PDA

View Full Version : magical equipment

Chaos018
2012-11-14, 11:08 AM
small question, how does one determine the market price value of an armor or weapon if one wanted an item with the effects of spells? For example, a cloak of Sirine's Grace is a cloak made to mirror some or all the effects of the 3rd lvl druid spell, Sirine's Grace. What I would like to know is how do you price something like this?

Archmage1
2012-11-14, 11:12 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Creating_Magic_Items

Telonius
2012-11-14, 11:17 AM
Keep in mind that those are only guidelines. Custom magic items always need DM approval. (The infamous "Item of continuous True Strike" is a good example of why they need to be handled case-by-case).

Diarmuid
2012-11-14, 11:43 AM
An item that mirrored that spell on a continuous basis would normally be calculated per the "continuous spell effects" formula of (caster level * spell level * 2000) * 4 (spell duration measured in rounds), or in this case 360,000gp.

If you break the various benefits of the spell up into their component parts, you could look to price it this way:

+4 Cha
+4 Dex
Deflection bonus to AC (based on Charisma)
+8 Perform
Swim Speed
Water Breathing
Freedom of Movement (with regards to attacking underwater)

Some of those are simple to calculate using the magic item creation guidelines, others are not so simple.

+4 Cha :16k

+4 Dex :16k

+8 Perform :19.2k (+8 skill bonus (competence) normally would be 6.4k, but as it's unnamed I tipled the cost. Going by the saving throw bonus guidelines, changing from the most common bonus type to a less common doubles the cost, making it unnamed should further increase the cost.)

Deflection Bonus to AC : minimum 8000, but probably should be 18k-32k. The cha boost from the item alone guarantees a deflection bonus of +2, but you have to somehow account for the wearer's existing charisma also coming into play. I would probably price this at the halfway point between the cost of +3 and +4 deflection bonus to AC (25k)

This puts you at 76.2k before taking into account the costs for multiple abiltiies on the same item or the other nonstandard abilities the spell gives.