PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Aasimar vs Aasimar (savage progression)

Wookie-ranger
2012-11-12, 07:43 AM
I would like to see what the playground thinks about the those two types of LA:0 Aasimar options. I know that is on the VERY high end of LA0 races, but lets ignore this for a minute, shall we.

1: Lesser Aasimar, +2cha,+2wis, humanoid, resistance 5acid/electricity/cold, daylight 1/day, LA 0

2: Aasimar (savage progression), +2cha, outsider, resistance 2acid/cold/electricity, light 1/day, LA 0.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-12, 08:21 AM
If you are going for a cha-based class it mostly comes down to having either Outsider or Humanoid typing, both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, if you on the other hand are using a Wis class (like a cleric), then lesser aasimar becomes a much better option.

rockdeworld
2012-11-12, 08:33 AM
If you are going for a cha-based class it mostly comes down to having either Outsider or Humanoid typing, both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, if you on the other hand are using a Wis class (like a cleric), then lesser aasimar becomes a much better option.
Eg. A sorcerer would want the latter because of Alter Self.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-12, 08:34 AM
I think you mean the former.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-11-12, 11:03 AM
I think you mean the former.

I believe he is taking about the latter of the two options presented in the OP.

But yes, they both have their uses. As stated already, a Cleric would much rather take the Lesser Aasimar for the Wisdom boost, while others who do not need Wisdom would prefer the Outsider typing of the Savage Progression.

Wookie-ranger
2012-11-12, 12:21 PM
it will probably be a Dread necromancer and become necropolitan. i might also add the spark template for good measure.

DN is Cha based caster and has rebuke.
but it would lose the Outsider type soon, so this is not much help (or is it?)
the Spark (magic blooded) has +2cha, -2Wis. so it might be nice to counter the wis penalty.

am i missing something?

also: it is debatable if all outsiders get proficiency with with simple and martial weapons. just saying...

Starbuck_II
2012-11-12, 12:49 PM
also: it is debatable if all outsiders get proficiency with with simple and martial weapons. just saying...

No, a debate can't be made because it is in the type section of Monster Manual...

Ousider =proficiency with with simple and martial weapons
Fact...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-12, 12:52 PM
If you are going Necropolitan and plan to have the spark template, Lesser aasimar is definitely the best option.

Spuddles
2012-11-12, 10:14 PM
Necropolitan can't be added to an aasimar. The type is all wrong.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-12, 11:50 PM
Lesser aasimar are Humanoids (planetouched) and thus legal target for necropolitan.

Talya
2012-11-13, 08:30 AM
If you are going Necropolitan and plan to have the spark template, Lesser aasimar is definitely the best option.

A.K.A. "Magic-Blooded." Turns lesser Aasimar into +4 charisma (no bonuses or penalties), along with a few other minor goodies.

Spuddles
2012-11-13, 08:43 AM
Lesser aasimar are Humanoids (planetouched) and thus legal target for necropolitan.

A lesser aasimar isn't an aasimar; it is a lesser aasimar.

ericgrau
2012-11-13, 03:24 PM
The outsider type leaves alter self and polymorph abuse open. In fact, wow, regular aasimars are pretty good once you consider how efficient outsiders are for their HD. I'm going to put self-polymorphing aasimar eldritch knight into my list of character ideas. That looks like a whole lot of fun.

So while thematically I like the outsider type better, I'm going to have to with the humanoid one for less loopholes.

Wookie-ranger
2012-11-13, 09:50 PM
Necropolitan can't be added to an aasimar. The type is all wrong.

oh, derp. didn't even notice that part.
Lesser Aasimar it is then.