PDA

View Full Version : Need help with levels of enemies

Trodon
2012-11-13, 05:35 PM
Hi, I'm working on my own campaign setting along with a few new classes and some adventures that I'm writing. Anyway, I'm currently writing up an adventure for a level 6 party, with the BBEG being a wizard with undead minions. So here is where I need help: I have no idea what level to make him. I'm going to make him as if I was making a PC, sifting though many of the books that I have to see what I can come up with. But for a level 6 party with 4-6 characters, I have no idea what level he should be. So if the playground would be willing to help out someone who really needs more experience DMing, that would be wonderful. And thanks.

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 05:56 PM
It really depends on a couple factors:

Wich level the adventureres are supposed to be when they encounter the BBEG?

How difficult should the battle be?

How many (if any) bodiguards/minions will the BBEG have during his encounter?

That said, i could also suggest a Dread necromancer with the corpsecrafter line of feats as the BBEG. Works wonders as an undead-rising character and the most intresting abilities are gained around lvl 8.

Ranting Fool
2012-11-13, 06:11 PM
The level of BBEG's are often tricky, too low and the party will just stomp on them. Too high and they have access to things that will just stop the party (Wizards spells being a major part of this)

But if your BBEG is going to have undead minions he should be at least level level 7 to be able to cast Animate Dead. That said level 7 Casters are still a tad squishy.

Remember the BBEG doesn't have to be world destroying to be challenging, smart use of home ground (traps and ambushes, escape routes) and minions can make them a lot more dangerous then just their per zappy/hitty power.

Trodon
2012-11-13, 06:58 PM
Wow, quick replies thanks.

The party is supposed to be level 6, as for difficulty it's supposed to be a decent challenge at the least, the villain might end up being a returning character I'm not too sure yet, but it's not that likely. Number of minions, I figure with him there's only be a few 3-6 or so.

I was thinking of giving him Undead Leadership for a cohort bodyguard and a few minions but that might be the wrong way to go.

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 07:45 PM
Personally i'd go with somethign along those lines:

Human Dread necromancer 8

Feats:
H: Tomb-Tainted Soul
1: Corpsecrafter
3: Destruction retribution
6: Undead leadership

Highligts: (assuming 20 Cha, 16 base +2 item +2 levelups)
- 72 HDs of undeads under his control via animate dead
- 56 HDs of undeads under his control via control undead
- 8 HDs of undeads under his control via rebuke (command) undead
- Assuming he qualifies for special power, great renown, aloofness, cruelty has a base and causes the death of followers:
20 undead followers equivalent to 1st level, 2 to 2nd level, 1 to 3rd level, thanks to Undead leadership. Plus an ECL 6 cohort
- Assuming he creates undead in a desacrated area with an appropriate altar, all undead he creates have +4 enhancement bonus to Str and Dex, +6 Hp/HD and explode upon death for 1d6/2HD of negative energy (healing him and other undeads) in a 10ft raidus (reflex 15 halves).

With 163+ HDs of undeads you can populate everyting you need.

Trodon
2012-11-13, 07:50 PM
Personally i'd go with somethign along those lines:

Human Dread necromancer 8

Feats:
H: Tomb-Tainted Soul
1: Corpsecrafter
3: Destruction retribution
6: Undead leadership

Highligts: (assuming 20 Cha, 16 base +2 item +2 levelups)
- 72 HDs of undeads under his control via animate dead
- 56 HDs of undeads under his control via control undead
- 8 HDs of undeads under his control via rebuke (command) undead
- Assuming he qualifies for special power, great renown, aloofness, cruelty has a base and causes the death of followers:
20 undead followers equivalent to 1st level, 2 to 2nd level, 1 to 3rd level, thanks to Undead leadership. Plus an ECL 6 cohort
- Assuming he creates undead in a desacrated area with an appropriate altar, all undead he creates have +4 enhancement bonus to Str and Dex, +6 Hp/HD and explode upon death for 1d6/2HD of negative energy (healing him and other undeads) in a 10ft raidus (reflex 15 halves).

With 163+ HDs of undeads you can populate everyting you need.

Oh, wow. That looks just like what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 07:56 PM
Oh, wow. That looks just like what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

You are welcome.

I always tought Dread necromancer makes great BBEGs-in-a-can.
They are also less squishy then necromantic wizards: d6 HD, light armor proficiency, DR (4 bludgeoning and magic at lvl 8), at-will negative energy touch (healing himself thanks to Tomb-Tainted Soul), AoE negative enrgy damage, bonus to saves VS many conditions and even a fear aura.

Ranting Fool
2012-11-14, 03:58 AM
You are welcome.

I always tought Dread necromancer makes great BBEGs-in-a-can.
They are also less squishy then necromantic wizards: d6 HD, light armor proficiency, DR (4 bludgeoning and magic at lvl 8), at-will negative energy touch (healing himself thanks to Tomb-Tainted Soul), AoE negative enrgy damage, bonus to saves VS many conditions and even a fear aura.

Plus you know, it sounds Evil :smallbiggrin: