PDA

View Full Version : Hellbred Ur-Priest

barna10
2012-11-14, 03:43 PM
Would you allow a Hellbred of any alignment become a Ur-Priest using his Evil Exception ability to bypass the Evil requirement of Ur-Priest? Seems reasonable to me.

Psyren
2012-11-14, 04:14 PM
Well, by RAW, Evil Exception only applies to spells and items, but you could argue it.

The fluff suggests to me that good Hellbred Ur-Priests would be very difficult to justify. Ur-Priests reject the authority of the gods (especially the good ones) but Hellbreds are heavily indebted to them for a last-minute save. I could see a disillusioned Hellbred joining the Ur-Priesthood, but that wouldn't really be using his Evil Exception to enter, it would just be being evil.

So my roundabout answer is I'm not sure from either a rules or fluff standpoint.

One Step Two
2012-11-14, 04:18 PM
Aslong as you're using your Ur-priest powers to steal from Evil Gods, then sure, I suppose.

Urpriest
2012-11-14, 08:08 PM
Yeah, the guy would still have to be evil. Generalizing exceptions like that is sort of anathema to the concept of rules in general.

Tvtyrant
2012-11-14, 08:11 PM
Yeah, the guy would still have to be evil. Generalizing exceptions like that is sort of anathema to the concept of rules in general.

I'm not sure I agree with this. The rules are meant to create a framework for playing a game. Adding or removing rules does not alter the existence of a framework, it just changes the form that framework takes.

barna10
2012-11-14, 08:18 PM
I really don't see how it's that big of a stretch. He can easily take Spell Focus(Evil) and could easily pass as evil to fool an Ur-Priest into teaching him. Besides, why do Ur-Priests have to be evil anyway? Like someone mentioned above, he could steal from evil gods!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-14, 08:35 PM
I really don't see how it's that big of a stretch. He can easily take Spell Focus(Evil) and could easily pass as evil to fool an Ur-Priest into teaching him. Besides, why do Ur-Priests have to be evil anyway? Like someone mentioned above, he could steal from evil gods!

Ur-priests being evil is one of those rare cases of all the gods agreeing on something, since casters capable of stealing their power and using it more efficiently than their servants is a direct threat to their power-base.

By forcing them to be evil the good team gets a free pass to "off" them and the evil team garners no retribution from the good team for the same.

Innit nice when everybody gets along?

Note: the above doesn't strictly follow RAW, since by RAW alignment decides for itself who to tag and the gods don't get a say.

Answerer
2012-11-14, 08:46 PM
The Evil requirement on Ur-Priest doesn't make any sense whatsoever, seeing as there are literally just as many Evil gods as their are Good ones. You could maybe argue that it's a Chaotic thing to do, but really... well, Law and Chaos are dumb. Mostly alignment shouldn't apply to the Ur-Priest at all.

As for the Hellbred, I'd generally allow them to treat all Evil-aligned things as "using Evil against Evil".

Whammydill
2012-11-14, 10:06 PM
Isn't there an adaptation for Ur-Priest that allows you to draw latent power of a dead god? Couldn't that open the path for different alignments?

herrhauptmann
2012-11-14, 10:20 PM
Isn't there an adaptation for Ur-Priest that allows you to draw latent power of a dead god? Couldn't that open the path for different alignments?

There is indeed that alteration. If it's not in the urpriest entry, it's in Lost Empires of Faerun. I don't think it says you could then play a different alignment, but that'd be a reasonable request.
Probably a lot better than asking for hellbred, or saying you're a LE cleric of a dead LG god.

Alleran
2012-11-14, 10:32 PM
There is indeed that alteration. If it's not in the urpriest entry, it's in Lost Empires of Faerun. I don't think it says you could then play a different alignment, but that'd be a reasonable request.
Probably a lot better than asking for hellbred, or saying you're a LE cleric of a dead LG god.
I believe in that case there's also a feat ("Servant of the Fallen" or something) that allows you to draw power from the aforementioned corpse-god, so I personally would rule that in exchange for doing so and dropping the Evil requirement, you have to take the feat. Basically replacing an alignment requirement with a feat requirement.