PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Seeker of the Fallen, an arcane/channeler demon hunter [PrC]

ErrantX
2012-11-12, 09:56 PM
Seeker of the Fallen

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/lythonv66/dungeon-fighter-priest-anime-23591450-400-600.jpg

Father Theodore Shotenheim, a Seeker of the Fallen and devotee of Suriel
Image copyright to Dungeon Fighter Online (http://dungeonfighter.nexon.net/) and Nexon Korea Group (http://www.nexon.net)

The fiends of the many hells and pits of the Lower Planes have forces of evil so myriad and vast, that agents of one sort or another are always on the Material Plane, seeking to corrupt or destroy the mortals that inhabit it. With this idea in mind, some angelic patrons take matters into their own hands and offer angelic pacts to arcane spellcasters with the will to do something about it and grant them the tools to bolster that courage. Thus the Seekers of the Fallen were formed, the hunt those evil beings with their divine sight and wield a myriad of tools in the service of the heavens to send these monsters back to where they belonged.

Seekers of the Fallen often begin their careers as sorcerers (sometimes with the celestial bloodline) or wizards who receive the call to make a pact with an angel to become channelers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196557). Bards and more commonly magi get the call as well, bringing both song or fierce ability to bear with the invocations of a channeler. Witches never become Seekers, and some think that it is because a witch's magic is unclean and unable to blend with a channeler's invocations.
Hit Die: d8

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any good
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks.
Feats: Arcane Strike, Alertness, any metamagic feat
Invocations: Capable of using least divine invocations and celestial light.
Spells: Must be capable of casting 2nd level arcane spells, and must not have abjuration or conjuration magic prohibited.

Seeker of the Fallen
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|
Spellcasting and Invocations

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+1|
Arcane angel, detect evil outsiders, favored enemy (evil outsiders) +2|

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|
Graced, arcane invocation|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+2|
Celestial touch|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+2|
Demon Slayer|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

5th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+3|
Arcane invocation|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+3|
Aegis|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+4|
Favored enemy (evil outsiders) +4|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

8th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+4|
Fiend-killer|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+5|
Arcane invocation|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+5|
Arcane herald|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class / +1 level of existing divine invocation-using class[/table]

Class Skills: Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points per Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The seeker gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Invocations: At each level except for 1st level, the seeker gains an increase in caster level and new invocations as if he had gained a level in a previous divine invocation-using class. He does not gain any additional class features from this class; he gains an increase to caster level and new invocations only. If he possessed more than one invocation-using class previous to becoming a seeker, the he must choose one to increase.

Spells per Day: At each level except for 1st level, the seeker gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of seeker to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, and then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became a seeker, he must decide to which class he adds each level of seeker for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Arcane Angel: Upon making his pact with his angelic patron, the seeker is blessed within increased spell casting access for heavenly magic. The seeker may add the spells of the paladin spell list to his arcane spellcasting list, meaning he may select these spells for adding to his spellbook or to his spells known on levels where he may add new spells. If the seeker is a sorcerer, if he is not already of the celestial bloodline he may change his bloodline to the celestial bloodline, exchanging spells, feats, etc. Additionally, the seeker may use the Modanic Plate invocation to summon armor that he may wear without worrying about arcane spell failure.

Detect Evil Outsiders (Sp): The seeker is adept at finding his prey, and may use a supernatural sense to find them, which can be both blessing and curse for some. This spell-like ability functions exactly like detect undead except that it functions for outsiders of the Evil subtype instead and he may use it at will. At 5th level, the seeker may use this ability as a swift action. At 7th level the seeker may detect evil outsiders in a 60ft radius area, and at 10th level the seeker cannot shut this power off, forever generating a 60ft radius area of detect evil outsiders.

Favored Enemy (Ex): At 1st level, a seeker gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks against creatures of the evil outsider type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against them. A seeker may make Knowledge skill checks untrained when attempting to identify these creatures. This bonus improves to +4 at 7th level. If the seeker has levels in a class, such as ranger, then these bonuses do not stack; use the higher bonus from either class.

