PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with the Halflings?

Anderlith
2012-11-14, 11:56 PM
So a little while back WotC released some art & background for the halfling. I didn't like it so I have come to the internet to complain! ... um I mean ask if I'm just a grumpy minority & everyone else in fact loves the halflings that are presented.

- I know it's just fluff, but fluff will inspire general playstyles, & overarching mechanics

My problem is that they are too much like hobbits culturally, & in some cases, in appearance. The halflings could use some uniqueness a more solid independant identity. One of the few things I liked about 4e was the riverboat halflings. To me it made some sort of sense that the halflings stature would be of benefit near the water. No huge river monsters, & they have smaller bodies so they can't go as far without water as other races, & stuff like that.

So comment below what's your opinion?

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 12:03 AM
I'd be happy to give my opinions (and I assure you, I have lots of them!) if you'd be so kind as to link to this. This is for 5E, I presume?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-15, 01:09 AM
Are you familiar at all with the halflings of the talenta plains in the eberron campaign setting?

Tribal, territorial, stoic dinosaur wranglers. Seriously.

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 03:21 AM
Don't let the Kender be forgotten about!

Someone please think about the Kender!

Although, I've never been forogtten about, I wonder if it feels any different than being remembered all the time. I mean I know people think about me because I don't feel like I've been forgotten about, but sometimes it seems like everyone wants to, especially when everyone plays 'Tie down the Kender.' That's a real fun game to play...

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 03:26 AM
The day I met my first Kender is the day I took up skeet shooting as a hobby. With the Kender as the pidgeon.

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 04:22 AM
And that's about par for the course...

Good thing I have Uncanny dodge and a really high Dex. :smallbiggrin:

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 04:23 AM
But that's why you make such good target practice!

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 04:33 AM
Cooperative skill building has never ben so much fun.

Anterean
2012-11-15, 05:00 AM

I vehemently disagree.

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 05:19 AM
My problem is that they are too much like hobbits culturally, & in some cases, in appearance.

You might remember how older D&D halfings were pretty much hobbits. It's almost as though the way they're developing 5E is taking bits and pieces out of older editions without any regard for the whole.

On the plus side, if you're unhappy with the new [old] halflings, WotC values your input!

At least, that's what they say.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 05:24 AM
I still can't find this thing the OP is talking about.

LibraryOgre
2012-11-15, 07:49 AM
"Forgotten about kender"... really, since 3e, they've been turning halflings into kender. Tribalist kender, but roving gypsy thieves? Yeah, they're kender without the tendency to talk about everything.

DigoDragon
2012-11-15, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I was pretty "meh" about Halflings overall so in my homebrew campaign world I rewrote them as being cousins to the fey and made them really savvy merchants and traders. My players love caravans of Halfling sorcerers to spend their money at.

Also, totally stole the Halflings from Dark Sun. Everyone loves a "people person". :smallbiggrin:

Reaper_Monkey
2012-11-15, 08:30 AM
I still can't find this thing the OP is talking about.

Same here, anyone care to educate us in the changes we're meant to be defending/criticising here? Halfings are those short people right? The ones with beards? :smalleek:

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 08:33 AM
Same here, anyone care to educate us in the changes we're meant to be defending/criticising here? Halfings are those short people right? The ones with beards? :smalleek:

No, silly, those are Duergar. Halflings are the ones with 6 arms and leet psionic powers.

Amphetryon
2012-11-15, 08:51 AM
You might remember how older D&D halfings were pretty much hobbits. It's almost as though the way they're developing 5E is taking bits and pieces out of older editions without any regard for the whole.

On the plus side, if you're unhappy with the new [old] halflings, WotC values your input!

At least, that's what they say.
I believe they're starting from that point and letting the concepts grow/evolve based on official feedback. (Because design-by-committee is always the best way).

To the OP, I think there are enough varieties of Halflings in the worlds of WotC, complete with their own fluff, that it's easy enough to choose the bits that fit the world you want to describe, and leave out the rest.

hamlet
2012-11-15, 08:54 AM

Someone please think about the Kender!

