PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer Build help

Chaos018
2012-11-12, 05:23 AM
Zak-Zak (a.k.a. The Power Ranger, for the love of God, don't ask hehe)
Venerable Jungle Kobold Cloistered Cleric (domains: Deathbound, Undeath) lv5
Base-line stats: 7, 16, 16, 16, 21, 22 (with racials applied, 1pt dumped into Cha, and increased stats from feat)
Feats: Dragonwrought (ok'd for stat bonuses, NO EPIC FEATS, black dragon), Corpsecrafter, Nimble Bones, Divine Metamagic (Persistent), Extra Turning (extra for Undeath domain)
Flaws: Shaky, Murky-Eyed (flaws 1:1 for feats, 2 max)
trait: far-sighted
skills: bluff (stupid cross class skill) +10, concentrate +11, diplomacy +14, knowledge (arcana, religion, the planes) +11, spellcraft +13, spot +14 (is this cross class? dang it)

I was wondering if I did it right. I've been wanting to use this PC concept for awhile (cheese factor aside) and this DM let me. PC goal.......not tellin', my diseased mind came up with something that fit senility and dang it, I laughed for an hour, lol. I've never done a necromancer before (for personal reasons) and with my power gaming group, I just want to be effective and have fun. Give me your honest opinion. I went cloistered due to a decision I made before that I changed (Follower of Afflux now simplying following the ideas of death being a balance to life, true neutral alignment), now I keep it due to all the skills I find I will need (group has abysmal Charisma and oh yea, the quiet and unassuming guy becomes party face...real hopeful there, yep. Any helpful advice for this or am I good for awesomeness?

Morrolan
2012-11-12, 07:00 AM
As a fan (and long time player/builder) of D&D necromancers I can tell you that that is a wonderful build.
All you need now is the right items and spells.

At level five you'll probably be able to buy a deadwalker's ring, and later you will want the rod of undead mastery.

If Book of Vile Darkness is allowed, make undead with the corpse and bone creature templates, and cast the spell that turns the ripped off hand of an opponent a floating ghoul hand. (Imagine a bag of those)

Also, creatures with the skeleton template keep any magical and supernatural flight speeds, so if you for example animate a nightmare as a skeleton you will have an awesome flying mount.

I hope that helped in some way :smallsmile:

P.S. You could exchange your undeath domain for a choice of arcane spells using the alternative class feature which name I have forgotten. Because, face it, deathbound domain is the only one you really need.

Chaos018
2012-11-12, 09:09 AM
Most books are allowed, but I will have to ask for templates upon my skeleys. Between you and me, I am still fairly new to PC creation. I think carefully about what I want to do, usually not sure until I get a jist of what the class does, and find the underused, unusual stuff to take advantage. Last PC I made, last last year before I started GMing what amounted to be a dungeon crawl in another system, it was a gestalted artificer//wizard based on the X-Man Forge (with a theme in mind, I usually have some kinda plan). Nearly broke a campaign with that apparently, lol.

Don't know about that arcane spell/domain switch thingie, nor the ghoul hand spell. The flying mount, though not inmy PC plan may help when I present to my group a cruel episode of a kids show I used to watch for.....educational purposes. For all sake and purposes, I will make a mastodon skeley my mount and find a way to get profiency with a 2h axe with which to combine with a crossbow to create one merged weapon. I will call it my Power Axe (hint hint), :P. Until then, my scythe I will think to make into a crossbow as well.

Gonna have to help my rebuking bonuses as well. Seems the only thing I can control is a weeny human skeleton or a kobold zombie. Turn bonuses and attempts increased as what another's handbook told me I will need to keep up with

Darth Stabber
2012-11-12, 08:33 PM
This should be in the 3.5 board

Chaos018
2012-11-13, 01:48 AM
sorry, yes, it should be on that board, but due to rushing to get a few emergency things for my car on the day in question, I kinda rushed and placed what I could by copy/paste (prepared it before and forgot til then). apologies, my friend, :)

Morrolan
2012-11-13, 04:54 AM
You could always drop nimble bones. It is a nice feat, but you don't necessarily need it. Instead of it you could go for a turning feat.
Whatever your priorities are, right? :smallsmile:

Chaos018
2012-11-13, 11:28 AM
True, but I think I will keep what I've got. I'm in the middle of writing the backstory, written, not typed. Includes senility and a PC goal to animate certain skeleys, :). Plus gotta get equipment (which I've no idea on, since magic and/or enchanted armor and weapons are confusing to me, no idea why), which I know will include a Handy Haversack and some Aboleth Mucus (Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)). Wish I knew what the price on a Cloak of Sirine's Grace is, with my charisma, that would be a solid boon for me for sure)