PDA

View Full Version : Making a Fang Dragon

Sudain
2012-11-12, 04:24 PM
In draconomicon, there is the fang dragon; but if I wanted to make a CR12 fang dragon; I'm not seeing the stat's block to base it off of. Or am I missing something blaringly obvious?

Thank you in advance,

Seharvepernfan
2012-11-12, 04:30 PM
I'm assuming that the age categories skips from one that's less than 12 to one that's more than 12?

The easiest thing to do is take the first <12 category, and add a template that fits. Or give it a few sorcerer levels. Or just try and find a nice balancing point between the two categories.

eggs
2012-11-12, 04:42 PM
Dragons don't come pregenerated.

The way dragons work is:

Look up the CR entry for the appropriate age for the challenge rating. In this case (CR 12 Fang Dragon), we're looking at a Mature Adult.
Look up the basic stats on the tables. So in this case, it's Huge, 21d12 HD, 1d8 ability drain (the breath weapon is a typo), 27 Str, CL 5, SR 22 and so on. EDIT: And note that special abilities and SLAs are cumulative: a Mature Adult has all the special abilities and SLAs as every younger version, but its DR increases to 10/magic.
Look up the appropriate attacks for its size in the Monster Manual Dragon entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm). In this case, 1 bite, 2 wings, 2 claws, 1 tail slap, 1 crush (and notice that Fang Dragons' natural weapons deal damage as creatures one size category larger).
Assign feats, skill points and spells known. Feat and skills work as normal: in this case, 8 feats for 21 HD and normal skill points for 21 Dragon HD: [6+Int]*[HD+3] = 192 points total with a 24 rank cap. Spell selection is normal, as for an appropriately-leveled Sorcerer (in this case, level 5, so two spells known at level 2, four at level 1, six at level 0).

Hope that helps.

Urpriest
2012-11-12, 04:49 PM
Fang Dragons aren't any different than other True Dragons in this respect. Since fielding a True Dragon involves understanding how to put together a monster stat block to a much greater extent than other monsters, you should probably read my monster handbook (link in sig) if you are unsure of how to do this.

Sudain
2012-11-12, 07:35 PM
Awesome, thank you guys. I was being a dunce!