PDA

View Full Version : Summoner - Eidolon questions/houserules [PF]

SilverLeaf167
2012-11-13, 09:32 AM
Can the Eidolon's feats be changed in any way after being chosen? If not, it would be pretty silly to be able to change its evolutions but not feats. Would it be unreasonable to allow this as a houserule?
What about increasing the Eidolon's speed without adding more limbs? Would it be unfair to either houserule an evolution that adds, say, 20 ft. of speed but no limbs, or to simply use the Limbs evolution without adding any visual legs?
I think I had more questions, I'll add them later if they come to mind.

grarrrg
2012-11-13, 11:00 AM
Can the Eidolon's feats be changed in any way after being chosen? If not, it would be pretty silly to be able to change its evolutions but not feats. Would it be unreasonable to allow this as a houserule?

Feats cannot be changed.
Base Form cannot be changed (excepting Evolutionist Archetype).

As a houserule, I'd do something similar to the Fighter Combat Feat swapping:
"Upon reaching 4th level, and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, and so on), a fighter can choose to learn a new bonus feat in place of a bonus feat he has already learned. In effect, the fighter loses the bonus feat in exchange for the new one. The old feat cannot be one that was used as a prerequisite for another feat, prestige class, or other ability. A fighter can only change one feat at any given level and must choose whether or not to swap the feat at the time he gains a new bonus feat for the level."

What about increasing the Eidolon's speed without adding more limbs? Would it be unfair to either houserule an evolution that adds, say, 20 ft. of speed but no limbs, or to simply use the Limbs evolution without adding any visual legs?

This, you can have it LOOK however you want it to.

SilverLeaf167
2012-11-13, 01:20 PM
OK, the Combat Feat Swapping seems somewhat more reasonable, but the problem I have is that if I envision using Transmogrify and the other Evolutionist abilities to entirely change the Eidolon from one "mode" to another. For example, if it first were in "Aerial form", and I then wanted to change it into "Aquatic Form", feats like Flyby Attack would become both inappropriate and useless. This is why I thought being locked into one set of feats would be highly unpractical.

Maybe adding some high-level Evolutionist class feature that allows you to change your Eidolon's feats whenever you could change its evolutions would help? I personally don't see why it would be particularly unbalancing, as most of the Eidolon's power comes from evolutions anyway.