PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Fighter "power-up" [WIP]

Korney
2012-11-12, 07:46 PM
It's a WIP until I feel satisfied with it. (Currently v1.4)
Feel free to PEACH it.
If some text is crossed it's because I don't like it but I keep it for future changes. Ignore it.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4020/6539122orig.jpg

Artwork by Kekai Kotaki (http://www.kekaiart.com/)

Korney's Fighter Fix
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Bonus feat, Ignore the Blood

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Bonus feat, Respect, Keep Fighting

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Experienced Fighter, Armor Accustomed

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Bonus feat, Deep Scars

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Stand Strong

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Bonus feat

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Veteran Ability

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus feat, Deep Scars

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Veteran Ability

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Bonus feat

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Veteran Ability

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Bonus feat, Deep Scars

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Veteran Ability

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Bonus feat

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Veteran Ability

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Bonus feat, Deep Scars

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Veteran Ability

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Bonus feat

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Veteran Ability

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Bonus feat, Deep Scars[/table]

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str) and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields). A fighter may trade his heavy armor proficiency for an exotic armor proficiency at first level. A fighter may trade his tower shield proficiency for an exotic shield proficiency at first level.
A fighter gets as many exotic weapons proficiency as his Intelligence bonus.

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, a fighter gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The fighter gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every two fighter levels thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Ignore the Blood: A fighter can stop any bleeding damage if he success in a Fortitude save of DC(15 + bleeding damage). He must roll for every bleeding effect separately.

Respect: Starting at 2nd level a fighter adds his fighter level to his intimidation and gather information skills.

Keep Fighting: When reduced to between 0 and -9 hit points a fighter can choose to be disabled and automatically become stable or to keep acting normally and start dying, losing 1 hit point per turn.
When reduced to -10 or less he dies unless he makes a successful Fortitude save of DC(20 + 5 accumulative each turn) at the beginning of his turn. If a fighter recieves enough healing to get his hitpoints above 0 during this saves he becomes exhausted. If this situation occurs a second time during the same combat the fighter will fall unconcious upon receiving enough healing.

Experienced Fighter: Every feat that provides a static bonus to attack, damage, or AC to the fighter improves by +1 at level 3 and another +1 every three levels thereafter.

Armor Accustomed: A fighter wearing an armor he is competent with adds 1 to the max dexterity of the armor, and reduces by 2 to the armor check penalties. If the armor is specially made for the fighter, both bonuses increase in 2.

Deep Scars: At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, a fighter gains +1 Str or Con at his discretion. This is in addition to the usual character level ability increase and stacks with it.

Feat Retraining: Starting at 10th level, and every two levels thereafter (12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th), the fighter can change one bonus feat for a new one. If the lost feat was a prerequesite for other feats he has he can not take advantage of them until he meets the prerequesites again.

Stand Strong: Starting at 5th level a fighter can add his Str or Con modifier against fear, charms and enchantment spells or effects.
At 10th level the fighter gains fear immunity.

Veteran Abilities: On attaining 7th level, and every two levels thereafter (9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, and 19th) a fighter gains a veteran ability of his choice from among the following options.

-Protect the Fallen: A veteran fighter can stand in the same square as a fallen ally and intercept any attack made to him. The attack resolves against the fighter AC without any dex or dodge bonus. If it's an area attack the fighter can choose to fall prone and protect his ally, taking the damage himself, Reflex Saves automatically fail. While protecting the fallen a fighter can fight defensively without any penalties to attack or actions.

-Shield Ally: A veteran fighter standing at 5 feet or less from an ally can, as an immediate action, jump between him and any source of damage that would have otherwise damaged his ally. He takes the damage instead with no save and ends prone.

-Taunt: A veteran fighter knows how to use insults and dares to infuriate an enemy and attract his atention. Once per encounter as a free action roll an intimidate check versus an enemy Will save, the objetive may add his Int modifier instead of Wis if it is higher.
If an enemy with an Int score of 10 or more fails the save he will attack you as soon as he can, but will not take unnecesary risks.
If an enemy with an Int score of 9 or lower fails the save he will attack
enraged at you, risking AoO or any minor damage that is not suicidal.
An enemy with 10 or more Int may try a new save every turn to stop focusing his attacks at you.

