PDA

View Full Version : Rapier & hand crossbow build

Spuddles
2012-11-14, 06:08 PM
I saw on these forums a few months ago a competent rapier & crossbow build. I am running a campaign with drow, and would like to make some encounters with lost of getting shot in the face and stabbed in the guts.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I have a vague suspicion that it was gavinfoxx.

limejuicepowder
2012-11-14, 06:44 PM
This doesn't answer your question (sorry), but I do have another relevant question of my own: how does one go about reloading a hand crossbow, in combat, with a rapier in the other hand? That was the second thing I thought after seeing the rapier/crossbow combat style feat in Drow of the Underdark (the first was damn, that's cool).

Fates
2012-11-14, 06:59 PM
There's a feat in Drow of the Underdark called Versatile Combatant. Basically, it gives you TWF, but only for rapier+hand crossbow, and lets you attack people with a hand crossbow without provoking AoOs from nearby enemies.

Treblain
2012-11-14, 08:59 PM
This doesn't answer your question (sorry), but I do have another relevant question of my own: how does one go about reloading a hand crossbow, in combat, with a rapier in the other hand? That was the second thing I thought after seeing the rapier/crossbow combat style feat in Drow of the Underdark (the first was damn, that's cool).

Drop the used crossbow as a free action and Quick Draw a loaded one from your bandolier of pre-loaded hand crossbows concealed in your trenchcoat. Yes, it's exactly as stupid/awesome as it sounds.

If for some unfathomable reason you don't want to be Crossbow Neo, you could use magic; Ghostly Reload (RotD) is a 1st level spell that reloads it for you once per CL.

limejuicepowder
2012-11-14, 10:27 PM
Drop the used crossbow as a free action and Quick Draw a loaded one from your bandolier of pre-loaded hand crossbows concealed in your trenchcoat. Yes, it's exactly as stupid/awesome as it sounds.

If for some unfathomable reason you don't want to be Crossbow Neo, you could use magic; Ghostly Reload (RotD) is a 1st level spell that reloads it for you once per CL.

This rocks.

Another option would be to get a mod for your crossbow, making it a repeating hand crossbow. Then when your clip was empty, you can make a dexterity check to flip another clip off your belt and do the slow-mo-mid-air-not-touching-the-clip reloading trick, as seen in Kick Ass and Equilibrium (and probably others).

For this to work though, some sort of mask or dark sunglasses must be worn. Facial expression must resemble fine stonework.

TheTick
2012-11-14, 10:53 PM
Then when your clip was empty, you can make a dexterity check to flip another clip off your belt and do the slow-mo-mid-air-not-touching-the-clip reloading trick, as seen in Kick Ass and Equilibrium (and probably others).

For this to work though, some sort of mask or dark sunglasses must be worn. Facial expression must resemble fine stonework.

Agent Zero in X-Men Origins: Wolverine comes to mind there.

Spuddles
2012-11-16, 04:49 AM
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I should try a google search....

Agent Zero in X-Men Origins: Wolverine comes to mind there.

Does it have to? :smallbiggrin: