PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that unreasonable?

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-12, 08:04 AM
I intend to make a level 7 Sha'ir in a campaign I'm joining. There are no (high level) NPC spellcasters in the part of the world where we are playing. The only PC spellcaster is a Blaster-Sorcerer:smallyuk:. I don't want to operate with only blast-y spells, spells known, and the occasional spells which enemies use. I suggested that I spend some of my starting gold on NPC spell casting so I could be familiar with some spells. The DM thought this was ridiculous. I don't see the problem, is there something I'm missing?

Amphetryon
2012-11-12, 08:19 AM
I intend to make a level 7 Sha'ir in a campaign I'm joining. There are no (high level) NPC spellcasters in the part of the world where we are playing. The only PC spellcaster is a Blaster-Sorcerer:smallyuk:. I don't want to operate with only blast-y spells, spells known, and the occasional spells which enemies use. I suggested that I spend some of my starting gold on NPC spell casting so I could be familiar with some spells. The DM thought this was ridiculous. I don't see the problem, is there something I'm missing?

It sounds like the concept you want to play isn't especially compatible with the game your DM wants to run. He's got a "low magic world" concept going, while you're building an "all your spell are belong to us" caster. I have to ask: did you come up with your concept independent of, or in response to, information about the type of game your DM was intending to run?

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-12, 08:39 AM
That explanation makes sense. I came up with the concept in response to "Dragon Compendium is allowed" I'd never played a Sha'ir before so I thought that since Dragon Compendium was allowed it would be a good opportunity. It seems like my exicitement to finally play a Sha'ir distracted me from the low magic of the world.

Answerer
2012-11-12, 08:48 AM
Frankly, while that was a mistake, your DM is making a huge mistake too: 3.5 does not do low-magic well at all. I'd ask for a lot of details on how he's completely overhauled the system to account for low magic before I played it. A few quick houserules are not equal to this task.

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-12, 11:12 AM
Frankly, while that was a mistake, your DM is making a huge mistake too: 3.5 does not do low-magic well at all. I'd ask for a lot of details on how he's completely overhauled the system to account for low magic before I played it. A few quick houserules are not equal to this task.

I think he has only a couple NPC spellcasters and no magic item stores. I believe that's all he did but he might have also refluffed some of his NPCs as non-magical or something?

Amnestic
2012-11-12, 11:20 AM
I think he has only a couple NPC spellcasters and no magic item stores. I believe that's all he did but he might have also refluffed some of his NPCs as non-magical or something?

If you're unsure (which it sounds like you are) you need to get in touch with him and peg down exactly what sort of theme/magic level his campaign world is based around and tailor your character concept accordingly. Sadly, we can't answer that for them. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2012-11-12, 11:49 AM
If it's low-magic, Sha'ir won't fit very well; They're pretty far up there on the spectrum, both from a power and fluff perspective. A cool class, mind you, and Charisma-based prepared casters are rare, but in a way they're even easier to break a low-magic setting with than wizards.

Just think - where a wizard can have trouble finding the scrolls they need to expand their repertoire, you can - in addition to staring at monsters and rival mages - grab some shadow spells and start just duplicating anything you want to learn. See it once, send genie, bam. Then summon things and have them cast the stuff you want to learn. Then get Limited Wish and/or Arcane Disciple. The list of ways goes on.

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-12, 11:49 AM
EDIT: ^ is a ninja. I appriciate your advice/comments to.

If you're unsure (which it sounds like you are) you need to get in touch with him and peg down exactly what sort of theme/magic level his campaign world is based around and tailor your character concept accordingly. Sadly, we can't answer that for them. :smalltongue:

Okay. Thank you playground.