PDA

View Full Version : Developing a Rogue/Cleric's Character

Zovc
2012-11-13, 04:06 PM
I'm going to be starting a game with some friends this weekend as a level 1 Rogue (D&D 3.5, but I'm not hoping to discuss mechanics here). The character concept I have is that my character is a reformed criminal trying to re-purpose his skills for good.

Somehow, my character has come in contact with the Church of Calam (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/mirmeior/wikis/church-of-calam), and has had his perspective changed. He is currently delving deeper into Calam's history, and is learning more about Bareus (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/mirmeior/wikis/bareus) and his other prophets.

Come level 2, my character will take his first mechanical step along the path of a cleric. As a Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric 1, he'll be starting to form his own idea of Calam's teachings, as well as Bareus himself.

Further down the road, I'd like for my character to take the Leadership feat, coining the foundation of his own half-church, half-thieves' guild. My character will be the head of a Robin Hood-esque group of bandits who attempt to steal from the rich and give to the poor. Furthermore, they will also try to encourage the growth of smaller villages and hopefully improve the land by increasing commerce and diversifying power.

I like the name Otto, and I'm picturing a wiry, scruffy blonde fellow who always looks like he's about to play a joke on someone.

Psyren
2012-11-14, 09:36 AM
...Was there a question?

I'm going to assume you want general rogue/cleric fluff advice.

Your concept sounds fine. I'd basically look at various trickster/rakish gods (Brandobaris, Garl Glittergold, Olidammara, Cayden Cailean, Erevan Ilesere etc.) for dogmatic ideas. It sounds like you want a little mercantilism in there too, so gods like Waukeen, Vergadain, and Kol Korran are also worth a look. Meld in those two aspects and you should have no problems starting a Robin Hood church.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-11-14, 09:56 AM
I think these three questions will go a long way towards helping you define your character's arc.

Why are they a thief?
What nags them about their career choice?
What do they hope to find in the service of the Church?

DJDeMiko
2012-11-14, 04:46 PM
Rogue's don't have to be thiefs, they can just be people with a lot of interesting skills and good at dirty fighting :)

Concept wise, not sure what you are asking for, I'd say go inflict sneak attacks for fun and profit.

As to fluff, I don't know the god you mention, but i have trouble rationalizing a good god being ok with theiving. If they are then I am sure only from evil. Which would in my mind require a lot of research before you steal.

"You stole from the king?"
"Yes sir, but he has more money than he needs, so thats evil right?"
"Did you check his alignment"
"Uhhh, well no, I just figured"
"Had you used detection spells you would have seen that he is lawful neutral, you have just committed an evil act, good job buddy."

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-14, 06:04 PM
As to fluff, I don't know the god you mention, but i have trouble rationalizing a good god being ok with theiving. If they are then I am sure only from evil. Which would in my mind require a lot of research before you steal.

"Had you used detection spells you would have seen that he is lawful neutral, you have just committed an evil act, good job buddy."

(This is just what I got from the link in the first post) Greed is listed as a deadly sin that leads you down "the dark path" so taking from a neutral and greedy person could very well lead to their "salvation". Also, even if Calam didn't hold greed a deadly sin I can still imagine it being okay, he is Robin-Hooding afterall.

Zovc
2012-11-14, 10:25 PM
I think these three questions will go a long way towards helping you define your character's arc.

Why are they a thief?
What nags them about their career choice?
What do they hope to find in the service of the Church?

Thanks, this is the kind of direction I was looking for. Basic as it is. x.x

I'm having trouble going with something on all of those questions, for some reason.

I'm not surprised you haven't heard of the church, prophet, or deity. They're all fabrications for my friend's campaign, that's why I linked for those interested.

(This is just what I got from the link in the first post) Greed is listed as a deadly sin that leads you down "the dark path" so taking from a neutral and greedy person could very well lead to their "salvation". Also, even if Calam didn't hold greed a deadly sin I can still imagine it being okay, he is Robin-Hooding afterall.

Yeah, the idea is that I am doing good things with the things I steal. If stealing things automatically makes me Lawful Evil (or whatever you're implying), doesn't giving the stolen money automatically make me Lawful Good or something?

Anyways, let's say the deity/ideal I worship is Neutral, I can still be one alignment step away from it.

--

Anyways, here are the developments I've had regarding fluffing the character up.

I was talking with DM and said I was thinking my character would have an encounter with a member of the Church of Calam when trying to rob them. Essentially, they resist Otto's attempt, and he's kind of taken aback by their resistance and gets caught off guard. Rather than turn him in to any authorities, the member of the church tells him that he is free to go, but that they hope to see him again at Kaldar Harcourt, a Paladin from the Church of Aeolus's funeral. (Kaldar's funeral being the hook that brings the party together.)

In response to this, DM told me I am accidentally making Jean Valjean (http://youtu.be/wF3FX43F-7Y) from Les Miserables. Neither of us are opposed to this, but I'm not so sure that I want being branded a thief to be the reason I lived the life of a thief.