have come up with.

Tzevash
2012-11-12, 05:33 AM
Thanks for all the answers.

What if I change the crafting pool as suggested by vhfforever and throw in some bonus talents? For what concerns the spells/infusions, what list should I take?