Graced (Su): At 2nd level, the seeker gains a measure of the grace enjoyed by paladins, receiving a +2 sacred bonus to his saving throws.

Arcane Invocation (Sp): At 2nd, 5th, and 9th level, the angelic patron of the seeker learns from his servant how to grant the seeker arcane spells as invocations. The character selects one arcane spell from his spellbook or his spells known and receives that spell as an invocation of a level he is capable of casting. 1St - 2nd level spells are least invocations, 3rd - 4th level spells are lesser invocations, 5th - 6th level spells are greater invocations, and 7th level spells are holy invocations (spells of 8th and 9th level are too potent for invocations). Spells with material components totaling 10gp or more and foci cannot be made into invocations, or spells with a casting time longer than one round. Seekers who cast arcane spells spontaneously lose the spell as a spell known, and may immediately replace it with another spell of equal level.

Celestial Touch (Su): At 3rd level, the seeker is capable of using the celestial light granted to him by his angelic patron to deliver his touch spells at a range of close (25-ft + 5ft/2 caster levels). He may apply metamagic to these spells as normal.

Demon Slayer (Su): At 4th level, the power of the heavens floods the body of the seeker to help him slay the beasts of the Lower Planes, infusing him with their holy power. When wielding a weapon or unarmed strike and using his Arcane Strike feat, the character's attacks are infused with the punishing might of the heavens, dealing an additional 2d6 points of sacred damage. The character may use his celestial light with this as well, if the character has the luminous blade invocation. This bonus damage cannot be multiplied by critical hits.

Aegis (Su): The aura of defense that many celestial creatures possess manifests with the seeker, proving him to be an agent of the heavens and divine weapon against evil that is rooted in his very soul. At will and as a move action, the character may erect a semi-visible shield of force composed of the very light of his soul, and he gains a shield bonus to his Armor Class equal to his 2 + 1/2 of his class level (+5 at 6th level, +6 at 8th level, and +7 at 10th level). At 9th level, the seeker may erect this Aegis as an immediate action.

Fiend-Killer (Su): At 8th level, the holy power suffusing the seeker improves upon his arcane spells and the ability to harm the denizens of hell. When using his arcane spells against a creature with the outsider (evil) type, the character gains a +2 sacred bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance or use antimagic effects like dispel magic, and her spells used against creatures of that type gain a +2 sacred bonus to saving throw DC's.

Arcane Herald (Su): As the agent of his patron's heavenly wrath against the forces of the Lower Planes, the seeker has mastered how to best combine the use of his weapons in the fight against evil outsiders. As a full round action, the character may cast both an arcane spell and use a divine invocation on the same turn 3/day. Additionally, he may attempt to expel possessing fiends with his touch as a full round action (which provokes attacks of opportunity), by making a Charisma check and adding his invocation-using class caster level opposing his opponent's Will save.

ErrantX
2012-11-17, 03:20 AM
Gave the class a little more demon-slaying oomph, by removing the angelic aspect class feature and replacing it with favored enemy. Additionally, swapped places for Aegis and Demon Slayer class features, to provide more demon slaying earlier on in the class.

-X

Elfstone
2012-11-18, 10:04 PM
Not sure if you want [my] critique, especially since I usually only do 3.5 work, but this intrigued me. I also always advocate for more functionality and an equal power curve (relatively equally useful abilities each level). Let me know if you do.

Arcanist
2012-11-18, 10:14 PM
Ha... I used to play that game... :smallredface:

ErrantX
2012-11-19, 10:24 AM
Not sure if you want [my] critique, especially since I usually only do 3.5 work, but this intrigued me. I also always advocate for more functionality and an equal power curve (relatively equally useful abilities each level). Let me know if you do.

