PDA

View Full Version : Problem player thread #1000

Zerter
2012-11-11, 03:15 PM
I'm in a group with mostly players I've known pretty much my entire life. Not that we've been close friends, but we've always traveled in the same circles. The group as it is is in its third year now, and the last year one of those players has been a problem player. I am here to vent :smallwink:. He shall hereafter be reffered to as Bart.

Conflict has been in this group from the beginning. We kicked our first two problem players a few months in, giving me the honorary distinction of getting a post in every 'bad DM' thread on this website by one of them since. Bart was a reasonable player in the beginning however. The kind of player that mostly keeps to himself during play, optimizes using a googled guide, does not excell in any one area of D&D but does not fall short either, and is generally on time and contributes royally in terms of gaming materials and snacks.

About a year in he started to change. He started to get bored and / or annoyed. Why? Several possible reasons:

- Bart played optimized builds from day one, maybe he wanted to be powerful for once. But following the guides never really got him anywhere. Three of the other players were better at this aspect of D&D, making builds that make use of all available options specific to the party and the DM as opposed to the constraints of a guide which is limited to a sort of general 'This should be allowed in most settings, good in average parties facing average encounters.'

- Bart felt he was more pure than the others. In his eyes he followed alignments the way they were meant, were others constantly argued why their lawful good characters were allowed to break the law to serve the greater good (or really their own interest), he simply followed it. Bart used official material only and never went 3rd party or homebrew. The others did when allowed, because they obviously wanted to break the game!

- Bart's characters never really went anywhere. He tried a few times, but none of them developed into much in the setting. Their personalities never evolved, they never left a mark of any kind. They died more than he liked. At some point all of this started to be the fault of other people. Everyone was allowed to get away with stuff while he followed the rules as a sucker.

A little more than a year in a new player was added, a intelligent, socially pleasant person. Also the kind of person that is vulnerable to being influenced by others. Bart decided to seize his chance and use the new player as a proxxy for his own frustrations.

When the new player was DMing and did exciting things for players other than Bart, Bart put him down and told him the specific encounter was way too easy, the diplomat convinced without any really effort or the Paladin PC was really breaking his code from day one. When the new player was playing Bart tried to create conflict between him and other players 'He's stealing your loot, he always does that!'', put him down "Don't make a big deal about it, it made perfect IC sense for my character to threaten your character's life if you did not follow my way!" and generally made the atmosphere bad.

Eventually the new player grew, developed bigger balls, made many lasting contributions to the setting and departed to another city leaving a gap.

Bart grew more unhinged as time went on. Examples!

As DM a player found a way to defeat a demilich pet NPC in PF by putting him in a AMF. First came the rules debate ("I am 99% sure he can still fly"). That was followed by screwing the player over: the AMF was activated and created a hole in the floor that was suddenly kept solid by magic and ended in a pool of lava, killing him. ("Haha, I googled that!").

As a PC Bart knowingly sabotaged an entire campaign that was about building a camp. A campaign with as requirement Good-aligned characters. He burned a farm build by another PC, freed a saboteur, randomly killed various NPCs. Finally another PC stepped in and ensured he was brought to trial, that same PC offered him the chance to redeem himself. Bart felt screwed over for even being captured and instead suicided in a way that he hoped would bring the other PCs with him.

Enter the next campaign: the players meet beforehand and agree that this time they are really going to work together, and will really be playing good-aligned characters. The campaign ends with Bart playing a death knight intent on killing every living creature and spreading a plague turning everyone into undead.

Also in general a lot of blatant meta-gaming.

Last week we recruited a new guy. I send out a email asking everyone to play nice so we have a positive atmosphere for the new guy (but I really meant, 'Bart play nice'). I am DMing. Among the things Bart did in the session was telling the new guy that the only way to play was evil, demonstrating this belief by attacking and coming awfully close to killing him on their first meeting. Annoyed by Bart, another PC finishes off the dying animal companion of Bart. Bart does not know this IC, proceeds to attack the PC anyway only to be corrected OOC.

The remainder of Bart's actions consist off him going into the woods, randomly searching for a new animal companion, engaging every encounter and pushing for the death of his PC since he is now bored with it. Just short off cheering the monsters on to deliver the killing blow. His character is eventually taken captured by a bunch of goblins, leading to someone to suggest to 'End on this cliffhanger."

Anyway, enough is enough. Other players and me at several points tried to reason this out in a civilized way to no avail. I just send him a more definitive email saying it's really time to cut the crap and stop getting his enjoyment from frustrating the rest, before the new player gets corrupted. I am venting here because I tried not to do it in the email and keep that contained, but really it's been building up.

PS: He also bragged last session about how awesome it was that his death knight spread the plague as mentioned earlier as if it was some major accomplishment that we decided to spare ourselves the drama and not go out of the way to kill his character, instead ending the campaign. I mention this because for me personally that was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-11, 04:20 PM
It's time for the boot.

You've tried the reasonable course of talking it out. You and the other players have been the bigger person in not seeking petty revenge for the most part, and when you did it only seems to have made things worse.

