PDA

View Full Version : Fleshgrinding Vampiric daggers

odigity
2012-11-15, 12:08 AM
Does a Fleshgrinding Vampiric dagger do what I think it does? Meaning, could you keep a half a dozen on you, and when combat begins, immediately start distributing them to the bellies of your various opponents, which not only continues to harm them, but also feed you HP while you continue to fight?

Yes, they'd cost 50k each. But still -- awesome.

Doughnut Master
2012-11-15, 12:37 AM
Or put them in your friends and turn them into human health batteries for your tank ;)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-15, 01:00 AM
Or jam one into a summoned minion with fast healing.

The prohibitive cost is the biggest problem with this one. 50k is not a small sum, even for high level characters.

Ketiara
2012-11-15, 02:40 AM
Or jam one into a summoned minion with fast healing.

The prohibitive cost is the biggest problem with this one. 50k is not a small sum, even for high level characters.

Wouldnt it make an unsuspecting minion turn on you? Or an animal companion for that matter.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-15, 03:32 AM
Wouldnt it make an unsuspecting minion turn on you? Or an animal companion for that matter.

Summoned minions can't turn on you. The summon spell compels them to obey.

Stabbing an animal companion or a called creature, however, is probably a bad idea.

Eugenides
2012-11-15, 04:41 AM
That's...just amazing.

Socratov
2012-11-15, 06:48 AM
why does this remind me of transfusion grenades from Borderlands (2)?

Sudain
2012-11-15, 11:49 AM
Love the idea. Amazing thinking.

Coidzor
2012-11-15, 12:54 PM
Raptor arrows are just corner casey enough that you might be able to take advantage of them.

I can't recall if arrows in general are destroyed when wielded as melee weapons or not, come to think of it.

Kazyan
2012-11-15, 02:31 PM
Could Artificer infusions make this temporarily feasible? *Does not know infusions. At all.*

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-15, 08:26 PM
Raptor arrows are just corner casey enough that you might be able to take advantage of them.

I can't recall if arrows in general are destroyed when wielded as melee weapons or not, come to think of it.
Unfortunately arrows used in melee are an improvised weapon. They're a ranged weapon for the purpose of magic item creation and as such inelligable for both enhancements.

Could Artificer infusions make this temporarily feasible? *Does not know infusions. At all.*
Yes actually. The weapon augmentation line temporarily grants a special ability of your choice (limit based on the level of the infusion) to a weapon. The casting times are abysmal, though, unless you're willing to spend a couple action points. Even then, it'd still take two rounds to charge it up. The duration's not too bad though, so as long as you knew you were going to need this you could be prepared before stuff hit the proverbial fan.

Rejakor
2012-11-16, 03:38 AM
I've often wondered how Fleshgrinding would work on a Kensai Monk.

Eugenides
2012-11-16, 03:47 AM
I've often wondered how Fleshgrinding would work on a Kensai Monk.

So I'm getting: Fleshgrinding Hands.

Or your preferred weapon is a bunch of throwing knives.

Rejakor
2012-11-16, 04:01 AM
Technically, a monk may unarmed strike with any part of their body. So your whole body would be fleshgrinding.

That said, is there any way of getting weapon enchants on things that ignores the melee only/ranged only thing? Maybe from Ancestral Weapon or some such?

Cause this trick sounds great with ranged weapons and terrible for melee weapons.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-16, 05:28 AM
Bloodstorm Blade (ToB) lets you treat thrown weapon attacks count as melee weapon attacks and gives any weapon you'd care to pick up a 10ft range increment.

Like I said, the big problem is that nasty 50K price-tag. Ancestral relic doesn't save you much money. Neither does Ancestral Daisho, if you'd care to take a dip in OA's samurai. Kensai can do it real good, just like he does with any other expensive combination of weapon properties, but he's limited to just the one; nevermind the alignment and RP requirements of the class.

Once again, artificer wins the game of who has the most money to throw around. Literally if you combine it with BsB. Though to be honest, a 3-5 level dip doesn't hurt an artificer nearly as bad as it would some classes. (1 for warblade then 2-4 BsB, depending on whether you'll be satisfied with thunderous throw or you demand lightning ricochet)

Spuddles
2012-11-16, 05:45 AM
Technically, a monk may unarmed strike with any part of their body. So your whole body would be fleshgrinding.

That said, is there any way of getting weapon enchants on things that ignores the melee only/ranged only thing? Maybe from Ancestral Weapon or some such?

Cause this trick sounds great with ranged weapons and terrible for melee weapons.

Your head burrows into your opponents chest as you shout "I DRINK YOUR BLOOD".

Rejakor
2012-11-16, 07:40 AM
Well, Lightning Ricochet kind of ruins the point of fleshgrinding.

Mostly I was just thinking that it would be great to have on a bow or some throwing knives cause of the pricetag.

Artificer with cost reduction wins the game on it's own regardless.

Rubik
2012-11-16, 07:57 AM
Technically, a monk may unarmed strike with any part of their body. So your whole body would be fleshgrinding.That's what s/he said.

Rubik
2012-11-16, 08:30 AM
Well, Lightning Ricochet kind of ruins the point of fleshgrinding.Add the splitting property?

The Random NPC
2012-11-16, 09:52 AM
Add Backstabbing (or was it Masterslaying) for fun and profit!

Sudain
2012-11-16, 01:48 PM
Your head burrows into your opponents chest as you shout "I DRINK YOUR BLOOD".

:smallsmile: Totally should get this on a vampire's teeth.

Rejakor
2012-11-16, 02:32 PM
Splitting only goes on ranged weapons. This would be a melee weapon being thrown.

Rubik
2012-11-16, 06:57 PM
Splitting only goes on ranged weapons. This would be a melee weapon being thrown.Any melee weapons that can be thrown [such as handaxes or daggers] are also ranged weapons by default.

toapat
2012-11-16, 07:44 PM
Well, if your party has a permantly employed super artificer, you can get 20 of these daggers for the cost of 1.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-16, 08:18 PM
Any melee weapons that can be thrown [such as handaxes or daggers] are also ranged weapons by default.

Magic daggers FTW!

It won't work for this particular combo, but my favorite ranged weapon is the atlatl in sandstorm. Throwing and projectile enhancements on the same weapon? Yes please. :smallbiggrin:

It gets a little ridiculous on a BSB tbh, but it's an awesome/silly mental image.

Rejakor
2012-11-16, 09:12 PM
Any melee weapons that can be thrown [such as handaxes or daggers] are also ranged weapons by default.

Text for this?

TuggyNE
2012-11-17, 05:59 AM
Text for this?

Melee and Ranged Weapons
Melee weapons are used for making melee attacks, though some of them can be thrown as well. Ranged weapons are thrown weapons or projectile weapons that are not effective in melee.

Seems reasonably comprehensive. (There's also a specific list of thrown weapons later.)