PDA

View Full Version : OOC: Harbingers of the Silver Flame



Mantid
2012-11-14, 02:43 PM
In Character Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14222917)
Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259980)


Prologue from Recruitment Thread:
Prologue:

From the journals of R’Tsifalamhz

21st day of Eyre, 989 YK

“Hereitic,” the dwarf Galstuf screamed, pointing at my companion.

“Enough! This council believes the sincerity of the Warforged’s testimony. As for this R’Tsifalamhz, we detect no deceit on his part,” the elven Cardinal, Ul’Lisu, declared, though her earnest attempt at my name sounded more like ‘Rats Flames’.

“However, we are not foolish enough to believe such an evil creature has means to deceive even our ears and hearts. Therefore it is our decision that this creature will be taken into custody until we are certain of its intent. The warforged called 'Priest' will also be held until that time. We cannot allow him to walk free when he as has potentially been contaminated by evil, nor can we destroy him if he truly does hold a spark of the Flame inside him.”

I made no moves of resistance as the guards lead me away. There was no telling how long I might be kept in holding while the leaders of the church debated my sincerity. I had no reason to resist. Submitting to these trials were all I could do to help the priests understand that the light of the Sliver Flame had truly filled my being.

8th day of Sypheros, 995 YK

It was a surprise to see Ul’Lisu at our cell door. Beside her stood a stern faced human in fine armor, Jarrius, an Inquisitor of the church.

“The Silver Flame has use of you,” Ul’Lisu said.

“Our conversions have been confirmed then?” Priest asked.

“You have caused no trouble in the last six years and have succeeded in pasting the tests each year,” Jarrius replied. “Tests, I add, that are intended for those entering the priesthood. Even without the rigorous instruction they receive, both of you have succeeded far better than many of prospective priests.”

He handed me a scroll detailing the creation of a new organization in the church. One designed to enter the deepest parts of the cesspools of iniquity and destroy the festering evils at their root, at places so dark, the light of the flame would not normally be able to reach.

“I hope you can accomplish all that I expect of you,” Jarrius added.

11th day of Barrakas, 997 YK

For a year and a half I have worked to develop the rituals necessary for the Harbingers of the Silver Flame. I have stayed stoic through it all. For countless ages I have wallowed in iniquity and being asked for face that past again, to gaze back into the dark abyss and retrieve power and tools I had only recently abandoned at bottom of its depths, terrifies me. The power I once wielded is an addicting thing. The lure of returning to it is great. But my new faith has kept me strong, I have endured it.

As I prepared the ritual for the initiates of this new order, I realized many of those who would soon enter the chamber would be much like me. Faithful purified, heading the call of service to the Silver Flame, but who might not be able to find their place in the church; converts who can find no other place for their skills and past lives; purified haunted by sins they feel they can find no forgiveness for otherwise; purified who are willing to embrace evil to destroy a greater evils; and others with motives I can only imagine.

18th day of Nymm, 998 YK

The Harbingers of the Silver Flame have received our first orders. It is sooner that I expected and not what I expected, but it is our opportunity to prove we are steadfast in our devotion to the Flame and it's mission.

The adventure begins at last.

Campaign Info:
System: D&D 3.5
Player Count: 4~6
Style of Play: PbP
Allowed Content:



Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Compete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Dragon Magic
Dragonmarked
Dungeon Master's Guide (whoa!)
Eberron Campaign Setting
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Faiths of Eberron
Five Nations
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Lords of Madness
Magic Item Compendium
Magic of Eberron
Miniatures Handbook
Player's Guide of Eberron
Player's Handbook (duh?)
Players Handbook 2
Races of Destiny
Races of Eberron
Races of Stone
Races of the Wild
Secrets of Xen'drik
Spell Compendium
The Forge of War
Tome of Magic
Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords
Other sources by approval


Character Creation:


Backstory: One or two paragraphs at least. Needs to be a follower of the Silver Flame.
Additional Character Detail: Provide some reason your character would be willing to associate with evil to help destroy evil. This could be part of the character background, personality, motivation, etc.
Experience: 15,000 xp (Level 6)
Wealth: 13,000 gp
Ability Scores: 28 Point Buy
Hitpoints/Health: Fixed (Max at 1st, 1/2 at even levels, 1/2+1 at odd)
Alignment: Any Good

Other Notes:

All charcter receive the following feat for free (does not count as one of your feats):
Harbinger of the Silver Flame
You pact with R’Tsifalamhz allows you to change your alignment to evil for the purposes of spell, class, or item requirements and for determining the effects of spells, special abilities, skills, or any source. Your true alignment does not change and you are still bound by any requirements of faith, oaths, or magical effects or compulsions already affecting you.
The campaign will start with a short RP session about the PCs first meeting with Rat's Flames. This takes place a little less than a year before the campaign starts, before you characters have the Harbinger of the Silver Flame feat or any evil feats/level/etc gained from it's effect.
All character classes are welcome. Not all of them have to be rouges of experts at deceit and trickery. Not everyone need to bluff; in many of the places you will be heading, you'll be more suspicious if they think you're telling the truth. And when it comes time to bust some heads, you'll likely be surrounded by enemies. Better have some strong sword arms on hand.
No flaws or traits


