PDA

View Full Version : Best way to build a Blastificer?

Zelkon
2012-11-13, 07:38 PM
Starting level is 4. How do you think that I should build my blastificer? I get a free dragonmark at 1st level, along with my human bonus feat. Standard gold, and I'm planning to boost UMD to ridiculous levels as always. I want an item familiar as my 3rd level feat, so I guess all I have to do is pick my first level one. But, 1-20, what would you suggest?

Tvtyrant
2012-11-13, 08:05 PM
Depends on how much wealth you are willing to lay down.

The big goal is usually SR: No and no save. This raises your average damage because you never get denied, and makes sure your super expensive attack isn't wasted. The Orb of X line is good for this, as are some asteroid type spells.

Then you need to decide how much damage you want to do, which usually runs against money invested. A maximized wand of Orb of X costs 4 charges of 400 GP a shot. This does twice as much damage as a normal Orb of X for 4x the cost.

Keld Denar
2012-11-13, 09:28 PM
Seeking Ray does pretty good damage for it's level. Unlike most CL3 2nd level spells, Seeking Ray does 4d6 electric damage. This is the same as Scorching Ray, but different. First of all, its Electric, which is less often resisted than Fire. Secondly, it avoids all concealment, cover less than total, and isn't penalized for firing into melee. That's delightful. Third, it establishes a link between you and your foe for 3 rounds that gives you a +4 to hit with future Seeking Rays. Forthly, it is a ray, which means that Splitting it results in 2x as much damage for only a +2 metamagic adjustment (vs 1.5x as much damage from Empower for +2 or 2x as much damage from Twin for a +4). You can Split it with Metamagic Trigger from the Artificer class, or craft a Metamagic Wand Grip for relatively cheap. Swap out grips between combats as needed. 8d6 ranged touch a few times a day is pretty cheap and reliable damage throughout most of your low level career as a blastificer.