PDA

View Full Version : Paladin and Dragon Shaman Healing Feat. P.E.A.C.H.

Raazan
2012-11-14, 10:27 AM
I have a Dragon Shaman playing the healing role. I decided to create a feat that would improve his Touch of Vitality class feature, and decided to include Lay on Hands in that description as well. Here is My current idea for a feat.
(name undecided. if anyone has a good idea for a name, please post it)
Prerequisite: Lay on Hands or Touch Of Vitality Class Feature
Benefit: add +4 to your effective Paladin or Dragon Shaman level for the purposes of Lay on Hands or Touch of Vitality (So if you are a 6th level Dragon Shaman, you would count as an 8th level Dragon Shaman for the number of hit points you could heal, wether you could heal conditions, etc.).
Special: You may take this feat more than once: it's affects stack. if you have both Lay on Hands and Touch of Vitality, you must choose which one to apply the feat to each time you take the feat.

Any comments on prerequisites and effect, I'm new at this, so don't be afraid to comment on any gaping holes in the feat.

Garryl
2012-11-14, 11:21 AM
This effectively adds 2x your Cha mod to your healing pool (4x for Dragon Shamans). At low levels, that will be 8-10 hp, peaking at about 22 at level 20 if you focus solely on Charisma (which is difficult for both classes to do due to comparable or greater dependence on other stats). That is about as much as a Cure Light Wounds or Cure Moderate Wounds spell, which isn't much. Dragon Shaman gets twice as much, but it's still only the effect of 2 low-level spells per day instead of 1. By contrast, a Healing Belt heals 27 hp/day, regardless of level and Charisma, and has a low cost even at low levels (750g is much less than a feat).

The ability to heal additional conditions for a Dragon Shaman is a nice touch, though. Unfortunately, Paladins just can't benefit from that aspect, and Dragon Shamans just get to heal all of the conditions they can ever heal all at once at level 11, so it's very binary (you either get to heal them or you don't). Maybe give some additional conditions to heal (even for Paladins) or better ability to use your Lay on Hands/Touch of Vitality (such as using it as a swift action instead of a standard, using it at range, or healing multiple allies at once).

Raazan
2012-11-14, 07:31 PM
@Garryl
How about allowing paladins to heal conditions at the same exchange rate, and dragon shamans (or paladins taking this feat a second time) get to reduce that exchange rate.
Here are the exchange rates
For every 5 points of your healing ability you expend,
you can cure 1 point of ability damage or remove the dazed,
fatigued, or sickened condition from one individual.
For every 10 points of your healing ability you expend, you
can remove the exhausted, nauseated, poisoned, or stunned
condition from one individual.
For every 20 points of your healing ability you expend,
you can remove a negative level or the blinded, deafened, or
diseased condition from one individual.
and heres, my idea
Every time you take the feat, you reduce the cost for curing a disability by 2 points of healing (minimum 1).
I could improve it to +3 levels, but Improved turning only gives 1, and Spell Penetration Gives +2 caster level, but only for peircing spell resistance.

TuggyNE
2012-11-15, 12:58 AM
I could improve it to +3 levels, but Improved turning only gives 1, and Spell Penetration Gives +2 caster level, but only for peircing spell resistance.

The examples are both opposed checks for potential save-or-dies, while this is an additional source of HP; they are not really comparable.

I could reasonably see giving a full +4 levels with every feat, or +3 levels with exchange rates and swift action use.