Players:
{TABLE]Player|Character|Race|Class|Color
mistformsquirrl|Arcutia (Ari) (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449091)|Human|Crusader/Swordsage|Red
Saskia|Aria Eriksdottr (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=464847)|Gnome|Bard|Blue
Guigarci|Zal Thomir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=466891)|Human|Fighter/Rogue/Swordsage|Indigo
Nihilarian|Ko (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=469510)|Changling|Shadowcast er/Conjurer|Slate Gray[/table]

Notable NPCs
{table]Name|Race|Role
R’Tsifalamhz (Rat's Flames)|Pit Feind|Leader of the Harbingers
Priest|Warforged|Second-in-command of Harbingers
Jarrius|Human|Inquisitor, Overseer of Harbingers
Galstuf|Dwarf|Clergy, Overseer of the Harbingers
Ul'Lisu|Elf|Cardinal, Overseer of the Harbingers
Reddirk|Human|Paladin of the Silver Flame
[/table]

Chapter 1 NPCs
{table]Name|Race|Role
Reng|Human|Aundair Soldier, Decedent of Demon Hunters
Dalton D'Lyrandar|Hlaf-Lef|Dragonmarked Captain
Turmfarr|Human|Barbarian Sakah
Shirage|Rashaka|Rashaka
K'poork|Half-Orc|Carrion Tribe Raider
Gre'hiht|Half-Orc|Ghaash'kala Ranger
[/table]

If there is any other information you'd like me to add to this first post for quick reference, just let me know.

As stated in the recruitment thread, the first part is about a little less than a year before the start of the campaign. I'd like to wrap it up next week and move on to the meat of the campaign.

Everyone get your character's color chosen and have fun.

Nihilarian
2012-11-14, 02:53 PM
Slate Gray seems appropriate for Ko.

Saskia
2012-11-14, 04:01 PM
She's small and only has an 8 in intimidate anyway, blue is good for Aria :smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2012-11-14, 04:32 PM
Red works well for Ari <^_^>

Gildedragon
2012-11-14, 06:02 PM
Zal speaking in indigo strikes me as appropriate.

Nihilarian
2012-11-14, 09:11 PM
Zal's the big guy. The little one's Aria.

Mantid
2012-11-14, 09:25 PM
Woops. Yeah... Aria, not Zal. :smallredface:

Nihilarian
2012-11-17, 10:44 AM
Pretty interesting. Really getting a feel for the characters personalities.

Saskia
2012-11-18, 12:02 AM
I agree, it's looking interesting so far.

Gildedragon
2012-11-18, 01:24 AM
Yeah. I do wonder what sort of missions this'll get us involved in.

Saskia
2012-11-20, 10:52 PM
Edited my post because I missed a significant point. Derrrrp I am good at literacy.

mistformsquirrl
2012-11-21, 02:46 AM
Lol, Zal stole Ari's potential martyrdom >_> While she'd never admit it out loud, she's kind of ticked about it. (Posting this here incase my IC comment doesn't make sense >.<)

Gildedragon
2012-11-21, 03:11 AM
Lol. Damn. Sorry, will be. when I stop laughing. It would have meant a lot to her.

Mantid
2012-11-21, 06:23 PM
And yesterday I thought I'd be posting the start of the adventure. :smalltongue:

Should start having more free time starting tomorrow, so I should be a bit more active in DMing. :smallredface:

Mantid
2012-11-23, 05:44 AM
Pardon the double post. Editing doesn't really give notifications and didn't want to push this into the campaign thread.

Later tonight I'll be jumping the campaign forward several months to your first official mission if no one was has any last questions or RP to do today.

Gildedragon
2012-11-24, 06:15 PM
Question: how much would a book on the demon wastes cost, if available at a lightning rail station or some general bookstore? Not necessarily an accurate one, but something to read on the trip and provide highly sensational info on the land.

On that note, a deck of playing cards?

Saskia
2012-11-24, 09:51 PM
Also books on customs and etiquette of the barbarians of the demon wastes, carrion tribes and ghaash'kala clans both, if available.

Mantid
2012-11-24, 10:16 PM
You can get a deck of cards for a gold piece. Might be a little cheap when a piece of paper is 4 silver...

As for a book about the Demon Wastes? You probably would only find passing mention of it in a book about the continent in general, but for anything more detailed, you probably would have to go to a more scholarly setting. It isn't exactly a popular tourist destination.

