PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to get Haste without Items or Kobolds?

Lictor of Thrax
2012-11-15, 05:55 AM
I'm trying to build a Jaunter/Telflammar Shadowlord/Swiftblade.

I'm looking for ideas on how to get the best of those builds while synergizing the horrible dodge/mobility/ and then free Spring Attack that they all use.

In the end, the big problem comes down to being able to cast Haste. Every build I've found can't get haste until 6th level...which makes sense and all, since it's a 3rd level spell, but is there any subclasses or weird gimmicks that allow you to cast haste earlier?

I can't use items for this build because our DM is weird about items and I don't want to use the kobold stuff because I want to use a different race and our setting, anyhow, doesn't have kobolds as a PC race.

We're starting off at level 15, so there's a lot of room to work....but I haven't been able to find haste earlier than 6th level.

Malroth
2012-11-15, 06:03 AM
Trapsmith gains haste at a much lower level

Lictor of Thrax
2012-11-15, 06:06 AM
Trapsmith gains haste at a much lower level

But does it take about 5 levels to get trapsmith?

Not to be a bum...but is there no weird classes/acf's/ect that get haste as a spell real early?

All I need is the ability to cast haste before 6th level.

ahenobarbi
2012-11-15, 06:07 AM
Firstly wizard 5 can cast Haste before level 6 :smalltongue:
Trapsmith (PrC form Dungeonscape) can cast haste as 1st level spell. Unfortunatelly due to skill rank requirements (8 ranks in Craft(trap making), Disable Device and Search) you can't get into the class to cast haste earlier.

Lictor of Thrax
2012-11-15, 06:12 AM
Firstly wizard 5 can cast Haste before level 6 :smalltongue:
Trapsmith (PrC form Dungeonscape) can cast haste as 1st level spell. Unfortunatelly due to skill rank requirements (8 ranks in Craft(trap making), Disable Device and Search) you can't get into the class to cast haste earlier.

Yeah, my hope is to find something around that..cause Wizard 5 severely neuters things(for my build idea, is all)

Lictor of Thrax
2012-11-15, 06:17 AM
I can get Jaunter, Telflammar Shadowlord...but getting that haste Swiftblade, I can't wrap that up . . . but I was hoping for some crazy RAW nonsense.

I think I can do it with the Mystic Ranger/Sword of the Arcane Order stuff...but that is so poorly worded that then I'd need to sit and talk with my DM

There no way to get haste before 5th ot 6th level?

Azoth
2012-11-15, 06:24 AM
Suppose you could try to individual study an arcane version of swift haste which is a ranger 2 spell. Then convince your DM that swift haste qualifies since it states in the spell description is counts as haste.

Using that you could meet the haste requirement at wiz 4. So 2 levels earlier than a normal wizard could.

Lictor of Thrax
2012-11-15, 06:29 AM
Suppose you could try to individual study an arcane version of swift haste which is a ranger 2 spell. Then convince your DM that swift haste qualifies since it states in the spell description is counts as haste.

Using that you could meet the haste requirement at wiz 4. So 2 levels earlier than a normal wizard could.

I like that idea....All the requirement asks is that you can cast haste, nothing else.

Darrin
2012-11-15, 07:08 AM

Archivist 3, buy a Ranger scroll of swift haste, learn it as a level 2 archivist spell.

Kansaschaser
2012-11-15, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure if you are playing 3.5 or PF, but if it's Pathfinder, then the Summoner gets Haste at 4th level. That's one level faster than Wizard.

If you are playing 3.5, you might ask your DM if you can convert a Pathfinder class to 3.5. I'm sure it's not that difficult.

Talionis
2012-11-15, 09:34 AM
Not with my books, but can a Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium cast any arcane spell? If so they can send their Jinn to grab that spell at level one.

Axier
2012-11-15, 11:01 AM
Seriously needs more Kobolds.

Zaq
2012-11-15, 11:09 AM
Are items cool if you make them yourself rather than relying on random chance? An Artificer can make a pile of scrolls of Haste at level 3.

There might be some kind of shenanigans you can pull off with bloodlines, but those always confuse the hell out of me. And they're definitely shenanigans.

If you accept the Versatile Spellcaster interpretation that lets fixed-list casters access spells early, a Beguiler can get Haste at level 4.

Talya
2012-11-15, 11:17 AM
The ideas for Swift Haste don't work due to swiftblade requirements.

Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level spell slots to exclusively cast haste.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-15, 11:19 AM

From the Designer:

Speaking from an intent perspective (which I know counts for very little in the optimized forums) the idea is for the swiftblade candidate to use all spell slots (of the level in which haste is gained) to cast haste. The Dungeonscape book did not exist when Brian and I originally created the swiftblade, leaving us completely unaware of the trapsmith prestige class when it was finally released. If we had been aware, the special prerequisite would have read...

Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all spell slots of the level in which haste is gained to exclusively cast haste.

ahenobarbi
2012-11-15, 11:27 AM
Human Domain Wizard 1
Feats: Precautious appretience(1st level), magical training(human), versatile spellcaster(flaw).

1) Get magical training to cast some cantrips spontaneously, so you can qulify for versatile spell caster.
2) Get haste in to your spell book (so it will be your "spell known").
3) Precautious appretience gives you 2nd level slot.
4) Since you have 2nd level slot you get another 2nd level slot from domain wizard
5) Use versatile spellcaster and convert both 2ndlevel slots to cast haste.

ahenobarbi
2012-11-15, 11:38 AM

Using 0 3rd level slots to cast haste is trivial :smalltongue:

nedz
2012-11-15, 01:44 PM
A Cleric with the Time domain gets Haste at 5th.
Can you bolt a domain onto your existing build ?

Some Templates:

An evolved undead can have it for +1 LA, but you have to get lucky on a d12.

Half Clay Golem Template gets Haste 3/day as an SLA

Monster of Legend Template can have permanent Haste

I'll leave figuring out how to get these templates before 5th as an exercise.

ahenobarbi
2012-11-15, 01:46 PM
An evolved undead can have it for +1 LA, but you have to get lucky on a d12.

Half Clay Golem Template gets Haste 3/day as an SLA

Monster of Legend Template can have permanent Haste

I'll leave figuring out how to get these templates before 5th as an exercise.

I don't think you can qualify for swiftblade with those.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-15, 01:49 PM
There is a ruling in complete arcane that mentions that if a prestige class require an specific spell as a pre-requisite, a spell-like ability that mimic that spell could be used to qualify. Now that particular ruling was due warlocks and I think it only specifies warlock; but if not then you could do that.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-15, 01:49 PM
Artificer pretends to be a Trapsmith to make scrolls of Haste.

Archivist gets scrolls of haste from a Trapsmith with the feats or prestige classes to make Haste a Divine spell to cast into a scroll.