The difference between PF and 3.5 is negligible at best. Chances are if it works for 3.5, it will work for PF. The only difference with this class as PF vs as 3.5 is the save progression and some skill names. Nothing else.

As far as your statement equal power curve? More or less. I think dead levels are the Devil and you should always get something each level, even if its small.

-X

ErrantX
2012-11-19, 03:45 PM
So... other than being a homebrew prc for a homebrew base class, does anyone have any critique to the power of the abilities, etc? I know it does require reading into the channeler base class, but if anyone has any critique for the abilities presented here, I'd love to hear them.

-X

Elfstone
2012-11-19, 06:11 PM
My comments bolded and underlined.

Prerequisites:
Any reason for a crumby feat like Alertness?

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier
Intelligence isn't a strong stat for them, and since they are going to want to keep key skills like Know Planes, Religion, and Percep along with Spellcraft maxed, I'd give em 4 per level but thats just me.

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The seeker gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.
No fun, thematic Exotic Weapons like the Jovar? :( oh well.

Favored Enemy (Ex)

I don't like the wording of Favored Enemy, and why WotC wouldn't have just said "You get +X against any roll made vs this" type is beyond me. Thats why I usually suggest changing the skills section to "Any skill check made against your favored enemy.". Unless you can think of a reason someone invested in hunting down demons wouldn't know how to tie them up, hide from, track, and talk their way out of tight situations..

Once again, just me.

Graced (Su): At 2nd level, the seeker gains a measure of the grace enjoyed by paladins, receiving a +2 sacred bonus to his saving throws.

To encourage people staying with the class, I'd make the bonus scale, to 2+Cha with a cap of 10, minimum 2. That way, even people with terrible cha get the basic benefit out of it.

Arcane Invocation (Sp)

Me gusta, no comments.

Celestial Touch (Su): At 3rd level, the seeker is capable of using the celestial light granted to him by his angelic patron to deliver his touch spells at a range of close (25-ft + 5ft/2 caster levels). He may apply metamagic to these spells as normal.

See above.

Demon Slayer (Su):When wielding a weapon or unarmed strike, (or/and?) when using his Arcane Strike feat,

Did I mention I like scaling? I'd add his class level to the damage as well. If not twice it.

Aegis (Su):

Perhaps it would be to much, but I would add 1/2-1/3 of his class level to the AC bonus. Being MAD when all anyone wants to be is SAD is tough on PCs.

Arcane Herald (Su)

I'd specify they don't get bonuses against the check, as I believe there are items/feats that help them resist expulsion like undead have turn resistance. I could be wrong. Probably. Maybe.

Hope it helped. I liked the class. Invocation users don't get enough love.

As a note, my longest online DM would be sad if I didn't mention his pet peeve with all pact making/invokers and the reason he won't let my group play them; the fact that the actual pact making isn't represented mechanically very well anywhere. Nowhere are there any drawbacks for such extreme power given away "freely". Just food for thought.

ErrantX
2012-11-19, 09:03 PM
My comments bolded and underlined.

Hope it helped. I liked the class. Invocation users don't get enough love.

As a note, my longest online DM would be sad if I didn't mention his pet peeve with all pact making/invokers and the reason he won't let my group play them; the fact that the actual pact making isn't represented mechanically very well anywhere. Nowhere are there any drawbacks for such extreme power given away "freely". Just food for thought.

Thank you very much for your go over. Most appreciated :smallsmile: I took into account your suggestions and I agreed with a few of them. I decided to keep Graced the way it is so it would step on the toes of Divine Grace so much. Tweaked Aegis and Demon Slayer.

As far as pacts and such go, honestly, that's more the job of the DM and the Player to work out storyline wise. I've never had a warlock (or Ebon Initiate, or Channeler) who didn't have to have a reason for their pact and obligations because of it. Enforced mechanical rules for it seem, well, forced. Alignment restrictions are only half the battle. I agree with your DM though, there does need to be obligation for that power.

-X