Saskia
2012-11-25, 12:05 AM
Do we have access to a good library and time before we have to leave?

Mantid
2012-11-25, 10:00 AM
You have a couple hours and being the Demon Wastes the church would have information on it at the Great Chathedral, which is also where Ul'Lisu's office is.

In an unreated note, I didn't realize there is no lightnig rail from Flamekeep to Fairhaven... well *BAM* there is now! :smalltongue:

Saskia
2012-11-25, 02:16 PM
I'd like to spend as much time as is reasonable digging for information on the demon wasters' customs then.

Gildedragon
2012-11-25, 03:32 PM
You have a couple hours and being the Demon Wastes the church would have information on it at the Great Chathedral, which is also where Ul'Lisu's office is.

In an unreated note, I didn't realize there is no lightnig rail from Flamekeep to Fairhaven... well *BAM* there is now! :smalltongue:

Ha! I was wondering about efficiency of going all the way down to the last station in common between those lines. Less worry about being stuck on a train for days.

Mantid
2012-11-28, 03:09 PM
Just to let you all know, work is holding me up on updating. Slowly getting my next post typed out, but probably won't be up till late tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Sorry for the delay. :smallfrown:

Saskia
2012-11-28, 03:42 PM
No worries! Thanks for the update, it's much appreciated!

Nihilarian
2012-11-28, 05:47 PM
The velociraptor has the right of it. Take your time.

Gildedragon
2012-11-28, 09:39 PM
It's all cool.

mistformsquirrl
2012-11-29, 06:30 AM
I swear Mantid, I'm on a hot streak lately - I haven't rolled under 14 between this game and the other in 3 days. (Not at all complaining!) - 28 for intimidate - either that guy is going to pee himself a little bit, or he's an incredibly tough customer >.>

Mantid
2012-11-29, 12:49 PM
Impressive!

Unfortunately you just tried to intimates a paladin... who's immune to fear. :smallfrown:

mistformsquirrl
2012-11-29, 02:20 PM
<. .> Ah crap. >.> Damnable class features!

Saskia
2012-11-29, 06:22 PM
Damnable rolls, why can I not get them to work? Bluff [roll0]!

EDIT: Do they just not work in the IC threads now or am I just doing something terribly wrong?

Gildedragon
2012-11-29, 06:45 PM
...I am glad Zal's well and clear of that situation.

Mantid
2012-11-30, 09:02 AM
Yeah, umm, sorry about that Guigarci.

Gildedragon
2012-11-30, 02:44 PM
Sorry? Don't see what for.

Saskia
2012-11-30, 02:53 PM
Hey I'm just sayin, occasionally diplomacy is wasted breath :smalltongue:

Nihilarian
2012-11-30, 06:49 PM
You already posted that.

Mantid
2012-11-30, 06:51 PM
Oops. Didn't think it went through when the forums went down on me. :smallredface:

Saskia
2012-11-30, 06:58 PM
Sure there's more to deception than bluffing, but only if you get your target to make the right assumptions first :smalltongue:

Gildedragon
2012-11-30, 07:09 PM
On that note: is bluff the right skill to be using? Other than Aria we haven't told any lies*. Disguise?**

*i for one am more than happy we have a decent truth-spinner
**Not that Zal is any good with that either. He'll be paying attention to how the gnome's deceit works and learn until L7 comes around.

Mantid
2012-11-30, 07:30 PM
Well, he is bluffing that you are Cyre refugees being assigned by someone to help at the coast, so that works. Not sure bluffing covers faking an accents though... that's probably Perform(Acting) or something. Cyre has been destroyed for four years at this point, so it's certainly reasonable that the refugees might be losing their accents as they live in other nations.

Haven't tried to sale him anything hard to believe, so he certainly believes you're sincerely clueless as to what's going on... which, for the most part, isn't much of a lie, you only know a couple things he doesn't.

Saskia
2012-12-03, 03:44 AM
Are there any easily accessible areas with a good view of the village where Aria's singing can be heard? Like a central bell or clock tower? With 200 ft/round running I suspect she can cover more than enough ground to get there quickly if there is such a place, and with 14 con I'm hoping she can get there with breath to spare to sing.

The plan is to get to a high place where she can see everything, use message if she needs to get soldiers, militia, and the party in defensible positions close enough to hear her sing, and ultimately give all of the defenders the benefit of inspire courage for the duration of the fight.

Is that reasonably doable?

Mantid
2012-12-03, 09:04 PM
Most of the building in the village are simple, single story affairs. The only building that has any height to it is on the east side of the village, apparently some combination of a bell tower and watch tower.

Saskia
2012-12-04, 04:50 AM
Okay, how far away is it and how dispersed are the defenders and how many enemies of what composition? Can any of that be determined yet?

