PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Content [3.5] [PEACH]

Nivellios
2012-11-13, 11:18 PM
I haven't really found any good collection of homebrew content (please, if someone knows of one, point me to it XD), so I thought I might as well post some of my own. If anyone else has some, please feel free to share :). And PEACH, please XD

Wondrous Items

Steam Gates
Functions exactly like Ring Gates, except for a few differences. Steam Gates allow steam to pass through, and the diameter can range from 1-12 inches. In addition, Steam Gates can only be used for a duration of 3 minutes per day. This duration can be split up however the user wants. Activated/De-activated via a Command Word.
Medium Conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, teleport; Price 10,000 gp; Weight 1/2 lb. each.

Discussion: The extremely lowered cost comes from the fact that were using a teleport spell instead of a gate spell (hence the low duration / day). I guesstimated the price based on normal Ring Gates; caster level of 9 x spell level of 5 vs. caster level of 17 x spell level of 9 (not entirely sure how Ring Gates cost so little when, according to my calculations, they should cost somewhat near 250K, but whatever :/ Maybe its the material amount limit / day). This brings us to 12K, and I then multiplied that by 80-90% due to the limitation of only steam. These are meant to power steam devices in the field, by having one end attached to a boiler in a remote location, and the other attached to whatever device one would want to use.

Accumulator
This interesting little gizmo is enchanted to produce a small amount of steam over time. It is very handy in small gadgets which only require a miniscule amount of steam to function, but don’t have the room for a steam gate, or simply don’t require enough steam to warrant a steam gate. The Accumulator produces about a lb of steam pressure in 1 minute, and functions constantly. The Accumulator itself is composed of a couple cogs and various other mechanical devices, and can easily fit in someone’s palm.
Minor Conjuration; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, create water; Price 1,000 gp; Weight 1/2 lb. each.

Discussion: This item uses the srd creation rules to create the price (0-level spell (1/2) * caster level * 2000 = ½ * 1 * 2000 = 1000). Not entirely sure about the rate though, open to suggestions there.

Nivellios
2012-12-02, 03:56 PM
Components

Steam Engine

A steam engine is used to translate steam pressure into mechanical power. They cost different amounts depending on the size of the engine.
Small : 50 : can power a small fan (a diameter of about 5 ft)
Medium : 300 : enough to power a standard motor car at a constant rate of about 10-15 mph
Large : 800 : go run that giant steam-powered train of yours
Above Large : WHY WOULD YOU EVEN NEED THIS

Nivellios
2012-12-02, 03:57 PM
Weapons

Steampunk Shotgun
Composed of a Steam Gate, pressure chamber for pressure buildup, and a barrel where the shot is loaded in. Pulling the trigger mechanically opens the area between the pressure chamber and the barrel in order to release the steam pressure, blasting the shot. Deals 1d6 damage / round charged, up to 5 rounds (charging being the amount of steam pressure buildup). After 5 rounds, a pressure sensitive valve starts to release any extra buildup of pressure/steam. Charging is turned on/off by turning the Steam Gate on/off. Normal Steam Gate limitations apply. Shoots in a 15 ft. blast.
Price 10,100 gp (including the Steam Gate cost)
Shot Price 1 gp each

Discussion: Pretty self-explanatory here. BTW, I'm assuming that any Steampunk gun weaponry can be enchanted like standard ranged weaponry.

Nivellios
2012-12-02, 03:58 PM
Vehicles

reserved for later

Nivellios
2012-12-02, 03:59 PM
Armor

reserved for later

Nivellios
2012-12-02, 04:04 PM
Contraptions

Salt Boiler
A little something we created in our campaign. We live on an island, and have 10 or so of these under our city. Salt water gets pumped in, and a continual heat source under the boiler slowly boils away the water (takes quite a bit of time), continually producing steam for our use. After a cycle is finished, the remaining salt is collected and used/sold. When salt is considered a luxury, this is quite a nice way to earn money :)
Price to build: ~100 each? (IDK, i'll edit this later, can't remember the exact price off the top of my head)

Amechra
2012-12-02, 04:56 PM
Components

Steam Engine

A steam engine is used to translate steam pressure into mechanical power. They cost different amounts depending on the size of the engine.
Small : 50 : can power a small fan (a diameter of about 5 ft)
Medium : 300 : enough to power a standard motor car at a constant rate of about 10-15 mph
Large : 800 : go run that giant steam-powered train of yours
Above Large : WHY WOULD YOU EVEN NEED THIS

For your steampunk starship, of course.

Nivellios
2012-12-03, 01:13 AM
True, true XD