PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas

Tylorious
2012-11-15, 11:51 AM
I will be starting a level four character under a new dm in my group, the rest of my adventure party consists of a ranger, a barbarian, a rogue, and a wizard, i want to be useful to the group without negating any of the other characters. i played around with the warlock a bit and i think its much more fun in concept than it is to actually play. i would like to be a divine caster and also be able to be awesome with a two handed weapon. any ideas on a class i can choose?

Amnestic
2012-11-15, 11:55 AM
i would like to be a divine caster and also be able to be awesome with a two handed weapon. any ideas on a class i can choose?

Cleric fits the bill just fine.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-15, 11:58 AM
1Level up in Cleric
2 Grab a two handed sword
3 buff to hell and back
4????
5 Profit.

Depending on your group's optimization level, DMM persists might be an option.

Ketiara
2012-11-15, 11:58 AM
Druid and wildshape into an ape and later a legendary ape wielding something with twi hands... Perhaps spend a feat to be proficient with martial weapons

Tvtyrant
2012-11-15, 12:08 PM
Your party is mostly lower tier characters, with the exception of the Wizard. I suggest going Cleric and taking the War Domain to get greatsword proficiency. Your other domain is up in the air, but I like Strength for Enlarge Person.

Neither of these are exactly mechanically optimal, but they match your request and are not extremely over powered relative to your group. If you need more power go for extra turning, Divine Metamagic (from Complete Divine) and grab the metamagic Persist to buff yourself all day long.

Edit: If you find yourself overshadowing your teammates you might look into the Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) class, and use that to smite people.

Tylorious
2012-11-15, 12:11 PM
DMM persists?

ahenobarbi
2012-11-15, 12:20 PM
Get Extend Spell, Persistent Spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/forgotten-realms-campaign-setting--19/persistent-spell--2142/), Divine Metamagic(Persist Spell) (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-divine--56/divine-metamagic--660/) feats.

Burn Turn-or-rebuke-underad attempts to make your buffs last 24h.

Tvtyrant
2012-11-15, 12:26 PM
DMM persists?

Despite what we all have been tell you, Divine Metamagic Persist (DMM Persist) is an extremely powerful option that probably should be eschewed. Persist is a metamagic feat which makes a spell with target: Personal last 24 hours, in return for being 6 spell levels higher. Divine Metamagic lets you pay for those levels with your Turn Undead uses instead, which lets you stack Persist on spells you normally would not be able to.

Considering most of your party is made of mundanes, you should probably stick to spells (which are already over powered by comparison) and leave the DMM options to more powerful parties.

Tylorious
2012-11-15, 12:36 PM
Would there be any other classes besides cleric? I just want more than one option ha.

bluthunda
2012-11-15, 12:41 PM
Paladin has nice fluff to it not great but you wont be outshining anyone out of their place proficient with all armor and weapons not exotic tho. most people will say its low op or low tier but i can be fun to play

Tvtyrant
2012-11-15, 12:42 PM
Divine caster with a two handed weapon? There is Spirit Shaman (Spontaneous casting Druidy thing), Favored Soul (Spontaneous Clericy thing), Archivist (Wizardy books mechanic but has access to all divine spells), Paladin (smitey guy with some spells, becomes powerful with the right feats), and then a bunch of prestige classes you won't be able to get into at level 4.

Tylorious
2012-11-15, 12:44 PM
Divine caster with a two handed weapon? There is Spirit Shaman (Spontaneous casting Druidy thing), Favored Soul (Spontaneous Clericy thing), Archivist (Wizardy books mechanic but has access to all divine spells), Paladin (smitey guy with some spells, becomes powerful with the right feats), and then a bunch of prestige classes you won't be able to get into at level 4.

you are awesome, thank you!!!

dungeonnerd
2012-11-15, 12:45 PM
If you don't want cleric, but want to do melee damage then I agree with druid. At 5 you get wildshape, and hilarity can ensue without being overpowered, and you get heals/buffs. You're a divine caster, but not 2handed weapons - unless, of course, you shape into an ape and use a 2handed weapon instead of your natural claws. Take the feat Shifters Speech if you aren't going to take levels of Master of Many Forms, so you can cast while shifted.

If you want to do a more party-friendly role, and less in-the-face then you could go with Healer - again, divine casting without 2handed weapons, but you heal/cure stats better than a cleric does.

A paladin build would fill both roles as well - for something not overpowered, paladin2/fighter2 or paladin2/rogue2 would make you decent melee damage with a GS and able to throw some tactics around. Paladin4 would get you low level divine magic, but in general any pally levels past 2 are a waste - if you really want divine magic, paladin2/cleric2 would serve you better.

This, below, completely abandons what you asked for.
Or, if you want to go the damage control route and don't mind eschewing both 2handed and divine magic, there's always Dragonfire Adept. Grab some movement speed enhancing gear, and soften up the enemy for your melee bruisers to take down.

Tylorious
2012-11-15, 12:55 PM
Tvtyrant has the idea that I believe suits my needs best. Favored soul gets feats based on diety's favored weapon, if that weapon is two-handed, I will love life!