Mantid
2012-12-04, 06:29 PM
To keep things moving along, I'm just going to direct the party that direction. :smallwink:

Saskia
2012-12-05, 04:45 PM
Aria's going to cast mirror image for [roll0] illusory copies of herself as she moves through the church and up the stairs. When she gets to the top of the bell tower she's going to use Minor Image, which gives her 100 cubic feet and sound that cannot replicate speech to work with.

It would be a one, lol.

Saskia
2012-12-05, 04:57 PM
Oh also bluff [roll0] and intimidate [roll1] if I need them.

Nihilarian
2012-12-05, 05:45 PM
Where are the rest of us?

Mantid
2012-12-06, 01:40 AM
You are coming up behind the soldiers, who are just entering the edges of the village and are headed to the center of town, which seems to be where the fires from the shoreline end.

Gildedragon
2012-12-06, 01:53 AM
Do we see any of the invaders?

Mantid
2012-12-06, 01:56 AM
Now that you are at the bottom of the hill, you can't see the invaders. You can year yelling and screaming ahead, and it is in the direction of their landing crafts.

Nihilarian
2012-12-07, 01:32 PM
That... was pretty awesome, Aria.

Saskia
2012-12-07, 04:21 PM
Minor image really is one of the best spells :smallcool:

Checking the stairway to make sure there's nobody to listen in, and if not she'll/I'll/whatever'll be casting message, targeting the party members, provided they're within the range of 160 feet.

Also on a side note, the PHB says "When you whisper, the whispered message is audible to all targeted creatures within range." Would you say that includes speech or as written, only whispers? The context of the spell description seems to assume you might only use it to transmit things you don't want others to hear, but that's not necessarily the case and could be useful (and logically defensible) if everybody in the party was able to listen in on each others conversations too. If not that's fine of course, just seems ambiguous to me and wanted to make sure I was working with the same understanding as the DM is :smallbiggrin:

Gildedragon
2012-12-08, 05:43 AM
Yeah. Scare them back to their ships and across the sea!

Mantid
2012-12-08, 09:24 AM
For message, I would say that whispering is the trigger for the spell. Normal speech remains the same, so you could talk to someone else nearby and not have your words transmitted. That's my take at least.

In either case, the other party members are father than 160 feet.

As for Nihilarian's question about illusions, I think it is fair to roll for disbelieving an illusion simply by seeing it if you have a reason to believe it isn't real. You probably wouldn't have trouble believing an illusionary wall hiding a door, for example, but you might question some giant owls sitting on a chruch.

Nihilarian
2012-12-08, 01:39 PM
Will Save: [roll0]

Saskia
2012-12-08, 05:55 PM
Okay, cool. Looking out around the town, what can I make out regarding the conditions of the fight? How dispersed are the defenders and attackers, what condition do the overall forces seem to be in, all that jazz?

Mantid
2012-12-09, 11:58 AM
On combat, would you prefer that I simply tell you if an enemy attacked you and missed so that you can write out your own dodge/block/parried/whatever as befitting your character, or would you rather I write that up in the enemy's actions?

Nihilarian
2012-12-09, 01:04 PM
Whatever you feel most comfortable with is fine.

I can't believe I rolled a 1 on initiative in the very first battle. Anyway, I think I can keep these 4 occupied for a bit.

Gildedragon
2012-12-09, 03:35 PM
Initiative [roll0]
Whichever works for you.

Saskia
2012-12-09, 10:54 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Saskia
2012-12-11, 12:49 AM
Diplomacy [roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2012-12-12, 03:23 PM
I knew this would happen! >_< All those good rolls in the other game, and now I get a natural 1 in combat... Zal, I really, really hope Mantid is kind and does not make me inadvertently hit you <'x'>

Gildedragon
2012-12-12, 03:52 PM
Hahaha. No good deeg goes unpunished they say. As long as I get a chance not to get sliced up I'm okay with the possibility (hopefully the chance being based off the attack roll and not the damage).
This sort of thing is what makes combat fun.

Saskia
2012-12-13, 04:35 PM
Well... at least her sword is silvered? :smalleek:

Saskia
2012-12-15, 08:01 PM
Is everybody alive?

Nihilarian
2012-12-15, 08:26 PM
I died >.>

Was waiting for Gui to go first because I rolled a 1, but I'll post now and we'll sort it out later.

Gildedragon
2012-12-15, 08:28 PM
Alive nuff

mistformsquirrl
2012-12-16, 08:27 AM
I'm alive >.>

Mantid
2012-12-16, 09:19 AM
I'm here. Got distracted Friday, was at a family Christmas party yesterday.

So. Barbarians. Smelly, aren't they?

Nihilarian
2012-12-19, 04:29 PM
She's not going to be enjoying it much longer. Creatures passing through the Wall of Smoke must make a DC 14 Fortitude Save or be nauseated and lose their action.