Although, I've never been forogtten about, I wonder if it feels any different than being remembered all the time. I mean I know people think about me because I don't feel like I've been forgotten about, but sometimes it seems like everyone wants to, especially when everyone plays 'Tie down the Kender.' That's a real fun game to play...

Oh, we have not forgotten about the Kender. Trust me.

We have a solution for the Kender. A "final solution" you might say . . .:smalltongue:

And before anybody gets the wrong idea, yeah, that was a joke.

Lentrax
2012-11-15, 09:28 AM
Oh, we have not forgotten about the Kender. Trust me.

We have a solution for the Kender. A "final solution" you might say . . .:smalltongue:

And before anybody gets the wrong idea, yeah, that was a joke.

A final solution? To what? I didn't realize we were trying to solve a problem, what is it? Can I help? Hey, what does this button over here do?

*click*

... Oops.

Yora
2012-11-15, 09:35 AM
What joke? Kender have to be erased from existance.

I don't really care about halflings, they tend to be either non-adventurers or Rob Schneider. I rather ignore them and have everything that could be interesting about them shoved over to non-tinker gnomes.

Joe the Rat
2012-11-15, 10:38 AM
Bold emphasis mine
I believe they're starting from that point and letting the concepts grow/evolve based on official feedback. (Because design-by-committee is always the best way).

To the OP, I think there are enough varieties of Halflings in the worlds of WotC, complete with their own fluff, that it's easy enough to choose the bits that fit the world you want to describe, and leave out the rest.

Now this is where we get into trouble. D&D has a monkey-barrel-load of official settings, each of which can sport a different flavor of Halfling, with a different style to their play. Their default Halfling (or anything else, for that matter) should be what works in their default setting - the generic fantasy which-may-or-may-not be Greyhawk one. They should probably aim for a common cultural core to start from, which lets the different settings define themselves as "Our Halflings are like this, except for..." or "our Halflings are nothing like this, except for..." (and so on for other races). This doesn't have to be an amalgam of the vote (40% hobbit, 22% kender, 17% cultural stereotypes, and a dash of misplaced gnome input, and maybe an original idea), but something closer to the mode. Making a popular exception the basis of the core changes the core, and the old unique exception becomes commonplace.

Kender? Dragonlance. Different flavors for different worlds. (Here's where I tangent into my issues with 1,001 "core" races, but the topic is Halflings).

Personally, I like them a bit Hobbity.

Tvtyrant
2012-11-15, 10:56 AM
If only they gave the Kender a burrow speed, then I could use them as mole people. Seriously, they usually live in holes! Mole people who ambush their goblin prey in order to devour them... :smallamused:

EccentricCircle
2012-11-15, 01:31 PM
The Article in question is located here:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20121107

From what it and other articles in this series say this is going to be the default Forgotten Realms halfling, with the Forgotten Realms becoming the new default setting for D&D in the way that Points of Light/ Nentir Vale was for 4e and Probably-Greyhawk was for 3e. Kendar, Talenta halflings, Athasian halflings and any others will still exist in their given worlds if wizards support those worlds.

Personally I'm not that keen on the new design, as they look too cartoony and exagerated. I don't particularly think that making them more hobbitlike again is a good idea, but I can see why they want to do it. Theres no release date for the new edition but its likely to fall either during the period over which the Hobbit films are being released or shortly thereafter. If the Hobbit proves as successful as the Lord of the Rings films then it could well boost interest in fantasy and D&D will want to benefit from that. Making their halflings more hobbitlike could be a deliberate decision.

However I think that they are going too far. Hobbits in Peter Jackson's movies are not cartoonish after all and don't have a bizzare nature motif.

snoopy13a
2012-11-15, 04:10 PM
I like them. The nature theme seems appropriate for a society of rustic villagers. Further, I think the larger heads do give the illusion of smallness and prevents them from being "mini-humans." Essentially, they seem like hobbits with tiny feet--and I understand why they have tiny feet.

And I did like the drawing of the hobbit halfling father and daughter returning from the fishing trip.

