PDA

View Full Version : 3.5-Making a Red Dragon PC-best build!

AzazelSephiroth
2012-11-12, 07:36 PM
Hey Everybody:smallsmile:

I am going to be starting an all monster game coming up soon and while I do not know if it will last longer than a session or two I want to be the best darn monster I can be... and in my personal opinion (rules and number crunch aside) I think the coolest monster in the MM is the Red Dragon. I have been a fan ever since I was a kid and the idea of them is one of the reasons I began playing D&D! So anyway my little back story aside:smallredface: I have come to the Forums for guidance...

The 3.5 Monsters as Players rules are not exactly great when it comes to Dragons... I have come to accept this (although I may not like it:smallannoyed:) But assuming I am using standard 3.5 rules from Savage Species/Draconomicon... and everything else that is officially published. What is the best ECL 9-11 (a range is best as I am unsure what level we will be starting probably level 10) build for a Red Dragon that the playground can give me?
Full set of feats/skill choices etc would be appreciated. As well as any cool ideas or story concepts that I may not have considered I am open to ideas... except Kobolds... please don`t ask why, but I cannot stand Kobolds:smallwink:

Summary: Any Published Material/Red Dragon/ECL 9-11 (10 is golden)
Stats- 18,18,16,16,14,12
Thanks in Advance!!

Spuddles
2012-11-12, 07:45 PM
Wyrmling Red Dragon has ECL 11, with 4 LA. 4 LA is enough to buy off a few levels.

I would pick up the loredrake sovereign archetype from Dragons of Eberron for +2 sorcerer casting levels. Your d12 HD get downgraded to d10s.

Pick up the spellhoarding & riddled templates from DR 313 to turn your sorc casting into wizard casting. This will give you +8 int and -8 wis, some minor penalties, some bonus feats, and a cool new spell book (tattoos on your scales).

When you gain a level, take it in a gishy class, like 1 level spellsword, 5 levels abjurant champion.

AzazelSephiroth
2012-11-12, 07:57 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reply! I had not double checked the numbers for a Red Dragon before I posted- so a wyrmling is probably my best best, with level adj buy-off... I have often heard of this but have never used it, can you explain how buy off works and what book it is found in for me?
Also the build idea looks very cool I will have to read up on it!:smallbiggrin:

Any more cool ideas are welcome as well, I would love to have a few options available just in case my first one is too close to another players.

Xervous
2012-11-12, 08:45 PM
ECL 11 with 4 of it being LA sounds downright depressing...
7 racial hitdice, 4 level adjustment

LA +4 can only be bought off once you get 12 class levels. Whoops you don't qualify until epic.

I advise you find a different type of dragon and ask if the DM would allow you to flavor it as a red dragon.

lower level dragons:
mercury: 3 racial HD, 2 LA
steel: 4 racial HD, 2 LA. effective sorcerer casting LVL 1

also look into other dragon racial options like those spuddles mentioned.

AzazelSephiroth
2012-11-12, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Xervous!
I am tempted to use another type of Dragon and fluff it, but the numbers don`t quite add up the same if I do that either... I wonder if my DM maybe lenient and let me use a hybrid version of the Steel Dragon is has the basic chassis but is a tad weak on the physical side for a Red Dragon re-fluff... although I could live with being small:smallsmile:

If I ran with Steel Dragon what would be your build suggestion? Still Abjurant Champion gishness?