Luckily, I had my familiar disperse the smoke because I knew this kind of thing would happen. I'm not sure if my action takes place before yours or not though.

Gildedragon
2012-12-19, 04:33 PM
I think it does, there was talk of Ko going to te top of the initiative dogpile.

mistformsquirrl
2012-12-19, 06:08 PM
It's fine either way >.> I'm just playing her personality heh - if it were me, I'd have hung back and waited; but Ari's a fanatic - this is what she lives for, and she's pretty confident in this situation too.

Aaaand it didn't work out for her this time; but that's OK, that's the kind of mistake she'll need to make to learn that being hyper aggressive isn't always a good idea. >.>

Also my rolls have normalized <x_x> Sad, I was hoping to keep the high rolling streak going a bit longer.

Saskia
2012-12-19, 07:49 PM
The idea of the single minded fanatical warrior pumped with adrenaline getting dizzy in the fog is pretty funny though :smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2012-12-19, 08:08 PM
Oh certainly <_<b

mistformsquirrl
2012-12-21, 11:24 AM
Oh wow, managed to hit him even on that terrible a roll? <@[email protected]> awesome. (Also apparently Ko did go first so whew... no nausea for me >.> though this does mean Ari's not going to learn anything from this...)

Mantid
2012-12-21, 12:12 PM
Technically that barbarian was still entangled when you attacked him, so he had a -4 penalty to dexterity and they are only in hide armor, so a 14 was a clean hit. It was just cooler to describe him as having broken free just to meet your sword. :smallbiggrin:

Although you did almost miss when I rolled for the concealment from Ko's familiar-whirlwind... :smallredface:

Nihilarian
2012-12-21, 12:40 PM
I really messed up their day, huh? Greased up, entangled and blind... That's gotta suck. And know everything's on fire...

Will the whirlwind put the fire out?

Mantid
2012-12-21, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it'll just be that 5 foot area that burns out. The rest of the barbarians are stuck with it. *rimshot*

Saskia
2012-12-22, 08:19 PM
Messed up their day like a line of tanks messed up a picnic, yeah. lol.

Mantid
2012-12-27, 12:19 PM
Kinda forgot about all this in the holidays. Well it happens.

Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware that since this is an Eberron campaign, action points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm) are standard. You each have 8 of them available for this level which add 1d6 to any one d20 you roll.

Gildedragon
2012-12-27, 12:38 PM
Cool. Ill keep that in mind. Hope y'alls' winter feasts were delightful

Saskia
2012-12-28, 03:19 AM
No worries, it's a perfectly valid excuse to forget :smalltongue:


Cool. Ill keep that in mind. Hope y'alls' winter feasts were delightful

This. How was/is everybody's holiday?

Nihilarian
2012-12-28, 10:44 AM
Schedule slips prevented me from spending much time with family. Otherwise ok. Read Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

Mantid
2012-12-28, 02:18 PM
I was unfortunate enough to work both Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning. Had fun once I finally got a chance to celebrate with the family though.

Mantid
2013-01-02, 08:05 PM
Alright. Should be able to get back to regular update now. Hope you all have safe and happy holidays and happy new year!

Saskia
2013-01-02, 08:52 PM
Aw, sucks you had to work the eve AND the day of :smallfrown: At least it wasn't all day though, right?

Oh, fort 1d20+4

Saskia
2013-01-02, 09:16 PM
Oh right can't add a roll I am good at this

[roll1d20+4[/roll]

Wow I really am bad at this.

Saskia
2013-01-02, 09:18 PM
One more time...

[roll0]

Mantid
2013-01-04, 02:32 AM
Added some more names to the NPC lists in the OP for reference.

Gildedragon
2013-01-04, 11:45 AM
How badly beaten up does red look?

Saskia
2013-01-04, 11:01 PM
Fortitude! [roll0]!

Wow, really? Two 20 fortitudes in a row, but apparently swatting at the bat with a blindfold :smallamused:

Nihilarian
2013-01-12, 03:25 PM
Ari's going to have a tough time of it once we actually go undercover. Maybe we should pretend she's our dupe.

Gildedragon
2013-01-12, 03:36 PM
Perhaps, but maybe its good it is gotten out of the system early on.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-12, 06:16 PM
Yeah, that's the part I've always been a bit worried about with this character - she's very... aggressive. Part of her character development will be tempering that aggressiveness, but it's not something she's going to do on her own - something's going to have to happen to change her methods a bit.

Otherwise she's just going to be essentially a human wrecking ball when it comes to evil critters >.>

Nihilarian
2013-01-12, 06:52 PM
Don't worry. If you wait just 4 more levels then I'll grab Dominate Person and it won't be an issue any more.