SgtCarnage92
2012-11-15, 04:32 PM
I think it still needs some work for sure. I do want to see them avoid the "mini-human" problem they were talking about, but I don't want to see the Halflings turn into Gnomes or Hobbits either. I like the general direction their going in, i'm not sure that he grossly over sized body parts are the way to go however. It makes them seem more awkward than I feel they should be.

Susano-wo
2012-11-15, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I like them. I can see the cartoony complaint, but I think that may hae to do as much with the art style as the design.

OracleofWuffing
2012-11-15, 04:45 PM
:smallconfused: Wait, I'm confused. I thought Halfings and Hobbits came from the same idea-genealogy?

Yora
2012-11-15, 04:51 PM
Yes they are hobbits, but in D&D they lost almost all of the Shire culture over time, especially starting with 3rd Edition.

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 05:03 PM
Yeah, they're kender without the tendency to talk about everything.

Well, that was the worst part about Kender, so it's worthwhile to let it slide.

Water_Bear
2012-11-15, 05:13 PM
Well, that was the worst part about Kender, so it's worthwhile to let it slide.

Wasn't the worst part about the Kender that they were pathologically lying kleptomaniacs who everyone loved for no clear reason?

But back on topic; I'm not sure what the 5e fluff for Halflings is, but saying that they are too much like Hobbits... is just too strange a complaint for me to comprehend. They are Hobbits, that's kind of their entire thing.

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 05:20 PM
It's a departure from the old art and fluff (which was itself a departure from the OLD art and fluff), and you know how people hate change.

Anterean
2012-11-15, 06:08 PM
Wasn't the worst part about the Kender that they were pathologically lying kleptomaniacs who everyone loved for no clear reason?

I seem to remember some fluff stating they where considered a worse plague than mosquitoes.
Other than that I agree

Anderlith
2012-11-15, 06:25 PM
Thanks EccentricCircle for the link.

This is what I'm talking about

Look at those... things... huge headed & lumpy, narrow shoulders. Why are they so narrow? & they have wide waists.

The nature motif is for elves. Not halflings. Give them something else. & they shouldn't be so unadventurous.

Susano-wo
2012-11-15, 06:51 PM
they seem to have a forest motif. nature is a big place. maybe elves will hae another motif :P

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 07:24 PM
The Article in question is located here:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20121107

Thanks!

with the Forgotten Realms becoming the new default setting for D&D in the way that Points of Light/ Nentir Vale was for 4e and Probably-Greyhawk was for 3e.

*headdesk*

Personally I'm not that keen on the new design, as they look too cartoony and exagerated.

I read this post before I went ahead and read the article, and I thought "Oh, it couldn't possibly be that bad."

Then I got to that first image of that girl with the whip and was all "HOLY ****ING **** KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!"

So what went wrong here? Let's go through the article step by step:

What was the issue about the halfling that haunted me? They were exactly what they were described to be . . . halflings, or half humans. I had the tendency to call them micro humans, and the biggest problem with them was the fact that I always had to tell the illustrator to put something in the image that gave them scale—otherwise they just looked like humans. SO frustrating!

Congratulations! You've finally figured out the basic problem with Rubber Forehead Aliens! Except your options are even further constrained because you try to avoid invoking real-world racial stereotypes and features like the plague (admittedly for understandable reasons), so everyone just turns out like deformed white folk. Only so many ways you can do that before everything just starts looking the same, or you take a nose dive straight into the deepest depths of the uncanny valley.

Do you notice that she feels small? Her head-to-body ratio changes our perspective of size. It's a subtle thing, but it tends to be quite effective.

No, she feels absolutely horrifying! The first time I saw something like that thing in real life, I'd do my best to smile and nod and try to avoid asking weird questions or vomiting. I certainly wouldn't think "Aww, how adorable and friendly and idealistically pastorale! I just wanna give you a hug!"

Some other stuff

...To be honest, I don't even really care. They're wood elves, except they're supposed to be "cute" instead of "mysterious." It's the kind of lame fluff writing I've come to expect from WotC to such an extent it doesn't even make me angry anymore when I see it.