-Dirty Trick: A veteran fighter knows that sometimes playing dirty is a valid strategy. He can grab sand, dirt, mud or other similar materials with his boot tip or his hand and throw them to his enemy eyes. As a move action, the fighter can make a ranged touch attack to one enemy withing a 10 feet radius. The attack blinds the enemy for 1d3 rounds unless he makes a Reflex save of DC (10 + fighter lvl).

-Two Hands, Two Weapons: If a veteran fighter have the Two Weapon Fighting feat his attack penalties are reduced by 2 and he can add his full Strength bonus to damage to his offhand weapon.

-Shield Expert: A veteran fighter using a shield he is competent with reduces by 2 the shield check penalties and gains DR X/adamantine, where X is the AC a non-magical shield of it's kind has. (Ex: A +5 Heavy Shield would give him DR 2/adamantine)

-Big Weapons: A veteran fighter using a two-handed weapon he is competent with treats it as one size larger for disarm and sunder checks. And gains the Cleave feat benefits for that weapon.

-Exotic Strike: A veteran fighter using an exotic weapon he is competent with adds 2 to his disarm, trip, sunder, and grapple checks with that weapon. And gains the Quick Draw feat benefits for that weapon.

-Hold the Position: Once per encounter a veteran fighter with this ability can designate a square of 10 feet or a terrain point of similar size (ex: A door, a bridge, a corridor, etc.) and hold the position. As long as he doesn't move away from that area he gets a bonus to AC for fighting defensively of +5 that stacks with the normal bonus from fighting defensively, and everytime a foe moves within that area the fighter gets a free attack of oportunity against him, even if the move is a 5 feet step.

-Stubborn Hold: A natural 1 no longer means an automatic fail for a veteran fighter on Fortitude saving rolls or saving rolls against charms and enchantment spells or effects.

-Vigorous Health: The Hit Die of a veteran fighter changes to d12, but do not recalculate his hitpoints before taking this ability. A fighter must be 11th level to take this ability.

-Magic Eater: A veteran fighter is used to be the target of magic users. He gains SR 10 (+ half his fighter level). If the fighter has better SR from other source, this ability improves it by 1. A fighter must be 11th level to take this ability.

-Feat: The fighter can take a feat instead of an ability.

Korney
2012-11-15, 07:18 PM
So 6 months have passed... I have no more free time :(

v1.3
Readed all your comments again, and I know your want more power and more scalability. But here comes my opinion.
Some of the comments are very good, some other will certainly power up the class, but I'm trying to make a simple fighter fix. A fix that will not need a whole book explaining the class. That did not need a computer to take into account all the variable bonus each turn. That did not step over other classes. I obviously failed, because the fighter is too broken.
This doesn't try to make a superpowerful fighter that can win 50% of the fights against a wizard. That's not possible without making up and entire class.
Here are three of the limitations I struggle with.
-I want the Ranger and the Barbarian to still be playable with this fighter. I don't want to reach a point where everybody would take a fighter over a ranger 100% of the time.
-I don't want the fighter to use magic or magic-like features. There are other classes for that.
-I didn't want to make some feats worthless, I realize now this is pointless. Feats do not have the same power. Some are worthless some are worth over 9000 !

So, I'm going to rewrite some things again. Trying to add a little bit to the fighter. It is SO tempting to make the Barbarian and option inside the fighter. (Lose competencies, gain d12, etc.) But in the end, I don't want to. I will refrain to give too much power to the fighter.

TL;DR: This is not a Fix to make the fighter a TIER 1 class. This fighter will still be worse than a cleric or a druid. With luck this will grasp TIER 4-3

Also, feel free to take anything you want from here and add it to your homebrew. Edit it, change it, I don't mind at all.
If you manage to make a new homebrew with something based on this, send me a PM with the link. I would love to see it.

v1.4
Removed the narrative so this is not so focused on my view of a fighter.

Keep Fighting may need better wording. What I want to do is: betwen 0 and -9 you choose either to be disabled but stable or act normaly and start dying. If you get into -10 or less you can keep going as far as you make your ST. To prevent abuse I added the exhausted and unconcious states. This is intended to make the fighter harder to kill, not impossible.

Experienced Fighter may need better wording: I want to boost feats like weapon focus, not feats like power attack.

Feat Retraining I think I'm just going to scrap this. There are mechanics to retrain feats already, ask your DM about it.

Will check the veteran abilities again later.

lunar2
2012-11-15, 07:48 PM
1. spoiler the image. that thing is huge.