Saskia
2013-01-13, 03:13 AM
Four more levels and I'll have dominate person too :smallamused: I guess we won't have to fight many humanoids after that. Anyway odd character quirks and flaws are what make things interesting :smallbiggrin: With a dedicated caster, an infiltration specialist, and a dedicated social operator I suspect the rest of the party can at least figure out ways to not die until Ari learns discretion. Hopefully. :smalltongue:

Mantid
2013-01-14, 01:21 AM
I'm remembering why I didn't use Initiative in my Pbp campaigns in the past. I used to run them with actions taking place in the order they are posted and the NPC always moving last.

After this combat I think we will switch to that. I know at least one of you has class features that give an initiative bonus, so we should talk about alternatives to those features or feats. :smallconfused:

Gildedragon
2013-01-14, 01:23 AM
You mean Zal when you say Ko in the IC post?

And that'd be me with the initiative bonuses.

Mantid
2013-01-14, 01:25 AM
Yes, I do... keep getting those shadow maneuvers mixed up with shadowcasters... :smallredface:

And it looks like everyone but Saskia has initiative bonuses. :smalleek:

Gildedragon
2013-01-14, 01:46 AM
Heh. yeah Shadow magic, shadow hand... they should compare notes.

Saskia
2013-01-14, 02:25 AM
Aww yeah, lovin' that +0 initiative modifier :smallcool:

Also I'm gonna use the badge of valor (I missed the 3/day earlier, using one of the daily uses though), so guys you've got inspire courage for +2 to hit, +2 melee damage, and +2 on saves against charms or fear effects.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-14, 08:10 AM
<^o^> Mr. Zakya is so nice, hitting me for precisely enough damage to give me my maximum hit/damage bonus, while not going much over.

Oh, I also have an initiative bonus from my 2 levels of Swordsage.

Nihilarian
2013-01-14, 08:56 AM
I'm also at +0 initiative.

Gildedragon
2013-01-15, 09:42 PM
did it cast a spell adjacent to me? AoO?

Mantid
2013-01-15, 10:22 PM
It was a quickened spell-like ability. Doesn't provoke an AoO.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-16, 08:16 AM
Drat, I think I just missed with Revitalizing Strike >< Hopefully it's got crap for AC or something.

Mantid
2013-01-20, 09:02 AM
Slow DM is slow. :smallredface:

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-20, 12:51 PM
Is OK >_>

One thing though: <@[email protected]> I don't think I have DR/1 - I maybe didn't splain my Delay Damage pool very well.

It works like this:

The first 10 damage I take in a round goes into the pool - I'll take that damage at the beginning of my next round if I don't do something to prevent it. In the meantime, I get bonuses for how much damage is in the pool. Any damage over 10 just goes straight to my HP.

So this round I took 4 damage straight to HP, didn't take the delay damage from last round due to the +10 Temporary HP from Stone Power, and but my delay damage pool has been refilled so if I do nothing, I'll take 10 damage next round + whatever the Zakya dishes out.

<@[email protected]> (If you already knew all that, my apologies)

*edit*

Oh yeah, I can give myself DR 5/Adamantine with an ability, but that only lasts one round >.> in case that's where you were getting that from.

Mantid
2013-01-20, 01:10 PM
I assumed you put on the east Iron Ward Diamond that Aria gave you earlier. It gives you DR 1/-.

The 14 damage is after the 10 damage went to Ari's damage pool. He actually hit her for 26 damage, 9 on the first hit and 17 on the second.

If I'm counting right, Ari should have 14 HP left, if I'm counting right.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-20, 01:43 PM
Oh, somehow I missed the item <@[email protected]> (feeling dumb) - In my defense, I have not felt well for awhile >.<m

Gildedragon
2013-01-20, 07:17 PM
damage for zal's thing, taking into account the 3 from SA:
[roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-22, 12:05 AM
I am so so so lucky... >_>

Thanks to Revitalizing Strike and that last Cure Light Wounds I've ended the battle only down 8HP from my max. <^_^>/ AH AM INVEENCEEBLE! >_>

Mantid
2013-01-22, 12:23 AM
So, for "Quick to Act", I'm thinking that a bonus to reflex saves in place of intitiative is a good canidate. It keeps the quick reflexes idea in and doesn't need a big rework of the ability in the class.

Gildedragon
2013-01-22, 01:01 AM
Sounds good, now all I need to do is get evasion and...

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-22, 07:32 PM
Works for me <. .>b

Gildedragon
2013-01-22, 09:29 PM
So how far away is this boat thing?

Mantid
2013-01-22, 10:38 PM
About 280 feet. At about 100 feet, movement is halved due to depth. At 240 you will begin to swim.

The abandoned beached boat is about 200 feet away, however it is unlikely it can be used with only a crew of four.