The problem is, as always, they focus too much on the portrait instead of the world the portrait is supposed to represent. "Wood elves are mysterious" and "Halflings are friendly" sounds all well and good on paper until you realize it's all but meaningless in the context of an actual game. It doesn't help you to roleplay these characters or build stories around these cultures and societies.

OracleofWuffing
2012-11-15, 07:42 PM
they seem to have a forest motif. nature is a big place. maybe elves will hae another motif :P
Elves live on top of the forest, Halflings live on ground level of the forest, and Gnomes live under the forest. There, distinct motifs for everyone! :smallwink:

Water_Bear
2012-11-15, 07:47 PM
I just looked at the art and, wow, that's not good art. To sum it up in one word; aaaaaaaaaaaah! Seriously, I could see these as characters in the latest whimsical CGI movie du jour, but not in an RPG setting with Dragons and chainmail bikinis. And give them back the big hairy feet; that's literally their only identifiable characteristic other than being short, so if you're so worried about them looking too human why take it away?

On the plus side, I like the direction their fluff is going. 3e had a problem with overemphasizing the Halfling skill as Rogues into an entirely theft based culture, where it was even hinted in a splat that the Halfing deity was only pretending to be LG and was really CN. Hobbits were one of the most interesting and unique parts of Tolkien's books, and IMO the reason they're as popular as they are now, so paying homage to that is going to revitalize an otherwise one-note and boring race.

snoopy13a
2012-11-15, 08:02 PM
Nature does not necessarily mean deep forest. Rustic farmers who go to the fishing hole or take a hike in the woods can be in tune with nature.

Anyway, not everyone can be a hero. Someone has to grow the food :smalltongue:

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 08:06 PM
I seem to remember some fluff stating they where considered a worse plague than mosquitoes.

Lots of Dragonlance short stories (and longer ones) have the people in them reacting to kender much as we would, except with more murder.

Clistenes
2012-11-15, 08:38 PM
You know, I've realized I hate 90% of the "good races": The thieving faerunian haflings, the cleptomaniac kenders, the demented tinker gnomes, the prankster rock gnomes, the flatterer (kalamarian) forest gnomes, the aloof, vain elves, the emo Tanis-like half-elves, the even emoer Drizzt-like renegade drows...

The planetouched are like meh...

Dwarves are generally O.K., and I can probably tolerate those moth*******ng bastards, the humans, only because I am human.

Now that I think about it, I usually only play humans...

I'm a fantasy racist.

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 09:00 PM
It's a Faerun problem. They were too focused on giving each race 'character'.

PJ Garrison
2012-11-15, 09:26 PM
I think it's a step in the right direction. The 3E halflings that looked like adult-proportioned toddlers were just creepy and off-putting. This takes them a little closer to their hobbity roots, and makes them feel a little more like they're supposed to.

I still think the heads are too big and the feet too small, though. The mushroom hunters look pretty good (aside from the tiny legs), but the female thief looks freakish.

Ideally, I'm thinking along the lines of something that looks like a 4 foot tall Jonah Hill. :smallbiggrin:

hiryuu
2012-11-15, 09:54 PM
So comment below what's your opinion?

Well.

Right on the heels (ha-HA, pun) of "demon girls with huge breasts and tiny loincloths who lure men to their death with sex are a positive and totally original role model for female characters in media and isn't sexist at all!" comes "halflings don't look 'short' enough, so we gave them the proportions of a human midget in all our artwork."

Someone needs to make an "Oh, Wizards of the Coast, No" t-shirt in the vein of the John Ringo shirts.

I like Eberron halflings. Like, a lot. Those are the basic halflings in my brain.

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 09:55 PM
Right on the heels (ha-HA, pun) of "demon girls with huge breasts and tiny loincloths who lure men to their death with sex are a positive and totally original role model for female characters in media and isn't sexist at all!" comes "halflings don't look 'short' enough, so we gave them the proportions of a human midget in all our artwork."

Wait, they made succubi a PC race? Or is this just the new Tiefling artwork?

hiryuu
2012-11-15, 10:15 PM
Wait, they made succubi a PC race? Or is this just the new Tiefling artwork?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120502

Prepare to be enraged at blatant ignorance.

