PDA

View Full Version : Bandit's Secret

SoliaTera
2012-11-13, 06:00 PM
I'm currently trying to create a character who's sole purpose is to steal the abilities of others and place them in a book for future use. Im looking to steal such abilities as (SU) (PSI Like) (EX) and (Spell like) and i was wondering what existing spells/feats/powers/templates could help me accomplish such a task?

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 06:26 PM
Ithillid savant fits the bill as far as crunch goes.

Spellthief somewhat does what you are lookign for.

SoliaTera
2012-11-13, 06:37 PM
what book is Ithillid savant in

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 06:44 PM
Savage Species. You eat people's brains to get their knowledge and abilities.

Gerrtt
2012-11-13, 07:10 PM
Worth noting that you have to be an illithid to be one.

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 07:50 PM
Worth noting that you have to be an illithid to be one.

Or use some dirty tricks to sneak in and qualify without being one. Likely to cause book throwing from the DM tho.

Gerrtt
2012-11-13, 07:56 PM
While I'm away from my book I can't recall what the pre-reqs are...what kind of tricks are we talking about?

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 07:58 PM
While I'm away from my book I can't recall what the pre-reqs are...what kind of tricks are we talking about?

Same ones allowing characters to qualify for beholder mage, PaO and similar stuff.

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 07:59 PM

Mind Flayer, Know: Arcane 10, and eating a brain.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-13, 08:15 PM
Actually, complete psionic might give a non-cheesy entry for other races.

Doesn't the capstone of flayer-spawn psychic say that you forever-after count as a mind-flayer? You won't finish illithid savant until epic without early entry shennanigans, but that might be a legit way in.

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 09:39 PM
No... doesn't look like it. Just a bunch of feats and some Psi Blast.

... and I'd rather eat the finest cheese imported from Italia than touch the CP. :smallsmile:

Not that you need to finish Savant. 5 Levels will let you sample a good number of abilities.

Emperor Tippy
2012-11-13, 09:47 PM
There is always Mind Rape+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Simulacrum+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Ice Assassin+Fusion+Astral Seed.

You can pick up any and every ability in the game as many times as you want, although it's quite cheesy.

As for Ithillid savant, it works but it is the single most powerful class in the entire game.

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 09:48 PM
It's also really cool. So damn cool.

docnessuno
2012-11-13, 09:58 PM
There is always Mind Rape+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Simulacrum+Fusion+Astral Seed. Or Ice Assassin+Fusion+Astral Seed.

You can pick up any and every ability in the game as many times as you want, although it's quite cheesy.

As for Ithillid savant, it works but it is the single most powerful class in the entire game.

We might as well go the full route and suggest manipulate form, leading into Pun-Pun.

Gerrtt
2012-11-13, 10:03 PM
I had a friend who was playing in an Epic game as one and the DM allowed him to have eaten the brains of 10 sufficiently powerful creatures in his backstory. Basically let him make whatever character he wanted. Cheap.

It also required him to have access to epic spellcasting and he came up with a custom spell that allowed him to instantly devour the brains of any dead creatures within 50 feet as if he had devoured them normally. The DM let him go for it too.

I suggested he start herding humans and make them take toughness as their feats. 50 humans with toughness twice later and you've got yourself 300 HP permanently for the price of one casting of an epic spell unless there's something wacky in there about not being able to steal the same feat more than once that I missed.

SoliaTera
2012-11-13, 10:11 PM
Couldnt you just be a channeling(la +0) and take the racial emulation feat and call it a day lol

limejuicepowder
2012-11-13, 10:18 PM
I'm currently trying to create a character who's sole purpose is to steal the abilities of others and place them in a book for future use. Im looking to steal such abilities as (SU) (PSI Like) (EX) and (Spell like) and i was wondering what existing spells/feats/powers/templates could help me accomplish such a task?

You wouldn't be a reader/watcher of Hunter X Hunter would you?

Gerrtt
2012-11-13, 10:18 PM
dndtools says that works for humanoids and mind flayers are Abberations (right?) so I don't think that would work.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-13, 10:22 PM
Couldnt you just be a channeling(la +0) and take the racial emulation feat and call it a day lol

Not at all. A changeling with racial emulation can mimic any humanoid creature he likes, but mind-flayers are abberations and consequently not a valid choice for the race or the feat to emulate.

SoliaTera
2012-11-13, 10:25 PM

Yes i would be my dear sir! :D

and what cheesy way are there to qualify for it without being a well you know

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-13, 10:30 PM
Yes i would be my dear sir! :D

and what cheesy way are there to qualify for it without being a well you know

I believe there are some 3rd party psionic powers that allow you to run Lucifer nicely. That guy is so badass.

SoliaTera
2012-11-13, 10:33 PM

I believe there are some 3rd party psionic powers that allow you to run Lucifer nicely. That guy is so badass.

What third party psiconics books are you speaking of and could you name those certain power and I KNOW!!

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-13, 11:02 PM
What third party psiconics books are you speaking of and could you name those certain power and I KNOW!!

I think they are all from Hyperconscious.
IIRC, the powers are called Thieving Mindlink, Feat Leech and Leech Power Known.

Spellthief kinda does it by default and it kind of fits his modus operandi, specially with Godsblood Spelltheft (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606).

There is a 3rd party class focused on stuff like this, as well - meet the Taskhaper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rite-publishing/taskshaper).

Hope it helps.