Having exhausted the alternatives it's time for the "Cut the crap or don't bother coming to the next session" ultimatum. Maybe don't even bother with the ultimatum and just tell him that though you'd still like to be friends (if that's true) he's not welcome at the D&D table any more.

Kane0
2012-11-11, 04:32 PM
Mate, kudos for putting up with that for this long.

Kelb's right, he doesn't sound like he's contributing anything to the group anymore and you have been very reasonable so cutting him loose seems appropriate.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-11, 04:33 PM
DTMFA!10char

DarkestKnight
2012-11-11, 04:35 PM
It sounds like you've had a couple OOC chats. Have you asked him why he has taken the path he has? If he is messing with plans because he doesn't feel like he is getting what he wants out of the campaign or because he feels that he can get away with anything then that needs to be said out loud. Having an honest one on one discussion with him to get any issues out in the open is the likely the best course. You could also remind him that D&D is a cooperative game. the players need to work with not only each other but the GM, and he isn't doing that. At the end of the day I agree with Kelb, though maybe you could talk about playing an intrigue and politics style campaign where his antics might be more suitable.

Water_Bear
2012-11-11, 05:03 PM
DTMFA!10char

Hahahaha, man this is the last place I thought I'd see that acronym. Awesome.

But yeah, the OP already knows what the correct answer is here, no need to beat the dead animal companion any further. The only real advice I can give is that this probably* could have been averted a lot earlier; it seems like Bart was a solid, if hide-bound, player who felt frustrated because he couldn't make an impact on the world while the other less rules-compliant Players were. Frustrated Players tend to become disruptive Players, as he did, if no-one makes an effort to get them engaged in the game.

I'd be interested to know why his characters kept failing. Was it failure to understand houserules? Lack of creative thinking or poor RP? That his "by-the-books" optimized characters were weaker than the PCs who used 3rd party content? Bad luck?

*Based entirely on my imperfect interpretation of what the OP wrote.

kemmotar
2012-11-11, 07:10 PM
From what I gather he does not appear to be enjoying the experience either and given that you said he was initially a reasonable player perhaps he's just getting frustrated with his inability to make a significant impact on the game. The DM giving him freebies such as fudging rolls in his favour would probably not work making him conceited.

A few options you might consider depending on his character:

1) Help him out pre game with his build or backstory, perhaps handwaving a few rules to let him play something more interesting. I once helped a player of mine, who was kind of drifting away from the group because he was getting bored, make an awakened rabbit artificer who put all his money into a golem with an extradimensional space for some mecha style action shooting scorching rays out of its eyes and magic missiles from its fingers. He really enjoyed that game and we had many more fun games.

2) run an all evil PvP allowed and even encouraged kill everyone with fire etc. Either you will have a fun game or he will get extremely frustrated and quit by himself while your other players have fun in a game where they can take out their frustration without really annoying anyone. An advantage of this type of game is that depending on what happens the game might not last long enough because half the party is already dead due to pvp.

3) If you have that kind of relationship with him you might want to consider that something is affecting him outside the game which has caused his shift in behaviour. Perhaps just asking him if something else is wrong.

If none of it works and you don't feel like having the this is not working any more speech, just stop calling him when you arrange a game.

Killer Angel
2012-11-12, 04:35 AM
But yeah, the OP already knows what the correct answer is here, no need to beat the dead animal companion any further. The only real advice I can give is that this probably* could have been averted a lot earlier; it seems like Bart was a solid, if hide-bound, player who felt frustrated because he couldn't make an impact on the world while the other less rules-compliant Players were. Frustrated Players tend to become disruptive Players, as he did, if no-one makes an effort to get them engaged in the game.

Pretty much this.
Sadly, now you've reached the point of no-return, and the available options are... one.
But this situation could probably have been handled differently, when the first problems arised:

About a year in he started to change. He started to get bored and / or annoyed. Why? Several possible reasons:

- Bart played optimized builds from day one, maybe he wanted to be powerful for once. But following the guides never really got him anywhere.

- Bart felt he was more pure than the others. In his eyes he followed alignments the way they were meant, were others constantly argued why their lawful good characters were allowed to break the law to serve the greater good (or really their own interest), he simply followed it. Bart used official material only and never went 3rd party or homebrew. The others did when allowed, because they obviously wanted to break the game!

Did you help him to go beyond the guide? you and the other players got a better understanding of the game system.
A "free power for all" can be fun, but it didn't suit this player's liking... no wonder he grow bored: did you try to play something different, talking all together to reach a general consensus, setting the bar a little lower?
How the DM saw those "alignment problems"?

That said, problem player got no excuses for its actual behavior.

Zerter
2012-11-12, 11:27 AM
We have entered the communication phase, apparantly the urgency came through. This is pretty exciting for me because in my experience these type of things usually turn out pretty bad pretty quickly. : D.

I have to say as well, having written this as a way to vent, I'm far from a perfect player myself and if you wrote something like this about me it'd be pretty painful. Bart has good sides as well, a lot of this is frustration that build up over time, hopefully this can be worked out.

Anxe
2012-11-12, 08:28 PM
To help it get worked out you might want to close this thread then. If he sees your post here he could get upset.