PDA

View Full Version : How would you improve this build?

Man on Fire
2012-11-15, 12:57 PM
Certain idea for a Monk build sprung into my mind recently. It's pretty much completely theoretical and I don't play on playig it in near future, so I thought "Why not see what playground think about it?".

Half-Minotaur LA +1 (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-minotaur.shtml)/Fighter 2/Monk 4/Fist of the Forest 3/Kensai 10

As for base race I was thinking of either Water Orc or Human with Yuan-Ti Broodguard (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/yuanti.shtml) template (eventually Water orc Broodguard but well, that's one strange mix). In Latter's case build would include Multiattack feat (qualified with Gore, Claws and Bite). Either way the build is going to include Vow of Poverty, with Kensai power of signature weapon focused on other types of enchanctments (except for Water Orc Broodguard who would have to do without it). Monk levels give it Ki Strike, which gives Fist of the Forest' Untamed Strike ability to fight incoropteral creatures, ighter gives it required feats faster.

So, do you see any flaws with it? Would it make a good Meele? Maybe I should replace some levels of Kensai with something else? As I said, I don't plan to play this guy anytime soon, so dont be afraind to have a blast with it.

dungeonnerd
2012-11-15, 12:58 PM
At level 3 buy off that +1LA (its in Unearthed Arcana) which frees up another class level. Then pick up one level of Shiba Protector for WIS to attack and damage rolls.

Eonir
2012-11-15, 03:16 PM
I would advise against VoP. It sounds like a lot of fun, but it really isnt. It works okay on druids and psions, but a martial character like yours is going to want his magic items.

dungeonnerd
2012-11-15, 03:43 PM
Kensai helps overcome some of the issue with VoP and martial characters. There are other issues, of course, but the bonusus aren't that bad in a standard to mid OP game.

Assuming a high-STR high-CON low-mental distribution, you might want to drop fighter2 for paladin2 (assuming a better CHA than WIS here) and take the feat that lets you use CHA instead of WIS for monk abilities. Then you end up with a nice buffer in saves for your early levels, then use the PHBII retraining levels to go back to fighter at higher levels if you want.

SowZ
2012-11-15, 04:18 PM
Kensai helps overcome some of the issue with VoP and martial characters. There are other issues, of course, but the bonusus aren't that bad in a standard to mid OP game.

Assuming a high-STR high-CON low-mental distribution, you might want to drop fighter2 for paladin2 (assuming a better CHA than WIS here) and take the feat that lets you use CHA instead of WIS for monk abilities. Then you end up with a nice buffer in saves for your early levels, then use the PHBII retraining levels to go back to fighter at higher levels if you want.

Sounds fine, yeah. If, however, you DON'T use Charisma, drop the Arctic template on your buddy over here. -2 Cha for +2 Con is worth it for most builds.