2. there are plenty of simple fixes that push the fighter to T4.

non-linear fighter is over at one of the D&D wikis. it is exactly the same as a regular fighter, but can prepare his fighter bonus feats at the beginning of the day like a cleric prepares her spells. chameleons are loved for having 1 floating feat. this fighter gets 11.

dungeoncrasher ACF from dungeonscape. not even homebrew.

MOAR FEATS. variants include feats at every level, and feats at every level not divisible by 3. even a couple of extra bonus feats pushes the fighter to T4, because it is high in T5 to begin with.

better feats. yes, one of the ways to make all martial characters, and especially fighters, better is to improve some of the staple feats. especially common PrC feat taxes like weapon focus.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-15, 08:45 PM
Mmm. Here's the thing. I like the new abilities you've given. They're nice and flavorful, and have a good, old-school feel to them. But they're kind of weak. Well, not so much weak, as too little, too late, if that makes sense. The Hardened Veteran abilities, for example, are great... if you got them in the 6-12 level range.

I mean, you accomplish your goal of hitting T4. But this feels like it could be so much more with some nice high-level abilities.

TuggyNE
2012-11-15, 11:13 PM
MOAR FEATS. variants include feats at every level, and feats at every level not divisible by 3. even a couple of extra bonus feats pushes the fighter to T4, because it is high in T5 to begin with.

better feats. yes, one of the ways to make all martial characters, and especially fighters, better is to improve some of the staple feats. especially common PrC feat taxes like weapon focus.

One of the classic problems with giving the Fighter class more or better feats is that it doesn't improve the class so much as make it more attractive for dipping. That's not so bad as long as you're also powering up the other T4/T5/T6 mundanes, but to the extent that you can include Fighter levels in caster builds, things start to get seriously awkward; gishes don't need any more help. Or, in short: feats are not class features.

toapat
2012-11-16, 01:18 AM
While not bad, as it has been said, you suffer the same problem of alot of Fighter brew:

Feats are again, not class features. The typical comment i hear about practical fighter application is they run out of feats to choose once they have a combat style.

This is why, when i did my own fighter homebrew, i chose to go the Pathfinder route for building a class: A class doesnt need to be one thing, it can be many things. Let the player choose what that thing is. I dropped them down to 6 bonus feats, gave them combat stances and techniques, and forgot about the weapon specialization stuff by accident, ill probably be redoing that specific brew later on in order to make it flow. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13289004&postcount=1)

Yitzi
2012-11-16, 09:19 AM
One of the classic problems with giving the Fighter class more or better feats is that it doesn't improve the class so much as make it more attractive for dipping.

If the more feats are spread out then it won't particularly help dipping. And as for better feats...I think the best way to do that is to make feats that increase "horizontal power" (versatility) rather than "vertical power"; such feats are more useful when you have a lot of them (as that lets you choose the best ability for the situation), so that encourages going the long haul.

Boosting the weapon focus/specialization line would also be a good boost.

Korney
2012-11-16, 05:22 PM
Updated and tweaked it.

Inspiration for new Hardened Veteran Abilities is apreciated :smallsmile:

Korney
2013-01-26, 10:24 PM
Version 1.3 after several opinions have been heard.

Just to be clear, I appreciate and value all your opinions, and take them into account. I just can't update this as much as I would like to.

I have kind of given up on tiering up the fighter. It looks like giving him more options that are still "fighter-ish" would steal barbarian, rogue or ranger roles. Or at least overlap with them.

I guess I could go the Leader way, but there are other fixes that focus on that, no need for one more.

I will think more about it.

Zman
2013-01-27, 03:29 PM
Well, I like most of it. I think its a solid start for the fighter.

Skills, Experienced Fighter, Armor Accustomed, Feat Retraining, all great.

Two things it could really use, the ability to make at least one additional attack as a standard action or on the charge. This alone would go along way to helping your Fighter. Doesn't have to be pounce, but a single iterative attack would be great. You can see what I did with my fighter fix located in my Signature for some ideas.

Now, the part I don't like, some of your Veteran Abilities. Especially Big Weapons and Exotic Strike. I seem them breaking the Spiked Chain Fighter even more, since Itd be a Large Spiked Chain. I think you need more and a greater Variety of Veteran Abilities, Ranged Weapons need some love here as well. Give Sword and Board a bit of love too. Some mobility based Veteran abilities, things that allow them to ignore or partially ignore movement limiters like Web, Solid Fogs, etc. Maybe the ability to make anoher 5' step or even 5' step before move actions. Maybe change Magic Eater to increases SR of Items by 1/2 Fighter Level? Not a huge fan of innate SR on a Fighter, but have no qualms about them being better at using items meant to grant SR.

