PDA

View Full Version : PPPC: Pathfinder Paladin Prestige Classes

SladeVanguard
2012-11-11, 02:35 PM
I'm playing a level 10 Aasimar Paladin in Pathfinder. I've gained enough experience in the campagin we're in to reach level 11. Thing is I'm wanting to take a good Prestige class to give the character more flavor and to make him stand out in the world as not just another Paladin. I've optimized the character to annihilate with SMITE EVIL (thanks to that delicious oath of vengeance).

So basically what I'm asking is what kind of PrC would be good for a Paladin? I enjoyed playing the knight of the chalice back in DnD 3.5 but the DM and I feel that taking that class on (even after a solid adaptation and conversion) would only hinder his progression.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

grarrrg
2012-11-11, 11:16 PM
I'm playing a level 10 Aasimar Paladin in Pathfinder. I've gained enough experience in the campagin we're in to reach level 11. Thing is I'm wanting to take a good Prestige class to give the character more flavor and to make him stand out in the world as not just another Paladin. I've optimized the character to annihilate with SMITE EVIL (thanks to that delicious oath of vengeance).

Any suggestions would be awesome.
Going over some of the Paladin-ish Flavored PrCs.
Most of them are "meh", but I am saving the best for last.

Champion of Irori, Paladin/Monk hyrid, VERY solid for what it is, allows you to Smite Evil OR Chaos, and stacks for Uses/Power. Stacks with most Paladin and Monk features (no casting though). Even grants a "Cleave+Smite" type ability at 3rd.
Downside: You need 3 levels of Monk to get in, and it's a little on the MAD side of things, as you would expect. Also must worship Irori. It is a GREAT class for what it is, but what it is is a Paladin/Monk hybrid.

Knight of Ozem, very Anti-Undead focused. Does not stack for any Paladin abilities. Must worship Iomedae. If you fight a lot of Undead, give it a look, if not, NEXT!!

Inheritor's Crusader, stacks for Smite-power, but not uses, full casting advancement, boosts Aura of Courage, and can grant allies extra Saves vs. stuff with your Channeling/Lay on Hands.
Only 3 levels, does not stack for USES of Smite or Lay on Hands, although it does feature casting...Skip it.

Hellknight, Paladins have a lot of Anti-Evil abilities. Hellknights are the Law/Chaos version of a Paladin, LOTS of Anti-Chaos abilities > Aura of Law, Detect Chaos, Smite Chaos, etc...
Flavor is a doable for a Paladin, but a little tricky. Does not stack with Paladin for anything. Also must wear Hellknight Armor for some of the abilities, although Hellknight Armor is decent enough (basically Full Plate), ESPECIALLY with the added bonuses from the class.

Holy Vindicator, this is basically the 3.5 Prestige-Class-Paladin, more intended for Cleric with a Martial bent. As a Paladin, SKIP IT!.

Gray Gardener (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/gray-gardener), if Holy Vindicator is a Paladin-PrC, then this is an Inquisitor PrC, with some Sneak Attack thrown on for fun.
7/10 Casting, and only 3/4 Bab, but this can be semi-offset with the Judgments, speaking of which, you only have the more "offensive" Judgments, but these are enough, you also get Double Judgement at level 4.
Also grants the Bane ability at an accelerated rate.
So while it doesn't stack for Smite, you get Judgment and Bane uses to make up for it, and Judgment/Bane doesn't care if the creature is Evil, giving you extra flexibility.

My vote is Gray Gardener, or more Paladin (unless you're doing the Undead-fighting thing, then the Knight of Ozem).