PDA

View Full Version : PrC into base class

Dayzgone
2012-11-12, 12:44 PM
Wow its been a while since i have been here, but anyway right to business

Me and some friends are starting up a mid-high power game, standard rules, most of the books, so on and so forth. The interesting part comes from the idea that im going to turn the Dragon Disciple into a base class, with a slight tweak.

The class will remain as is with lvls 1-10 except there will be no pre-req's, and the "bonus spells" will be changed into a bardic spell progression straight up.

I did this 1) Because I honestly beleave that the PrC is junk even though I think the idea is cool 2) None of my players have ever actually played the class bc they agree with above 3) One of my players who is always a joy to DM for really wants to play the class since he really likes the flavor, but probably wont be able to do much since all the other players will be decently optimized

So I pitched this idea to him, and he loves it, but feels it may be to overpowered because of it. I highly doubt that, but it has been a while so i might not be as sharp on this stuff as i used to be.

What do you guys think, to strong? or not strong enough?

Gnaeus
2012-11-12, 12:53 PM
I like what pathfinder did with it, so I will suggest looking at it on the PFSRD. The gems include:
Gives it 7/10 Sorc progression. (this is similar to what you are doing by giving it bard progression, but it stacks with sorcerer levels, which is good).
Lets it advance the Sorcerer Bloodline abilities. Again, these are mostly similar to stuff that it already gets. Biggest change is an improvement in the breath weapon. 6d8 is 27 average damage 1/day at level 10. That is awful if "the other players are optimized).
Gives it bonus feats off the Sorcerer bonus feat list at 2, 5, and 8. Their feat list is Blind-Fight, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Quicken Spell, Skill Focus (Fly), Skill Focus (Knowledge [arcana]), Toughness.

Andreaz
2012-11-12, 12:55 PM
Have you seen pathfinder's sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer)? Their take on the draconic bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/draconic-bloodline) might be what you want.
It's a sorcerer + special powers themed to their heritage.
Their actual Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/dragon-disciple) is much better too, but still flawed since it eats your 9ths for sorcerers.

My personal suggestion is to go default sorcerer using wizard spell progression (they get new levels a level earlier than sorcs) and the dragon disciple with full bab.
Practiced Spellcaster is, as usual, a must.

Dayzgone
2012-11-12, 01:11 PM
To weak, i figured as much

Im enjoying this pathfinder version much more. I have a feeling will end up using it, but if not im going to trade out the bard stuff for a sorcerer spell list instead.

thx you guys, this is more or less exactly what i was looking for.

Answerer
2012-11-12, 09:14 PM
Honestly, Dragon Disciple base class with Bardic-esque spellcasting off the Sor/Wiz list is pretty good.

Maybe gestalt it with the Dragon Shaman from Player's Handbook II (another notoriously underpowered dragon-ish class)? That'll give a dragon breath and Auras that affect your party. That would make the class a kind of more aggressive/offensive version of the Bard.

grarrrg
2012-11-12, 09:47 PM
Their actual Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/dragon-disciple) is much better too, but still flawed since it eats your 9ths for sorcerers.

Actually, Draconic Bloodline + Dragon Disciple get VERY redundant VERY quickly. The last 2 levels of Dragon Disciple are easily skipped, giving you your 18th level casting/9th spells.

Or, my favorite, since you must have the Draconic Bloodline to qualify for the class, but it says nothing that it _only_ advances Draconic, then I say go Crossblooded! This gets rid of the redundancy, and can be used to make a fairly nice gish as well.
And the main hit against Crossblooded (-1 spell known per level) is semi-offset. The Disciple is 7/10 casting, but 10/10 bloodline, so you get your Bloodline spells known as soon as you are able to cast them.