Hope that helps.

Korney
2013-01-27, 03:47 PM
I don't like the SR thing either. I will change it. But I want it to have some protection. Maybe I will change it for better saves vs spells when wearing a shield or something like that.
About the combat style abilities, I'm not sure I like it either. I wanted it to be like an extra, not a must-have.
Every chained build is broken, the weapon itself is broken. No matter what I do.
Giving something like pounce to the fighter will broke chargers even more. And I think Barbarians should be the ones pouncing.
I want the rogue and ranger to be the ranged guys, the fighter must not suck at it, but should not be better. A fighter can already be better ranged with his BAB and feats, he doesn't need special abilities for it.

Any Veteran Ability you can come up with is welcome.
All your feedback is valious. I will think about it and make some changes.

Zman
2013-01-27, 05:45 PM
I don't like the SR thing either. I will change it. But I want it to have some protection. Maybe I will change it for better saves vs spells when wearing a shield or something like that.
About the combat style abilities, I'm not sure I like it either. I wanted it to be like an extra, not a must-have.
Every chained build is broken, the weapon itself is broken. No matter what I do.
Giving something like pounce to the fighter will broke chargers even more. And I think Barbarians should be the ones pouncing.
I want the rogue and ranger to be the ranged guys, the fighter must not suck at it, but should not be better. A fighter can already be better ranged with his BAB and feats, he doesn't need special abilities for it.

Any Veteran Ability you can come up with is welcome.
All your feedback is valious. I will think about it and make some changes.

That is why I didn't say give him pounce, but being able to make a second attack on the charge at mid to late levels keeps the fighter competitive. Chargers aren't necessarily broken, until you get to the Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Combat Brute, Leap Attack, etc builds with Pounce. That gets broken. Giving a Fighter one Iterative Attack on the charge simply makes him competent and lets him contribute.

The problem doesn't lie with making the Fighter better at Ranged than others, but how bad Ranged is in general. Rogues and Rangers really aren't that good at Ranged Combat, A specialized Ranged Fighter should be on par with the best Ranged Combatants out there and IMO better if he specializes.

I know the Chain builds are broken, but those two Veteran Abilities Break them further netting them an easy +4 to trip attempts and disarm attempts over what they already get. Insult to Injury.

Off the top of my head for Veteran Abilities.... I'll let you come up with fun names.

Dex to Damage for Ranged
Int to Damage
One Iterative Attack on Standard Actions or Charge
Sacrifice Move Action for +5 to hit for Standard Action
Sacrifice Move for +4 Dodge Bonuse to AC
Take an additional 5' step
Int to Combat Maneuvers
Halve to hit penalties for Fighting Defensively
1st Iterative strikes at Full BAB

Those are just some ideas, but I feel the list should be pretty large and allow for a wide array of abilities.

Yakk
2013-01-27, 06:34 PM
Ignore the Blood: A fighter can stop any bleeding damage if he success in a Fortitude save of DC(15 + bleeding damage). He must roll for every bleeding effect separately.
Ridiculously, ridiculously niche. So niche it would be tempting not to copy it to your character sheet.

Respect: The view of a battle-hardened fighter still awakens instincts of danger and submission. Others see his old scars, his battered weapons and his focused eyes with a mixture of fear and respect.
Starting at 2nd level a fighter adds his fighter level to his intimidation and gather information skills.
Cute.

Keep Fighting: A fighter can push himself over the limit when he is about to lose his life. When a fighter hitpoints are between 0 and -9 he can act normally. When his hitpoints reaches -10 or less he can avoid death by rolling a Fortitude save each turn. He must roll at the beginning of his turn. The DC is 20 (+ 5 accumulative each turn). If a fighter fails one of this saves he dies immediately. If a fighter receives enough healing to avoid death during this saves he becomes exhausted but can act normally otherwise. If this situation occurs a second time during the same combat the fighter will become unconscious upon receiving enough healing.
So, healing this fighter makes the fighter less competent in the short term?

Really needs rewriting. As written, the fighter can take infinite damage, and then only has to make a DC 20 check at the start of the fighter's next turn -- I guess the "massive damage" rule might kick in.

