PDA

View Full Version : Time's up

Moonwolf727
2012-11-11, 05:19 PM
I don't know how many of you will agree with me but I am very disappointed by the lack of time-based power's, classes, items, spells and psionics.

It is ridiculously hard to make a character whose main theme is time manipulation without making them really arbitrary or plain over-powered.
So in the spirit of expanding this niche I would appreciate it if everybody could contribute as many feats, powers, spells, classes, items and psionics to this list as possible.

And I don't just mean compiling existing stuff (although that would be useful) feel free to homebrew new magic items and spells and classes ect ect ect.
:smallbiggrin:

Gerrtt
2012-11-11, 05:32 PM
You mean you want more than to be able to speed up you and your allies, slow down your enemies, or stop time all together? What else do you feel like you should be able to do with time?

Time Travel? You have any idea how much of a pain that would be to DM for? I mean, granted, I've done the time travel game before, but I was in control of when they went in time and consequences were limited.

In all seriousness though, what else do you want to be able to do with time?

Aegis013
2012-11-11, 05:39 PM
Time Travel? You have any idea how much of a pain that would be to DM for? I mean, granted, I've done the time travel game before, but I was in control of when they went in time and consequences were limited.

There are also mechanics that do this kind of thing to a limited degree. Time Hop and Time Regression psionic powers for instance.

Water_Bear
2012-11-11, 05:42 PM
If you want it, there's a lot of Time related Psionics as well as stuff related to planes like being a Planar Shepard of Dal Quor or using Genesis to make Variable Time demiplanes. The reason I'm glad there isn't more of it is that it is all cheese of the highest caliber, and plays hell with settings and campaigns if it's allowed.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-11, 05:45 PM
Time travel = horrible bad things.

*curls up into the fetal position and begins muttering "I'm my own grandpa" "I go back to change history, but then history doesn't need to change so I don't go back, but then history does need to be changed......" "Time travel bad. Time travel bad"*

eggs
2012-11-11, 05:49 PM
I've bumped into this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166492) a bunch.

Plus psionics has some fun stuff: Time Stop is infinitely enjoyable and Hyperconscious's Chronorebel is pretty neat.

EDIT: And a couple local (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166492) homebrews (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93531).

toapat
2012-11-11, 05:50 PM
Time Travel really needs a dedicated and robust system for specifically performing timetravel. DnD doesnt have this.

about the only thing not really in 3.5 in terms of time magic is Micro time Dilation: You cant do things like speed the time up of a target's limbs/body parts. For instance, accellerating the target's heart to 8 times speed, but the rest of them isnt.

Hyde
2012-11-11, 05:57 PM
a lot of spells could just be re-fluffed to be time-related, like blink (though it would remove a lot of the drawbacks of the spell, if you were to apply logic to it). Reroll spells become rewind buttons, a third thing on this list, etc.

Anderlith
2012-11-11, 06:06 PM
Are you mixing in teleports, travel, & movement spells? Cause it's all relative. Anything will spacial manipulation is of the same vein as temporal manipulation.

Gerrtt
2012-11-11, 06:09 PM
And Meteor, cause, you know.

dascarletm
2012-11-11, 06:56 PM
Yeah the luck feats could be refluffed easy.

From PHB Spells that perform as time manipulation on Sorc/Wiz
Lvl 1:
Summon Monster?(creature from another time period?)
True Strike (saw the future to hit true)
Erase
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall?
Lvl2:
Locate Object?
Blur
lvl 3:
Displacement
Hold Person
Gentle Repose
Halt Undead
Blink (as said
Haste
Slow

I could go on, but lost the drive :/

Creation spells.

Venusaur
2012-11-11, 08:08 PM
You can use Teleport through Time from here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)

vhfforever
2012-11-11, 08:54 PM
How did the Save Game Trick evade mention up to this point?

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1187.0

Slipperychicken
2012-11-11, 11:57 PM
The Celerity line of spells (Lesser, vanilla, Greater) are fluffed at stealing time from the future to use now. Naturally, they're OP on top of a fullcaster.

Mirror image could be fluffed as you moving so fast (or distorting light signals) you appear in 9 different places at once.

Maybe you can "conjure" things by summoning them from an inconsequential place in the future... but they shortly disappear and return to their proper place/time (unharmed because of a time paradox or magic or something). You can also summon creatures from beyond the time-stream, as Summon Monster.

Obviously, the extremely minor time-manipulation which should be allowed could allow you to slow time to attack better/faster (bonuses to hit and damage), to dodge attacks easier (+AC), or even make you blur in and out of the timestream (miss chance like Blink or something).

"Time rewind" exactly enough to reroll an attack roll or something. The strongest ability might let you re-do one of your turns.

Traveling through time really shouldn't be in the game, for the reasons Kelb mentioned. I suggest limiting it to slowing, speeding, and combat buffs. Maybe rewind a turn, a few times per day, as a high-level ability.

TuggyNE
2012-11-12, 01:51 AM
At this point, I have to ask: given that the examples so far are mostly refluffing, what exactly do you want a time-based character to do that cannot be accomplished by refluffing, or the existing powers and spells?

dungeonnerd
2012-11-12, 02:00 AM
There's a spell in the Epic Level Handbook that brings an exact copy of you from two rounds in the future, then you both get full actions next round, then you both disappear for one round, then you come back, sans spells cast.

I've used this, plus time-stop, Reality Maelstrom and Gate to instantly field an extremely large army while also demoloshing opposing forces. It's a nifty way to make short work of what the DM thinks is impossible odds to face.

BTB
2012-11-12, 02:12 AM
3rd-Party and Pathfinder, but relevant: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/super-genius-games/time-thief