Here is a nice and rational response: http://www.sarahdarkmagic.com/content/look-sexism-fantasy

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 10:18 PM
Right on the heels (ha-HA, pun) of "demon girls with huge breasts and tiny loincloths who lure men to their death with sex are a positive and totally original role model for female characters in media and isn't sexist at all!"

What

fillerfillerfiller

Kalmarvho
2012-11-15, 10:21 PM
Ah, that.

Yeah, I was a big fan of the D&D comic, but I'd never frame Tisha as some kind of feminist icon in today's context.

Hell, I wouldn't even do that in the 50's.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 10:42 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120502

Prepare to be enraged at blatant ignorance.

Here is a nice and rational response: http://www.sarahdarkmagic.com/content/look-sexism-fantasy

Oh, that thing. Normally I wouldn't bother to try defending them but you're being more than a little unfair here: Tisha was presented in the article as an example of a controversial character depiction. In no way did he claim she wasn't sexist (though he didn't claim that she was either) or even that she was a role model, of all things.

hiryuu
2012-11-15, 11:28 PM
Oh, that thing. Normally I wouldn't bother to try defending them but you're being more than a little unfair here: Tisha was presented in the article as an example of a controversial character depiction. In no way did he claim she wasn't sexist (though he didn't claim that she was either) or even that she was a role model, of all things.

No.

He showed her so that two paragraphs later he could say "no, it's ok because she was all about making business decisions, therefore not sexist" and then snidely imply that if it's not DDs and chainmail bikinis, then it must be ugly.

That article is not about a serious discussion. It's about trying to shame the opposition into silence and it needs to be said. It's one more stick in the craw that indicates Wizards is not interested in addressing their fan base.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-15, 11:42 PM
He showed her so that two paragraphs later he could say "no, it's ok because she was all about making business decisions, therefore not sexist" and then snidely imply that if it's not DDs and chainmail bikinis, then it must be ugly.

Nonsense! Fs and nothing but band-aids can be very attractive.

I'm not gonna try to argue on this because, really, it's not something I can really get fired-up over. WotC is waaaaaaaaaaaaay down there on my list of "worst offenders of sexism in gaming."

hiryuu
2012-11-15, 11:58 PM
Nonsense! Fs and nothing but band-aids can be very attractive.

I'm not gonna try to argue on this because, really, it's not something I can really get fired-up over. WotC is waaaaaaaaaaaaay down there on my list of "worst offenders of sexism in gaming."

Also this probably isn't the thread for it. This thread is about halflings and how they look like CGI movie characters now.

I suspect the black sheep adventurer of the village is voiced by Jack Black.

Anderlith
2012-11-16, 12:30 AM
Also this probably isn't the thread for it. This thread is about halflings and how they look like CGI movie characters now.

I suspect the black sheep adventurer of the village is voiced by Jack Black.

Jack Black as a Halfing Bard... I think I need brain cleaner

hiryuu
2012-11-16, 12:37 AM

Silence, greatstrider giant! You must never underestimate the power of the eyebrow!

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-16, 12:39 AM

Isn't he already one?

Zrak
2012-11-16, 01:04 AM
Who cares about halflings, I wanna play an awakened adowable puppy totem!!!!!!!

Seriously, I could give or take the design of the halflings themselves, but the design of their stuff is awesome.

DigoDragon
2012-11-16, 07:52 AM
I read this post before I went ahead and read the article, and I thought "Oh, it couldn't possibly be that bad."

Then I got to that first image of that girl with the whip and was all "HOLY ****ING **** KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!"

Yeah, I'm not feeling the bobble-headed art design either.

Kitten Champion
2012-11-16, 10:46 AM
Reminds me of these guys:

http://www.misfittoys.net/gallery/rudolph/elves3.jpg

I've always thought the Halflings only truly worked within the themes and symbolism of Tolkien's work, and transferred poorly into D&D campaign settings. You don't need a whole race to express amiability and pastoral simplicity, you just don't.