Experienced Fighter: A fighter uses his experience in the battlefield to improve his combat skills adding moves and tricks. Every feat that provides bonus to attack, bonus to damage or bonus to AC to the fighter improves by +1 at level 3 and another +1 every three levels thereafter.
Needs serious clarification. As an example, power attack lets you trade 1 point of accuracy for 1 point of damage (or 2 with a two-handed weapon). Does this become 1 point of accuracy for 8 points of damage for a 18th level fighter using a two handed weapon? 12 points? Or is it just an extra +6 damage if you do at least a one point trade?

Armor Accustomed: A fighter wears armor so much time that it becomes a second skin. A fighter wearing an armor he is competent with adds 1 to the max dexterity of the armor, and reduces by 2 to the amor check penalties.
Meh, increases MAD of the fighter, and grants at best a +1 AC and +2 skill check bonus. I'd rather just grant the fighter a base defence bonus.

Deep Scars: The body of a fighter hardens as his enemies' blades kiss his flesh, healing and growing stronger over time.
At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, a fighter gains +1 Str or Con at his discretion. This is in addition to the usual character level ability increase and stacks with it.
Maybe name this "conditioning" rather than "scars"? :) Scars describes what happens to the Fighter which improves her, while conditioning describes what the Fighter does which improves her.

Feat Retraining: A fighter is able to adapt and evolve his combat skill, allowing him to improve and renew old strategies he learnt. Starting at 5th level, and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th), the fighter can change one bonus feat for a new one. If the lost feat was a prerequesite for other feats he has he can not take advantage of them until he meets the prerequesites again./shrug. As noted, why not just grant a style system around all of the fighter bonus feats? Doesn't require many more words, and provides a more flexible bonus. As a level 10 and 15 ability, this is also really crappy.

Stand Strong: Following the path of war makes a fighter tougher physically and mentally. The fighter have witnessed rivers of blood and have faced powers beyond imagination just with courage and steel, and have survived.
Starting at 5th level a fighter can add his Str or Con modifier against fear, charms and enchantment spells or effects.
At 12th level the fighter gains fear immunity.
More narration. Avoid that: character's experiences shouldn't be dictated by their class. ;)

Fear immunity as a 12th level ability is rather weak for a 12th level ability. Sure, it is better than nothing. But paladins already get it at 3rd level.

The restricted set of effects is ... I dunno. I'd almost rather do something like:
Shield Deflect: Starting at 5th level, the Fighter can apply the higher of her shield bonus to her Reflex defence, or half her enhancement bonus on a weapon.
Body of Iron: Starting at 7th level, the Fighter can add her enhancement bonus to AC from her armor to her Fortitude defence.
Mind Body Conditioning: Starting at 9th level, the Fighter can apply her Str or Con bonus to her will saves.
Stand Strong: Starting at 11th level, if the Fighter fails a save against a mind-affecting spell or effect but does not roll a 1, the Fighter instead becomes Dazed until the start of her next turn, at which point she repeats her save against the effect. If she fails this second roll, the effect occurs.

These are all broader defensive abilities than the narrow ones you designed.

Veteran Abilities: A fighter has been in many battles and has dedicated his life to the steel. He have developed some moves that only experience can achieve. On attaining 7th level, and every two levels thereafter (9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, and 19th) a fighter gains a veteran ability of his choice from among the following options.
Conclusion: Failure to scale. The fighter will pick the "best" ability at level 9, then get increasingly worse ones as she gains levels.

Abilities gained a higher levels should be better, not worse, than those gained at lower levels.

-Protect the Fallen: A veteran fighter can stand in the same square as a fallen ally and intercept any attack made to him. The attack resolves against the fighter AC without any dex or dodge bonus. If it's an area attack the fighter can choose to fall prone and protect his ally, taking the damage himself, Reflex Saves automatically fail. While protecting the fallen a fighter can fight defensively without any penalties to attack or actions.Ridiculously niche.

If you had a class that gained about as many abilities this niche as a sorcerer gains spells, you might have something. The above might be the equivalent of a cantrip.

-Shield Ally: A veteran fighter standing at 5 feet or less from an ally can, as an immediate action, jump between him and any source of damage that would have otherwise damaged his ally. He takes the damage instead with no save and ends prone./shrug. Why not grant the fighter an advantage, instead of just moving damage to someone else with an extra penalty?

-Taunt: A veteran fighter knows how to use insults and dares to infuriate an enemy and attract his attention. Once per encounter as a free action roll an intimidate check versus an enemy Will save, the target may add his Int modifier instead of Wis if it is higher.
Skill checks and Will saves do not scale in the same way.

