PDA

View Full Version : Symbiotic Creature

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 07:58 PM
Savage Species. Make 2 creatures... into one. :smalleek:

The smaller one has to be 2 sizes smaller, but you get it's mental stats. You get the bigger one's Physical Stats. Presumably you combine the LA of both, but only the HD of the larger. I guess you add class levels to the total.

So. Who's got some nice combos? :smallbiggrin:

Aegis013
2012-11-13, 07:59 PM
Savage Species. Make 2 creatures... into one. :smalleek:

The smaller one has to be 2 sizes smaller, but you get it's mental stats. You get the bigger one's Physical Stats. Presumably you combine the LA of both, but only the HD of the larger. I guess you add class levels to the total.

So. Who's got some nice combos? :smallbiggrin:

There was a thread awhile back by Sgt. Cookie about using that with the Dread Blossom Swarm. Credit where credit is due. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259833)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-13, 08:01 PM
And as I noted in that thread, this template is in the same book that gives advice on ad-hoccing LA. It's probably best to presume that if you put it to use, your DM will give you an ad-hoc LA based on a discussion you have with him on your particular pairing.

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 08:04 PM
And as I noted in that thread, this template is in the same book that gives advice on ad-hoccing LA. It's probably best to presume that if you put it to use, your DM will give you an ad-hoc LA based on a discussion you have with him on your particular pairing.

The +1 LA accounts for that. Unless you are going for some Incarnate Construct negative LA, the combined LA of the Creatures should cover it.

Morcleon
2012-11-13, 08:33 PM
A fun monster to use for this would be Choker/Chronotyryn. Arguably gets the choker's quickness for each round of the chronotyryn's two actions. :smallamused:

Much fun with the giant bird's Sorc 21 casting... :smallbiggrin:

Aegis013
2012-11-13, 08:42 PM
A fun monster to use for this would be Choker/Chronotyryn. Arguably gets the choker's quickness for each round of the chronotyryn's two actions. :smallamused:

Much fun with the giant bird's Sorc 21 casting... :smallbiggrin:

You'd have to be a Large size race to symbiote up with a Choker, or a Gargantuan race to use the Chronotyryn. Might be hard pressed to find a Gargantuan race with LA that isn't ruinous.

But Choker might still work.

Morcleon
2012-11-13, 08:45 PM
You'd have to be a Large size race to symbiote up with a Choker, or a Gargantuan race to use the Chronotyryn. Might be hard pressed to find a Gargantuan race with LA that isn't ruinous.

But Choker might still work.

No, I mean Symbiotic them together. Wouldn't be that good for a PC (what with the choker's Int 4), but would be freaking awesome as an encounter. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Aegis013
2012-11-13, 08:46 PM
No, I mean Symbiotic them together. Wouldn't be that good for a PC (what with the choker's Int 4), but would be freaking awesome as an encounter. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Oh. Oooooh. I misunderstood.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-13, 08:50 PM
Oh. Oooooh. I misunderstood.

What is that, like 4 standards, 2 swifts, and 2 move actions every turn?........ By the gods :eek:

Snowbluff
2012-11-13, 09:36 PM
Oh Morcleon... lol
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/147/508/Rainbow%20Dash%20Awesome%20Face%20by%20wakabalasha .png

Morcleon
2012-11-13, 10:08 PM
What is that, like 4 standards, 2 swifts, and 2 move actions every turn?........ By the gods :eek:

Yep! :smallwink:

Now, if you turned it's Sorc 21 into Psion 21, and gave it Synchronicity and Schism... :smallamused:

Oh Morcleon... lol
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/147/508/Rainbow%20Dash%20Awesome%20Face%20by%20wakabalasha .png

Indeed. Morcleon Industries (TM). Bringing you a lack of action economy since whenever-the hell-I-started-playing-D&D. :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-13, 10:23 PM
Right here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863774/Symbiotic_Creature_Template_-_Handbook), which includes the abomination that is the Half-Fey Greenbound Quasit guest. (Do note however, that doesn't actually work per the Type Pyramid in Savage Species p142-143.) Most of the template tricks in that guide do work, though.