PDA

View Full Version : Sundering Undead

demigodus
2012-11-11, 06:29 PM
I was building a monk for fun, and started wondering about this.

Can I use a Sunder attack against an undead? Since they are treated as objects in some places? How would the mechanics for this work out?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-11, 06:32 PM
Undead are not objects, they're creatures. You can't sunder a creature unless there's a specific allowance made (a hydra's heads, the tentacles of a giant octopus or squid, etc.).

They're immune to any ability that requires a Fort save unless it also affects objects. That's because most Fort save abilities target a creature's biological systems and undead have no functioning biology, but such effects that can affect objects can also affect creatures with no functioning biology. That doesn't mean undead are ever considered objects.

Jeraa
2012-11-11, 06:32 PM
Undead are not objects. They are creatures. Creatures (with few exceptions, like the hydra) can not be sundered.

demigodus
2012-11-11, 06:46 PM
ah, okay.

Oh well. Figured it would be amusing to have my monk sunder a lich

dascarletm
2012-11-11, 06:46 PM
Then how does one cut off his son's hand?

http://0.tqn.com/d/scifi/1/0/O/3/0/-/11078264_gal.jpg

Gerrtt
2012-11-11, 06:48 PM
Does SWd20 have sunder rules that cover that? Never played it.

dascarletm
2012-11-11, 06:58 PM
Me neither. I'd like to know how they work actually.

BShammie
2012-11-11, 07:34 PM
Does SWd20 have sunder rules that cover that? Never played it.

Me neither. I'd like to know how they work actually.

I'm not sure about SWd20, but in SAGA Edition there is a talent allows you to cut off a limb instead of killing the target, or something to that effect. I'll edit this post in a bit with better info.

EDIT: Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/131eqs/saga_edition_cutting_off_limbs) helped me find the talent. It's Severing Strike on page 218 of the Core Rulebook.
If you deal enough damage to kill your target, you can instead deal half damage and push them down the condition track. You choose whether to cut off an arm, leg, hand, or foot.