In particular, this fighter's intimidate scales at +2 per level. So this rapidly becomes an auto-success against most targets, even if you let them roll (will save + int bonus).

If an enemy with an Int score of 10 or more fails the save he will attack you as soon as he can, but will not take unnecessary risks.
If an enemy with an Int score of 9 or lower fails the save he will attack
enraged at you, risking AoO or any minor damage that is not suicidal.
An enemy with 10 or more Int may try a new save every turn to stop focusing his attacks at you.
I assume was for a reason? :)

-Dirty Trick: A veteran fighter knows that sometimes playing dirty is a valid strategy. He can grab sand, dirt, mud or other similar materials with his boot tip or his hand and throw them to his enemy eyes. As a move action, the fighter can make a ranged touch attack to one enemy withing a 10 feet radius. The attack blinds the enemy for 1d3 rounds unless he makes a Reflex save of DC (10 + fighter lvl).
Two ways to fail this? Meh.

And the ranged touch already takes into account the target dodging. The right save after a hit would be a fort save, even if you wanted to do two checks.

-Two Hands, Two Weapons: If a veteran fighter have the Two Weapon Fighting feat his attack penalties are reduced by 2 and he can add his full Strength bonus to damage to his offhand weapon.
So +2 to attacks when TWF, +str/2 to damage on offhand weapons. Pretty pedestrian for a level 19 ability?

-Shield Expert: A veteran fighter using a shield he is competent with reduces by 2 the shield check penalties and gains DR X/adamantine, where X is the AC a non-magical shield of it's kind has. (Ex: A +5 Heavy Shield would give him DR 2/adamantine)Why "/adamantine"? DR 1-4 with no qualification isn't going to break the game at level 10+.

-Big Weapons: A veteran fighter using a two-handed weapon he is competent with treats it as one size larger for disarm and sunder checks. And gains the Cleave feat benefits for that weapon.
So, +4 to sunder/disarm, and free feat. Meh.

-Exotic Strike: A veteran fighter using an exotic weapon he is competent with adds 2 to his disarm, trip, sunder, and grapple checks with that weapon. And gains the Quick Draw feat benefits for that weapon.
So, free feat, and +2 to disarm, trip, sunder and grapple. Most of these are already either already impossible, or increasingly impossible, against level appropriate foes. And even then, if they land, they tend to be mediocre status effects you wasted an action on.

At low levels, these bonuses are great. By level 15? Meh.

-Hold the Position: Once per encounter a veteran fighter with this ability can designate a square of 10 feet or a terrain point of similar size (ex: A door, a bridge, a corridor, etc.) and hold the position. As long as he doesn't move away from that area he gets a bonus to AC for fighting defensively of +5 that stacks with the normal bonus from fighting defensively, and everytime a foe moves within that area the fighter gets a free attack of oportunity against him, even if the move is a 5 feet step.Great, if it wasn't once per encounter. Lack of mobility is one of the reasons why fighter's suck by mid-high levels, this just gives the fighter even more reason to lose to mobile opponents.

-Stubborn Hold: A natural 1 no longer means an automatic fail for a veteran fighter on Fortitude saving rolls or saving rolls against charms and enchantment spells or effects.
Very niche. The fighter's save has to be so high that they are already effectively immune to the effect before this has any impact.

-Vigorous Health: The Hit Die of a veteran fighter changes to d12, but do not recalculate his hitpoints before taking this ability. A fighter must be 11th level to take this ability.
Why not "and the fighter gains 1 HP plus 1 HP per level the fighter takes this ability at" or some such? And why force a delay to 11th level or higher?

-Magic Eater: A veteran fighter is used to be the target of magic users. He gains SR 10 (+ half his fighter level). If the fighter has better SR from other source, this ability improves it by 1. A fighter must be 11th level to take this ability.
Worth noting on the character sheet, but any similar level wizard (or CR-appropriate foe) will be able to completely ignore this class feature.

Suppose we have a level 20 fighter, and a level 20 wizard. The wizard spends 2 feats on boosting her ability to penetrate SR. So he rolls 1d20+24 against a SR of 20.

Wait, why did the wizard bother with feats to boost SR?

Admittedly, a CR 20 dragon is only a ~13th level caster. So the dragon gets to roll 1d20+17 vs the SR of 20 on the fighter (after spending 2/11 feats on SR penetration), which means a 15% spell failure rate.

-Feat: The fighter can take a feat instead of an ability.
Ya.