Mantid
2013-01-27, 01:31 PM
Just to let you guys know, I haven't abandoned you. I've been sick and was running a high fever yesterday and this morning. I'll get this game rolling again soon. :smalleek:

Nihilarian
2013-01-27, 03:27 PM
That's all right.

I think we'll have to give up on the boat barbarians. Unless someone has a bit of pointy metal I can give to my familiar so he can rush out and put a hole in their boat.

Saskia
2013-01-27, 03:45 PM
No problem! Being sick has a way of disrupting other things.

I have a longsword for a Small character, does that count as a pointy bit of metal? Also, if we really wanted to go the "disable the boat" route you could give your familiar a torch unless it'll automatically extinguish the flame. With all the pitch and tar and whatnot the fire would easily spread wildly from the riggings to the decks and sink the ship, then we'd just need to retrieve the goods.

Nihilarian
2013-01-27, 08:38 PM
Why do we have to retrieve the goods? And how could we retrieve them from a burning ship?

Saskia
2013-01-27, 08:50 PM
Why? Because <in character reasons>. How? Wait for them to abandon ship and take it from the survivors as they try to swim or escape in life boats.

Mantid
2013-02-04, 09:47 PM
Oh, missed Guigarci's post. Well, Reng is going to be unconscious anyhow, so not much to do there.

Let me know what your returning/donating and what your keeping (if only for now).

Saskia
2013-02-05, 12:27 AM
I think we're keeping the map and the magic gear and four earrings, and giving the rest to the town, right?

Gildedragon
2013-02-05, 11:17 AM
I'd be returning the dagger when he becomes conscious.

Nihilarian
2013-02-06, 08:41 AM
Same here with the ring.

Nihilarian
2013-02-08, 08:14 PM
I was in the middle of a post about Ko slipping away, hit the preview and saw Zal asking for help.

I said middle-aged, but I guess that's not really fair. A dwarf hits middle age at 50 and stays that way for 400 years.

Nihilarian
2013-02-09, 04:12 PM
I'm sick, don't wait for me.

mistformsquirrl
2013-02-12, 08:16 PM
Bwahaha... this is priceless >_< I'm half tempted to have *Ari* roll on the ground laughing, but that'd rather ruin the effect lol; fantastic idea Saskia - great thinking on your feet!

Saskia
2013-02-13, 02:38 AM
Thanks! Illusions: The best spells? :smallbiggrin:

Mantid
2013-02-25, 11:15 PM
The Rings of Communication. It's actually a mixture of the Ring of Communitcation from the Magic Item Compendium, and the Circle of Sound in the Eberron Campaign Setting book. Mostly the Circle of Sound though with the range of the Ring of Communication (probably should have used the other name).

The description from the Circle of Sound is "By whispering into one of the rings, the wearer can send a message to everyone wearing a ring from the same set." However the range is rather low I though (220 ft), so it's been upped to the 1 mile range of Ring of Communication. It also lacks the limitations of the message spell that the Circle of Sound has.

The MIC Rings of Communication acutally lets you eavesdrop on other wearers moreso than communicate with them. So yeah.

Nihilarian
2013-02-26, 01:25 AM
Then it would seem I was wrong.

Mantid
2013-02-27, 09:19 AM
So the plan is to just charge down the middle? Checking out the middle boat first then moving from there?

mistformsquirrl
2013-02-27, 09:32 AM
Charging down the middle is good plan <._.> Ari approves!

Nihilarian
2013-02-27, 09:38 AM
Ko has no ship preference.

Gildedragon
2013-02-28, 07:16 PM
Are there any ledges or the like near the two where Zal could hide?

Note; I wish I had a blowgun. Next purchase...

Mantid
2013-02-28, 07:29 PM
No ledges you might hide on, the cave walls are jagged, but relatively flat overall. The crates and piles of supplies provide amble, and easy, places to hide hear the pair.

Gildedragon
2013-02-28, 10:46 PM
Wanted to dope them. It wasn't happening though. I need more inhaled poisons.

Gildedragon
2013-03-02, 03:02 PM
Oh wow both are the same. Woot get [roll0] points of bonus cold damage... Provided 19 is a hit

Mantid
2013-03-04, 06:52 PM
Ari, not Aria is at the bottom of the walkway. The names are easy to confuse, but our battle ready, white haired crusader is hard to confuse for our lovely, singling gnome bard, even in the heat of battle. :smallredface:

Edit: The distance from the middle ship to the walkway to the storage is about 50 feet, and to the other ship is another 60.

It would take a round of running to get from the walkway (Ari & Zal) to the middle ship (Aria & Ko) and another round to get from the middle ship to the farther ship (Varguiles).

Mantid
2013-03-04, 07:09 PM
A little bump since people are jumping on the action while I'm typing some clarifications on distance and position.

Nihilarian
2013-03-05, 10:22 AM
Why in the world did you move me closer to the vargoilles?

