PDA

View Full Version : Feat question

DarthSpader
2012-11-11, 05:41 PM
Is there a feat in pathfinder that allows a monk to use a shield and still retain their monk abilities?

Trying to stick to core or SRD only. Other sources possibly allowed depending. Thanks.

Alaris
2012-11-13, 03:44 PM
Is there a feat in pathfinder that allows a monk to use a shield and still retain their monk abilities?

Trying to stick to core or SRD only. Other sources possibly allowed depending. Thanks.

I am 90% certain that there is nothing that allows this. I play 3.5 primarily, but I've played a pathfinder game or two, and didn't find anything.

I'm 100% certain you won't find anything in core for it. And about 95% in regards to the SRD.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-11-13, 03:50 PM
This is a major balance issue because of the high AC a shield can grant at higher levels. A +5 buckler is a +6 bonus to AC for one feat. All classes with shield proficiency have to sacrifice some offensive power to use a shield. A monk, thanks to the ability to make full attacks with his feet, would have no such drawback.

This sort of feat would be allowable with some drawbacks. For example...

Shield Monk
Prerequisites: Proficiency with any shield, Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: You may treat light shields, heavy shields, and any kind of spiked shields as special monk weapons. You retain all monk class abilities while wearing a shield. However, you cannot use your ki strike abilities while wearing any kind of shield, and cannot use flurry of blows with your unarmed strike while using a shield. At the start of a round you may choose to forfeit your shield bonus to AC and any attacks with your shield to use your unarmed strike normally.