The best Halflings are, in my opinions, those who break from Tolkien. Eberron and Dark Sun in particularly. There's enough of a distinction between them and the vanilla humans of the world that they're worth portraying as something else.

RedWarlock
2012-11-16, 11:13 AM
Well, I think they look fine. It's new, different, and very identifiable. I could see a dozen different established artists taking this concept for the race (proportions and structure, not the color/rendering) and drawing it in their own styles without losing the visual identity of the race.

If I get time later, I'll do that myself. Maybe you guys need to get away from that set of rendering styles to see more of the design's potential.

Blightedmarsh
2012-11-16, 11:25 AM
I have two kinds of halflings I Like the idea of.

1) A template for humans (or a generic small template for any race; halfling human/elf/warforged ectra).

2) Small savage and very hairy barbarians, sort of like humanoid wolverines. Belkar would be the shaved equivalent.

toapat
2012-11-16, 11:38 AM
I think this comes back to a simple problem:

Why add shortfolk if you are just going to make them hobbits? the default fluff for Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings is too generic and not actually separate enough to matter.

In my campaign setting, Dwarves are men of stone, who may or may not be living rock, Elves are immortal amazons, and halflings may or may not be included. Kobolds would be the lowest common denominator for Dragons.

Clistenes
2012-11-16, 04:41 PM
I think this comes back to a simple problem:

Why add shortfolk if you are just going to make them hobbits? the default fluff for Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings is too generic and not actually separate enough to matter.

In my campaign setting, Dwarves are men of stone, who may or may not be living rock, Elves are immortal amazons, and halflings may or may not be included. Kobolds would be the lowest common denominator for Dragons.

I'm OK with the short races (and with the other races) as long as they don't make them annoying or a joke.

I like the concept of the halflings as honest, good, hardworking country people with a core of steel; I'm OK with them being nomads (boats or wagons, I don't care) too...what I don't like is when they try to make them all natural thieves just because the rogue class is the one that fits them better. Not every race need to be 100% identified with a class, sometimes the race can be just background, like being from Perrenland or Almor or Tethyr or Amn.

As for the gnomes, what is with the prankter thing? Everybody I know hates that. It's as if they were purposelly trying to make the race dislikable! Couldn't the gnomes be left as a race of brainy, peaceful, nature loving artificers and mages? The elves already fill the role of the nature-loving mages, I know, but many people dislike elves because they are often so aloof, vain, arrogant...etc., so there is a niche for the gnome race there.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-11-16, 04:43 PM
Don't like the size of their heads, otherwise nothing to complain about for me.

Anterean
2012-11-16, 06:41 PM
Lots of Dragonlance short stories (and longer ones) have the people in them reacting to kender much as we would, except with more murder.

Hmm I don't seem to remember any of those incidents, then again it's been well over 10 years since I last read a dragonlance novel, and far from all of them have been translated to Danish.. Perhaps I should give them another look.

toapat
2012-11-16, 07:20 PM
*Snip*

Basically, while Dwarves have their nice seat in the natural Order of the universe in DnD, and humans are the baseline, the problem is that really, only Warforged actually fill a space that belongs in the Heriarchy of DnD storytelling. Elves suck in DnD because they have no real personality. Halflings and Gnomes too.

The reason why barbarian Halflings are prefered is because the act of making them non-bodyswitching humans makes them better as a race. Halflings typically get, when they get anything, a Racial identity of "To what lengths are you willing to go to survive?".

Elves are best when they are both not necessarily tree huggers (although this can itself be woven into their identity without problem, it is kinda expected anyway), but also bring up time based questions and ideas, such as how they dont look down on other races, but feel the other races are too short sighted.

Dwarves are best in terms of bringing up Socio-economic questions.

Gnomes i still dont have an idea asto what they are there for.

Illithids + Vampires i actually see as better races for the final slot. They both bring up the same question, but it is a good one: Are you truly evil, if the only way for you to survive is through taking the life of sentinent beings?

DontEatRawHagis
2012-11-16, 10:53 PM
Cannibal halflings, Dark Sun turning hobbits into awesome.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-16, 10:57 PM
Halflings are pretty good, but the gnome is far better.