Fortitude Save: [roll0]

Mantid
2013-03-05, 01:41 PM
Why? I just changed your target is how it worked out. :smallfrown:

Nihilarian
2013-03-05, 07:51 PM
Well, I'll accept it this time but...

The barbarian seems to be melee, and is blocked by Zal. The Vargoille's, not so much, and even if they were, Aria took the time to tell us not to let it touch us.

When you changed my action, you brought me within range of an affect that could have killed me. Had I failed the save, I'd be susceptible to either the Vargoille's kiss or even a flat out Coup De Grace. And there wouldn't have been a thing I could do about it. The choice to risk it or not was taken from me.

I understand the need to hurry things along, but if my action becomes void for some reason and you need to decide on a course of action for me, and the action you pick constitutes unreasonable danger, then I'd appreciate it if you reconsidered. If you don't want to wait for me (not unreasonable, given how slow PbP's are) I'd prefer it if you had my character take the safest course of action.

Nihilarian
2013-03-09, 05:11 PM
Is the captain leaving us stranded in the cave? There's no land exit and he's taking all the ships.

Gildedragon
2013-03-09, 05:35 PM
There's bound to be a land exit; how else would there only have been 2 barbarians for 2 ships?

Mantid
2013-03-09, 06:31 PM
Dalton and the Gallant are there for whatever you need them for, though Zal did thank him for the ride. :smalltongue:

There was room for three ships, and you only saw three raider vessels, one being left back at Midhome. The description from the cliffs: "The cliffs are dotted with round caves, the flowing, rounded rocks around their mouths informing you that they were likely formed from ancient flows of magma pushing out to the ocean. A number of these reach the water and could hide the barbarian ships"

There are caves all over... the raiders had to go somewhere.

Gildedragon
2013-03-23, 04:08 PM
Heya, this game's been a bit quiet... I think we're waiting on Kpoork's answer...

Saskia
2013-03-23, 04:23 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

Mantid
2013-03-24, 08:28 AM
Sorry, haven't been on for a couple days. :smallredface:

Mantid
2013-05-01, 10:24 PM
It lives!

I want to check on a couple things real quick:

Is Aria wearing the ring or not?

Can we decide on what the group did with the Zakya's sword. It kinda got forgotten, but I would hate to think it was just left on the beach. So can we decide, retroactively, what the four of you did with it? Carrying it with you, leaving it with someone, or whatever else you decide.

Saskia
2013-05-01, 10:47 PM
It lives!
Huzzah!


I want to check on a couple things real quick:

Is Aria wearing the ring or not?
Yes.


Can we decide on what the group did with the Zakya's sword. It kinda got forgotten, but I would hate to think it was just left on the beach. So can we decide, retroactively, what the four of you did with it? Carrying it with you, leaving it with someone, or whatever else you decide.
I was under the impression that Zal took it.

Saskia
2013-05-08, 06:54 PM
The passge is only slightly taller that feet and varies between two and three feet wide.

Slightly taller than... how many feet?

Mantid
2013-05-08, 06:57 PM
Oops. :smallredface:

Answer: Five feet

Nihilarian
2013-05-09, 12:58 PM
So everyone except Ari is inside the tunnel?

Zal and Ari should be able to flank this guy, then.

Saskia
2013-05-10, 12:46 PM
Man, the dice gods are not pleased with Aria.

Mantid
2013-05-25, 10:29 AM
I really need to do a better job at checking my spelling on weird words like "Rakshasa" :smallyuk:

Saskia
2013-06-01, 07:58 PM
Raw and bitter or tasteless? Sounds like a job for prestidigitation!

Mantid
2013-06-01, 08:18 PM
Raw and bitter or tasteless? Sounds like a job for prestidigitation!

What? And cheat yourself of the local flavors? :p

Saskia
2013-06-01, 08:26 PM
What? And cheat yourself of the local flavors? :p

Actually, that probably is the biggest reason she wouldn't. Since Aria places a lot of value on understanding different cultures, even if it's not pleasant she'd prefer to eat their way at least once.

Mantid
2013-06-10, 09:33 PM
I'll admit I've kind of lost track of what Ko looks like at the moment. I'm assuming he's male right now. :smallredface:

Gildedragon
2013-06-10, 10:01 PM
Ah changelings: all but impossible to remember what they look as at any given moment.

Nihilarian
2013-06-11, 07:53 AM
The last form Ko took was at area with the pirate ships, and he took the form of a male elf there, as thin as he could get it. He probably looks pretty emaciated.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-13, 10:11 AM
Just a heads up, I'm going to be gone this weekend - Friday, Saturday and Sunday I'll be at my brother's wedding; I should be back Monday. So if you need to NPC me during that time go ahead < . .>

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-16, 08:43 PM
And I am returned <^o^>