PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Conjure harmless frost

mishka_shaw
2012-11-15, 10:40 AM
Hi

In my friends campaign I will be asking him if he is accepting the ability to craft your own spells as per the DMG (1,00gp a level .etc .etc).
However before I ask I guess it would help if I have a balanced and usable spell written for him to scrutinise before-hand. Therefore I was hoping you could all scrutinise this homebrew spell and analyse it for possible op’ness.

The basics are that my Druid is from the arctic areas of Faerun and so feels at home when in extreme cold. Therefore I was thinking that she can work on a purely aesthetic spell that replicates the cold of her home.
It is a modified Entangle.

Chill Aura
Conjuration [Cold]
Level: Druid 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Targets: 20ft radius emanation centred on you
Duration: 1 Hour./level [D]
Saving Throw: See Text*
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)
The area around you immediately gets crystallized in frost. The frost is magical in nature and does not harm plants or objects that are affected.
Should the frost exceed the range of the spell, such as by the caster walking, than it immediately winks out.
*The aura also reduces the ambient temperature by one band (See DMG for temperature dangers).

Not sure if the temperature drop might bump it upto level 2 spell or not.
Any thoughts?

Saidoro
2012-11-15, 08:47 PM
So it's a more situational mass endure elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) with a shorter duration?
Level 1 is fine.

I suppose it could, in theory, be used offensively in an already cold area, but the low radius will generally prevent that from being a problem.